Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a private party offering their ‘20 white pearl Elite for $40,000. Purchased earlier this year with less than 4,000 current miles. Excellent condition and they have had no problems. I am between waiting for the new Sienna to go on sale (but I can’t get a definitive answer on when that will be) or purchasing a new ‘20 EX-L off the lot while I can still find a white one, or this. Should I jump at this deal instead? I know what KBB says but y’all are the experts. Would you say that is a fair price?

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Platinum White Pearl on Mocha Brown Leather
776 Posts
What do they go for new?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Everybody sells for a reason...I would find the reason they are selling. If they are only selling for financial reasons, I would jump on the Elite over the EX-L mainly for the rear speaker option and the headlights. You can take what you saved over buying new and get an extended warranty. Also, offer what the van is worth to you...maybe they are willing to sell for $38,000 and offering 40 to see if anyone bites?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a private party offering their ‘20 white pearl Elite for $40,000. Purchased earlier this year with less than 4,000 current miles. Excellent condition and they have had no problems. I am between waiting for the new Sienna to go on sale (but I can’t get a definitive answer on when that will be) or purchasing a new ‘20 EX-L off the lot while I can still find a white one, or this. Should I jump at this deal instead? Would you say that is a fair price?
You should check this thread for prices paid.

EDIT: I misread the prices so have edited my response.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Platinum White Pearl on Mocha Brown Leather
776 Posts
Everybody sells for a reason...I would find the reason they are selling. If they are only selling for financial reasons, I would jump on the Elite over the EX-L mainly for the rear speaker option and the headlights. You can take what you saved over buying new and get an extended warranty. Also, offer what the van is worth to you...maybe they are willing to sell for $38,000 and offering 40 to see if anyone bites?
Rear speakers and headlights are an easy upgrade yourself for well under $2K even at dealer prices. So it all depends on a price.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It all came about because I messaged this person (an acquaintance that I just know of) to specifically ask if they had had any problems with their van as I was in the market and wanted to hear from someone locally about their experience. He said it has been great and problem free so far but then mentioned how it was purchased in a hurry without thinking through towing capacity and they would probably go back to a 4x4 eventually. He then said, they would sell theirs if I was seriously interested. They weren’t actually planning to sell anytime soon and no pressure or hurry but the offer is on the table. I haven’t even looked at it or driven it. I just wanted a price in mind before even talking further.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do they go for new?
I was looking at the spreadsheet and the more recent ones listed seem to go anywhere from $43Kish (one I saw) to $47k OTD. I will say I have very few dealers in my area and the one in town specifically prices very high with little wiggle room. The one about an hour away we emailed about an EX-L and they came back with a quote of about $36k base and when we mentioned that we had seen them go for closer to $33k base price they quit responding.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I, of course would like the Elite, but was looking at EX-Ls specifically solely because they have fewer tech components that could glitch from what I gather. My gut tells me just to wait until the Sienna comes out to compare the two and if they trade or sell before then then it’s my loss. Then again, that’s waiting for another 1st generation model that may be riddled with problems.

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
The prices paid thread is quickly outdated and many times not relevant to you if it's not in your general area as pricing can vary significantly by market or region. True Car is as good a pricing tool as there is, so use the website which makes you plug in your zip code and see what it says. That number is often beatable, but more like by hundreds and not typically by thousands. If you are hard nosed let's say you can beat that number by $500. Now take that number and compare it to the $40K You'll also save a few hundred in dealer fees, but that will be offset by the cost of getting it detailed if needed. I'd be looking to save a minimum of 10% over the cost of new, but that has to be your decision.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The prices paid thread is quickly outdated and many times not relevant to you if it's not in your general area as pricing can vary significantly by market or region. True Car is as good a pricing tool as there is, so use the website which makes you plug in your zip code and see what it says. That number is often beatable, but more like by hundreds and not typically by thousands. If you are hard nosed let's say you can beat that number by $500. Now take that number and compare it to the $40K You'll also save a few hundred in dealer fees, but that will be offset by the cost of getting it detailed if needed. I'd be looking to save a minimum of 10% over the cost of new, but that has to be your decision.
Good advice. Thank you!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wait for the new sienna. Toyota seems to have their act together
But wait for the 2022. Give them a year to iron out the kinks. Never buy first year of a redesign, Toyota included.

I'd also want to know why they are selling with so few miles? Seriously no problems? People don't buy minivans and trade them in 4,000 miles later unless something is wrong with them, that's taking a huge loss.

·
Registered
2020 Elite | Platinum White Pearl | J35Y6
274 Posts
I was going to say @serega12 it's not my white '20 Elite! lol

As far as the new Sienna @Azdude I'm still waiting to see how that 4 cylinder actually does with a full load. The 243HP is a combined figure ... although the electric motor may help with the deficit of torque on the lower end, the real question is how it'll do on the hwy with a load and passengers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts