Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a great website!! Fabulous job.
Here's my Q: What should I beware of when shopping for my new Ody? warranty? extras?
negotiating? Also, anyone bought an Ody around the Cincinnati area?
Thanx.

·
Registered
52 Posts
We picked up our '02 RRP RES van last week from Wyler out on Colerain Avenue. If you want anything with leather seats, you will be waiting quite a while at any of the Cincinnati dealers from what I heard. The day we picked up our van, they actually had another RRP EX van show up that was unspoken for, so I guess it depends on what you want. Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am still debating whether I want an LX or EX. I definately don't want leather..I one kid and another in the oven, and I realise how of a mess they can make. I've heard the auto doors are really slow, plus for extra $2500 I save I can install a good keyless and cd changer aftermarket..any thoughts??

·
Registered
197 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Khale:
I am still debating whether I want an LX or EX. I definately don't want leather..I one kid and another in the oven, and I realise how of a mess they can make. I've heard the auto doors are really slow, plus for extra $2500 I save I can install a good keyless and cd changer aftermarket..any thoughts??</font>
When you're carrying a baby and shopping bags in your arms and have another young child that can climb in on his own, it makes it much easier to get those doors opened up when you're 3 cars away and the kid can get right in.

EX has other things, about 15 listed in the product brochure. One not listed is a denser fabric that I think would last longer.

I origionally wanted the LX no frills version (to save money), but after looking at them, I bought an EX instead.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You might want to check out a leather version before deciding. We are very impressed with the seats in ours, and having small children should definitely push you toward getting them I would think.

I would at least get an EX model, but that is my humble opinion. If you go to resell it, not having the power doors would be like reselling a '96 Chrysler van where the buyer decided to save the $250 and NOT get the extra sliding door. That ended up being about a $2000 deduction on resale value later on, I remember checking on it. And even if you aren't worried about resale, it is a very nice feature to have.

BTW, the doors operate plenty fast, I wouldn't want them to move any faster.

·
Registered
35 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> When you're carrying a baby and shopping bags in your arms and have another young child that can climb in on his own, it makes it much easier to get those doors opened up when you're 3 cars away and the kid can get right in. </font>
I totally agree.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I would at least get an EX model, but that is my humble opinion. If you go to resell it, not having the power doors would be like reselling a '96 Chrysler van where the buyer decided to save the $250 and NOT get the extra sliding door. That ended up being about a $2000 deduction on resale value later on, I remember checking on it. And even if you aren't worried about resale, it is a very nice feature to have.

BTW, the doors operate plenty fast, I wouldn't want them to move any faster. </font>
I agree with this, too.

We got our RRP EXL-RES at Wyler in Florence (KY, near Cincinnati) back in October for MSRP. They didn't really negotiate, but they didn't try to sell us a darned thing either. It was a strange "negotiation." I suspect they may be dealing more now that they seem to have more stock.

Hey, viperoo1, did you have your van at the Children's Museum last Thursday morning? I saw a "twin" to my van there (except it had cross bars and mud flaps, mine doesn't) -- it was the first time I had seen another RRP Ody in a parking lot. My son thought it was cool ("there's another red van JUST LIKE OUR VAN!!").

Carrie

·
Registered
52 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LuvMyRRPOdy:
I agree with this, too.

We got our RRP EXL-RES at Wyler in Florence (KY, near Cincinnati) back in October for MSRP. They didn't really negotiate, but they didn't try to sell us a darned thing either. It was a strange "negotiation." I suspect they may be dealing more now that they seem to have more stock.

Hey, viperoo1, did you have your van at the Children's Museum last Thursday morning? I saw a "twin" to my van there (except it had cross bars and mud flaps, mine doesn't) -- it was the first time I had seen another RRP Ody in a parking lot. My son thought it was cool ("there's another red van JUST LIKE OUR VAN!!").

Carrie
</font>
Wyler on Colerain also didn't try to sell us anything extra. My only complaint was the wait, being told in September that it would be "2 or 3 weeks" and having the van delivered on January 10th was sort of a "miss" from my point of view. But otherwise, we were treated well.

Wouldn't have been us, no cross bars, and my mud flaps just passed through a UPS terminal in Illinois on their way to Cincinnati so I doubt you could have seen them yet. :)

Kyle

·
Registered
131 Posts
Most of the dealers here in Western PA and Eastern OH are selling Ody's at MSRP minus the $440 destination fee.

------------------
2002 EXL-RES Redrock Pearl

2001 Chevy 2500HD crewcab 4x4

·
Registered
31 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Khale:
I am still debating whether I want an LX or EX. I definately don't want leather..I one kid and another in the oven, and I realise how of a mess they can make. I've heard the auto doors are really slow, plus for extra $2500 I save I can install a good keyless and cd changer aftermarket..any thoughts??</font>
I think leather is so much easier to clean up than cloth. We have leather in our infiniti and want it in the ody as well.

Our leather couch is so much easier to clean than the fabric chairs and love seat we have. Leather is very durable too.

OddGrinch

·
Registered
35 Posts
Kyle -- I get what you are saying about the delay. I test drove a 2001 Ody demo at the Colerain Wyler last summer. They weren't even taking orders yet for the 02, but the boss's wife offered her Ody up for test drives. The Florence brach was closer for us and they were willing to take our money right away.
Initially, they didn't give us a firm date, but told us late October. When they firmed up the date, they told us expected build date of 10/14, delivery around 10/28. We got delivery 10/20 so we were pleased. I figure they built in a little time to their estimated delivery date, but I am glad I didn't have to wait months longer than expected. The salesman even sent us a newsletter type update at one point during our wait.

Sorry that wasn't your van at the museum -- actually, I am not sure it was an EXL-RES (just know it was RRP-EX). But if I see another one around town with mudflaps and no cross bars, I'll honk.
We're the ones with the "Beer Drinkers Make Better Lovers" license plate cover (long story).

Carrie

[This message has been edited by LuvMyRRPOdy (edited 01-17-2002).]

·
Registered
52 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LuvMyRRPOdy:
Kyle -- I get what you are saying about the delay. I test drove a 2001 Ody demo at the Colerain Wyler last summer. They weren't even taking orders yet for the 02, but the boss's wife offered her Ody up for test drives. The Florence brach was closer for us and they were willing to take our money right away.
Initially, they didn't give us a firm date, but told us late October. When they firmed up the date, they told us expected build date of 10/14, delivery around 10/28. We got delivery 10/20 so we were pleased. I figure they built in a little time to their estimated delivery date, but I am glad I didn't have to wait months longer than expected. The salesman even sent us a newsletter type update at one point during our wait.

Sorry that wasn't your van at the museum -- actually, I am not sure it was an EXL-RES (just know it was RRP-EX). But if I see another one around town with mudflaps and no cross bars, I'll honk.
We're the ones with the "Beer Drinkers Make Better Lovers" license plate cover (long story).

Carrie

[This message has been edited by LuvMyRRPOdy (edited 01-17-2002).]
</font>
Interesting, you received your RRP EX-L RES van from another Wyler dealer in the same city on almost exactly the day we were first promised our van. That October van, which was supposed to be exactly what we wanted, showed up as just a RRP EX and we turned it down when they called to offer it with an aftermarket RES system installed instead. It is very possible that the van you got was destined for Florence all along, but it makes you wonder a little. Either way, I would never hold it against you. :)

I will also give a toot if I see another RRP RES van on the road with Kentucky tags. The only other one I have seen in the area was on the Norwood Lateral a couple of weeks ago. My license frame says "I'd rather be playing pinball", it sounds like your hobbies are probably more fun.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My van started out as a regular EX, but the dealer added leather (Katzkin). I went to the Katzkin web site and it says the rear bench in the kit is all vinyl (I checked,it is), but the other chairs are leather on the surface only. I'm not sure of the factory leather. All this to say, if you have messy kids, get the leather and have them sit in the back!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts