Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One on the dealer list for $15,999. It is EX-L with DVD.

Car fax shows it was personal use from Texas, and regularly services at Honda Dealer.

My wife concerns about the high mile. We have looked other choices. Town and country with comparable year and option would have lower mile (around 50k mileage). And 2009 Kia Sedona (LX) with 19k mileage we looked was about $2k more (but no leather or power door).

Would you buy Odyssey with higher mileage comparing to these 2 choices. How much would you pay? I think I can negotiate 1,000 lower.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is what shows on car fax

Date: Mileage: Comments:
07/03/2007 State inspection completed,Pre-delivery inspection completed
07/05/2007 10 Emissions inspection performed,Passed safety inspection
07/05/2007 20 Vehicle sold ,
9/13/2007 4,551 Maintenance inspection completed
12/05/2007 9,828 Manufacturer's recommended maintenance performed
03/11/2008 12,000 Vehicle serviced
05/13/2008 22,974 Manufacturer's recommended maintenance performed
Four wheel alignment performed, Maintenance inspection completed, Engine checked

08/01/2008 28,661 Manufacturer's recommended maintenance performed, Maintenance inspection completed, Four wheel alignment performed, Three tires mounted and balanced, Alignment performed
10/08/2008 34,001 Maintenance inspection completed, Oil and filter changed chassis lubricated, Tire condition and pressure checked
01/16/2009 40,809 Engine mount replaced, Maintenance inspection completed, Manufacturer's recommended maintenance performed, Engine checked
03/09/2009 44,667 Front brake pads replaced and rotors resurfaced, Maintenance inspection completed, Brake pads replaced and rotors resurfaced, Engine checked, Brakes serviced
07/01/2009 Registration issued or renewed, Loan or lien reported, Passed safety inspection
09/04/2009 Four wheel alignment performed, Transmission fluid changed, Two tires mounted and balanced, Maintenance inspection completed, Alignment performed, Tire condition and pressure checked, Emissions inspection completed
09/04/2009 57,279 Passed emissions inspection ,
11/02/2009 62,294 Front brake rotors resurfaced/turned, Tire condition and pressure checked, Brakes checked
12/18/2009 66,533 Front wiper blades/refills replaced, Maintenance inspection completed
Manufacturer's recommended maintenance performed ,
03/31/2010 Locate an authorized Honda dealer to obtain more information about this recall
04/20/2010 73,973 Maintenance inspection completed, Four wheel alignment performed
Manufacturer's recommended maintenance performed,

·
Registered
6 Posts
i would ask them to buy you a warranty. or at least give you a credit for the upcoming 105k service (timing belt/water pump)

·
Registered
887 Posts
Do you consider the other options a competitor of the odyssey? The kia is at the bottom of the list on the reviews, the t&c is a little higher. But the ody pretty much ranks the highest, followed by the sienna.

Personally, I would find an 07 or whatever year 05 and newer with fewer miles and drop a little more cash to do so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nateryan1 said:
i would ask them to buy you a warranty. or at least give you a credit for the upcoming 105k service (timing belt/water pump)
This dealer is a used car dealer, not Honda dealer. They may try to sell me 3rd party ext warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mattd said:
Do you consider the other options a competitor of the odyssey? The kia is at the bottom of the list on the reviews, the t&c is a little higher. But the ody pretty much ranks the highest, followed by the sienna.

Personally, I would find an 07 or whatever year 05 and newer with fewer miles and drop a little more cash to do so.
Kia dealer tries to get rid of their new 2010 stock for new model. They have $3,000 cash back.

However, I like Odyssey. But wonder the probability that we will have problem due to higher mile. We will use the van only around 7k mile a year.

Do you have much problem with the van when they have high mile (and being service regularly)?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Price doesn't seem bad to me. I was really surprised when I started sniffing around on what mine would be worth (about 75k miles on it).

Someone that only drives 7k miles a year is a perfect candidate for a high mileage used vehicle. You can get almost three years out of this before hitting 100k...I wouldn't sweat it at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bigbill25 said:
Skip the Car Fax. They don't show auctions. Do this instead:

http://www.autocheck.com/

--Bill

Here is what they show on carfax. Not sure what does it mean.

8/17/2010 79,954 Dealer Inventory Vehicle offered for sale

08/18/2010 Online listing Vehicle offered for sale

08/19/2010 Dealer Inventory Vehicle sold

08/23/2010 80,002 Auto Auction Sold at auction in Texas Listed as a dealer vehicle

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
I'd be most concerned about the fact that it appears there were 4-5 4-wheel alignments. Almost looks like the previous owner had some type of problem that they were trying to correct. We put 110k miles on our 03 Odyssey, and never had an allignment performed.

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
That's not a bad price if it is in good condition. I just paid $17.5k for an 05 EX-L (no Nav RES) with 62k miles.

Some things I found when looking at vans at dealers:
  • Some of the seats were broken. Check that all the seats recline and the middle seats tilt forward.
  • Not all items included. Does it include the middle-row middle seat? Does it include the little floor mat that goes in if you take the seat out?
  • Spare tire?
I'm sure there is more... I would go with the Odyssey. It's way more fun to drive and live with.

--Bill

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
psu ody fan said:
I'd be most concerned about the fact that it appears there were 4-5 4-wheel alignments. Almost looks like the previous owner had some type of problem that they were trying to correct. We put 110k miles on our 03 Odyssey, and never had an allignment performed.
These tend to pull easily due to road crown. They could have been complaining about that given the relatively low miles between some alignments. We drive some bumpy roads and are in need of the 3rd alignment. I've got a bad pull at the moment and the right-front tire is wearing on the outside. These tires are pretty much shot so I'm waiting until I'm ready to put the snow tires on.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sounds a bit high to me.

With newer model coming out now I would think prices will drop further in the next year than in the previous few years.

Then again maybe not because prices on new Odysseys are higher.

I got my 2k7 LX for $17k 2 years ago with 26k miles for point of reference. Mint condition.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
trip1ex said:
Sounds a bit high to me.

With newer model coming out now I would think prices will drop further in the next year than in the previous few years.

Then again maybe not because prices on new Odysseys are higher.

I got my 2k7 LX for $17k 2 years ago with 26k miles for point of reference. Mint condition.
The market two years ago was completely different for these "gas guzzlers". My Ody currently books about the same as it did two years ago. Edmunds and KBB have mine at $17k on a private party...that's an '05 EX-L R&N with 75k miles and only "good" condition. They list an '07 LX with 26k miles at $18k so you've likely appreciated as well.

We've been flirting with selling it and I checked values with a buddy of mine that has a dealership. He said models like mine are going through the auction at $14k so the $17k private number should be fairly realistic.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Used values got me thinking too. Kbb trade on mine is 15050 and ppv 18000. I want to see what they will let the 2010s go for when the 2011 hits the market. Maybe I will do some shopping in December...

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I'm not sure there's much inventory of 2010 Odys and very doubtful there will be anything left in December. Honda isn't known for leaving much inventory on the shelf when a new model arrives. The dealer that I bought my Ody has two 2010's...they normally have 6-10. Most of the dealers in Columbus have less than 10. I believe the 11's are due on the lots any day now so there won't be much if any 10's coming.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Good to know. I love car shopping in December, because nobody else is and you get great deals. But I typically buy used. Maybe I will have to look here soon. Last time I looked, Marysville only had a few, but Immke on Sawmill had a pretty good inventory.

I also want to check out the 2011. If it is that great, I think I will wait 2-3 years and then do something. My 05 is still doing good, under warranty to 100k or 2012, so I am not in a crunch or anything...

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I'd like to keep ours for a few more years and I don't have warranty. It runs fine and I'd be surprised if anything major goes bad in that period of time. But either way, even a transmission is cheaper than the first year depreciation on most anything else.

She's never truly liked the Ody but some of the features have been too hard for her to give up for something she does "like". For years it was the convenience of sliding doors with the little ones. Now that she's driven my Pathfinder she remember the PITA of putting groceries and stuff in the flat cargo area. If this thing got around a little better in the snow I don't think she would even be looking at anything else.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts