Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Gonna buy used Odyssey, have questions

692 11
Hi guys, prospective Odyssey buyer here. Going to try and buy a 2007 Odyssey EX sometime soon and I have a rough sort of plan when I do get one. 3rd row seats fold flat, which is great but the 2nd row does not, probably going to delete 2nd row seats altogether because this thing is going to be used mainly for hauling cargo and towing a trailer. I have tried searching online for a complete, one piece cargo floor liner that covers the entire floor assuming you delete the 2nd row seats, so far I haven't found anything, if any of you guys know where I can find something like this I'd appreciate it!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
6,427 Posts
Probably not going to find one for the entire floor but if you do a search many members have fabricated a false floor to go over the floor.

·
Registered
2010 EX-L 250,000 2010 Touring 120,000
319 Posts
Try Tractor Supply or Atwood’s for a horse stall mat. Trim to fit. I have a thick carpet removed from bedroom trimmed to fit in the back of mine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probably not going to find one for the entire floor but if you do a search many members have fabricated a false floor to go over the floor.
Try Tractor Supply or Atwood’s for a horse stall mat. Trim to fit. I have a thick carpet removed from bedroom trimmed to fit in the back of mine.
I'll look into making one if I end up buying the van. That being said I work at a dealer and we have CARFAX, so I ran the VIN on this van I got my eye on. I don't see any evidence in the records of a timing belt/water pump replacement at any point and the vehicle is at roughly 151,000 on it. Prev. owner lived in NC and moved at some point. Detailed dealer history shows it's had the updated torque converter done/PCM update, fuel pump and brake master recalls done so first owner took good care of it. Unspecified mechanical issue and towed couple year ago at 126k before current owner ...

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
6,427 Posts
From the photos it looks pretty clean, a lot like mine. But it is a bit concerning that everything including the engine bay looks very clean. As if something is being hidden.

Timing belt isn't necessarily a huge deal, you can always get it done after purchase.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From the photos it looks pretty clean, a lot like mine. But it is a bit concerning that everything including the engine bay looks very clean. As if something is being hidden.

Timing belt isn't necessarily a huge deal, you can always get it done after purchase.
I have yet to go see it, that being said I will absolutely be crawling underneath to check for rust and fluids. How likely is it that it's made it to 151k without a belt snapping or being replaced?

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
6,427 Posts
I have yet to go see it, that being said I will absolutely be crawling underneath to check for rust and fluids. How likely is it that it's made it to 151k without a belt snapping or being replaced?
Fairly likely. The interval is fairly conservative and the system can often go considerably longer. The first thing to go is typically the tensioner. Listen for a tick on cold start, which would indicate a tensioner on the way out.

·
Registered
2010 EX-L
5,251 Posts
If you buy it, make the timing belt your top priority. Nothing but the Aisin kit.
You may want to Factor the timing belt job ($1,000) into your offer.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Odyssey EX Slate Metallic Green
98 Posts
When I bought my 2009 with 139k on it, i looked through the car fax and since it was always serviced at the same dealer I was able to call them and got more service information, and they were able to tell me when the timing belt was done even though the carfax did not show it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'll look into making one if I end up buying the van. That being said I work at a dealer and we have CARFAX, so I ran the VIN on this van I got my eye on. I don't see any evidence in the records of a timing belt/water pump replacement at any point and the vehicle is at roughly 151,000 on it. Prev. owner lived in NC and moved at some point. Detailed dealer history shows it's had the updated torque converter done/PCM update, fuel pump and brake master recalls done so first owner took good care of it. Unspecified mechanical issue and towed couple year ago at 126k before current owner ...

@HondaGoBrrr Funny thing, I'm in the area and have had my eye on that van too. I'd like to find a 2007 - 2010 LX or EX. Noticed this van hasn't sold; in fact, It's been reposted on CL: 2007 Honda Odyssey - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive...

When I asked about the van's history, he told me: "No, I am not an original owner. I work in the landscape business and my client was selling it. It was supposed be for my wife but she prefers an SUV. Let me know if you want to come see it", and when I asked about the timing belt, he said: "No , they did not give me any records". So not sure how he can claim "Very well maintained", but anyway, with the resources you have, just wondering if there's anything that's been a red flag to you buying it? Thanks!

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
6,427 Posts
Really there are two possibilities with this van:
  • The previous owner cleaned it up very nicely to try and hide something major that's wrong (clean vehicle can mask a lot of sins, especially if the engine bay is clean)
  • The previous owner kept it clean because they cared about the car and maintained it well

1 - 12 of 12 Posts