Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a place with some good prices on 2 of the Pioneer 6.5 speakers. The store is located in NY and they said shipping to CA would cost only $9. Here is there website:

http://www.competitionsound.com/65speakers.html

1665 $55.98
1695 $77.93

After hearing all the rave reviews of the 1695s I decided to finally check'em out. I won a pair on ebay for $80 (including shipping).

After fiddling around with my amp settings I finally got hear how they really would sound through a powered amp. I can honestly say I'm very impressed with how it handles the bass. It's both smooth and punching. Pretty much what I was looking for. The only real gripe is the highs aren't as crisp as the Kenwoods I was previously using - but hopefully some new tweeters or an even EQ will solve that. Shin, any suggestions?

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nemogira:

After fiddling around with my amp settings I finally got hear how they really would sound through a powered amp. I can honestly say I'm very impressed with how it handles the bass. It's both smooth and punching. Pretty much what I was looking for. The only real gripe is the highs aren't as crisp as the Kenwoods I was previously using - but hopefully some new tweeters or an even EQ will solve that. Shin, any suggestions?

-Nestor
</font>
Hey Nestor, glad to hear you got you some speaks! The only thing I can recommend off the bat is tweeter rotation angle. Rotate the tweeter so the long axis points toward your ear for more highs.

Now, if you really like a brighter sound, ambience tweeters could be a good option for you, on your door sail panels, on the A-pillars, or even in your dash cutouts (ugh, really dislike that though, personally). Lots of models out there. I could help you find some if this is a route you want to take... (but you know my opinion on ambience tweeters overall, right?)

Barring that, you may just want a different type of sound that the 1695s just can't offer you. I can see the audio bug building inside of you now... (hee,hee)

But cereal (you've heard that expression, right?) you may want something more than the 95s can offer you. All speakers are a trade-off. They all have strengths and weaknesses, and each is assessed differntly based on personal preference.

Also, I would discourage the use of an EQ, even a good parametric one for this purpose. I've really only found EQs usefull when trying to tame down peaks, not to increase a lack of something that is fundamentally missing. It doesn't sound good, and can be counter productive on a dynamic headroom standpoint.

Anyhow, congrats, and good luck! Keep me posted on your audio quest.

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Shin! Yeah, the audio bug IS "slowly" growing inside me
. I'll probaby install some tweeters in one of the pillars you recommended. BTW, do you have any experience with any of the tweeters on the site I mentioned earlier? I must just buy from them - they have pretty darn good prices!

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nemogira:
Thanks Shin! Yeah, the audio bug IS "slowly" growing inside me
. I'll probaby install some tweeters in one of the pillars you recommended. BTW, do you have any experience with any of the tweeters on the site I mentioned earlier? I must just buy from them - they have pretty darn good prices!

-Nestor
</font>
Hey Nestor,
I took a look.
As far as I could see, the only options there on that website were Pioneer, Infinity, and Polk.

Based on what I know of you I don't think any of these would suit you very well, except maybe the Perfect. I think you want a very crisp sound that goes well with percussion, rock, dance, that type of thing. You're not an instrumental (classical) kinda guy, right?

I think you'd prefer MB Quart tweeters. MB is known for their titanium domes, great if you like that kind of sound. Ebay has ALOT of Quart, and there are a couple of online dealers I know of that sell them. But then you start talking ~$75-$100 easy just for those.

OK, I'm gonna say it and you may not want to hear it, but here goes....

Consider going the component route and sell your Pioneers to somebody else looking to upgrade. You have an aftermarket deck, amp, etc... AND you primarily use this car for yourself. I'd have recommended components to you before, if I had been able to talk to you sooner. Just a thought. Not trying to unduly influence you into spending more money than you planned. The thing I fear is that you sink another $100 into your stereo and you are still disappointed that it doesn't sound the way you wanted. Go with components and spend $200+, I can say with confidence you'll be at least satisfied, if not very happy.

Let me know what your thoughts are.

------------------
-Shin John

·
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions Shin. Actually, after reading the numerous post & reviews of the 1665s I've come to the conclusion they may be the solution to my little 'issue' with the 1695s. I basically like the bass the 95s puts out but still wouldn't mind having more "crisper" sounding highs. Hopefully the 65s will accomodate that. I think I'll try them out and go from there. Thanks again!

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
185 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shindog:
<snip>
...if I had been able to talk to you sooner....Not trying to unduly influence you into spending more money than you planned.
</font>
RUN AWAY NESTOR - RUN AWAY!

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gettin'AVan:
RUN AWAY NESTOR - RUN AWAY!

</font>
Funny, my wife says the exact same thing to all my other friends.....
It seems to be a pattern with me....
I wonder why?
LOL!!!!

------------------
-Shin John

[This message has been edited by shindog (edited 12-13-2001).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts