Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should I keep an eye out for a common issue or some of the bigger issue with their VCM2?

It's listed for $6.5k.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
982 Posts
2009 was the last year the Touring model was offered with PAX tires and rims. You will need to convert them to regular rims and tires if it hasn't already been done so. PAX was an option in 2009, though, so it might not have PAX to begin with.

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2009 was the last year the Touring model was offered with PAX tires and rims. You will need to convert them to regular rims and tires if it hasn't already been done so. PAX was an option in 2009, though, so it might not have PAX to begin with.
Thanks. Looks like the car has an aftermarket rim/tires. I'll confirm it when I go see it. This is the rim on the car currently.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Find out if the timing belt was changed and if the VCM was muzzled or not.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
The VCM function is known to cause piston ring damage, misfires, excessive oil consumption, vibration and failed engine mounts. Ask if this vehicle has or had any of these issues. Ask if the VCM function was disabled (muzzled).
Most knowledgeable owners of VCM Odyssey’s (Touring and EX-L models only) know the importance of disabling VCM with an aftermarket “muzzler “ device.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
761 Posts
With those aftermarket wheels, it most likely came with PAX and the owner de-PAXed it.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
982 Posts
Yup, you should be good to go with the aftermarket wheels. I highly, highly doubt that the van has been muzzled. Very few people know that their car has a feature called VCM, and even fewer know what it does.

Reactions: thscott

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup, you should be good to go with the aftermarket wheels. I highly, highly doubt that the van has been muzzled. Very few people know that their car has a feature called VCM, and even fewer know what it does.
Do I walk away if VCM isn't installed?

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
982 Posts
Not necessarily. I would check out the rest of the car, but price the potential for VCM problems into the price. If your criteria for looking for a used car is that the VCM was muzzled... you're going to have a hell of a hard time looking IMO.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
The Touring model has the VCM engine, so VCM is installed.

I think what you meant to ask is do you walk away if a VCM Muzzler is not installed.

The answer is no.

The VCM engine could be quite good and it will always benefit from adding a muzzler at this mileage.

If you do decide to buy it, your should definitely muzzle the VCM.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Who are you buying car from?

Do you have the Carfax for the vehicle, not perfect, but the best we can get for car history.

Remove spark plugs and look for oil fouling. You can also do a compression test while the plugs are removed.

Get a prepurchase inspection.

If you buy an EX or LX, you won't have any VCM issues.

The backup camera is crappy and only works well on cloudy days and at night.

Assume seller will come down at least 10% from the asking price. Use the inspection to bargain down the price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts