Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Good wipers, anyone

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  albaby 
#1 ·
After only a couple months, I found the wipers to be substandard. After 4 months, I really need to replace them. I thought it might just need rubber refills already, but now I think the design is just poor.

First, they don't appear to have the air spoilers our previous cars have had which force them down more evenly on the glass. Second, I think the blades might not be rigid enough, since there always seem to be gaps where they miss across the length of the blade.

Anyone put on a nice aftermarket brand? If so, which ones, and what size?

#2 ·
tridon exact fit are the best wipers my glass shop has installed in 12 years. you can not tell them from the oem brand

------------------
2000 lx,fern grey,remote starter,honda single disc cd player,honda roof rack with cross rails,honda bra, hidden hitch,csa 5 spoke alloy wheels,15% film over oem privacy glass

#3 ·
I have always had really good luck with Bosch wipers and refills on my other cars. I replace my wipers every six months or so. I also clean my windshield with a cleaner/compound called Strip-it. It cleans everything off the windshield and polishes the glass little. The grime that gets on the windows causes problems more often than wipers wearing out. Windex and "glass" cleaners just don't cut it sometimes. The "Strip-it" works well.

Mac

#4 ·
Wipers: There's a company that makes some high dollar wipers that are natural rubber with a teflon strip. I'll see what I can do about tracking down the info on it.

Cleaner: Rain X makes a good glass cleaner. It's a mild abrasive that you rub on the glass, then hose off. I then follow it with regular Rain X.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

#5 ·
Thanks to recommendations here and on Edmunds, I bought a set of Bosch Micro Edge Excell Replacements.

24" for the driver side, and 21" for the passenger. The 24" seemed exact, while the 21" was maybe 1/2" longer than stock. Both fit fine, and don't have the bald spots the OEM passenger side developed. Time will tell.

These seem well made, and claim to have an aerodynamic shape to keep them on at all speeds. This appears to be due to louvres in the top of the frame. On the minus side, they are non-refillable.

Thanks for the comments.

#9 ·
I just saw Jim's comment about Rain-X. I'd been using it for a few years on other cars and was satisfied. I tried it on my Ody after the first time I washed it. I didn't think I would ever get the streaks off. Next time I think I'll follow Chuck's lead and use Zaino Z-2.

Mel

#11 ·
Good find,Jerry. Now need to find a dealer of these. I've owned a few PIAA products and have been satisfied with the quality and performance of each.
I'm searching.......

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)

http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

#12 ·
Funny, my first set of blades lasted about a year, then I ordered another set of inserts from hondapartsforyou.com for about 6 bucks for 3, and they work wonderfully. I've tried all the aftermarkets in the past and the best ones I've used are the Anco's. I buy the winter blades and they last me til next winter. Maybe your blade brackets are malformed, causing the insert to not seat properly on the glass. Either way, let me know what works!!
Walt

#14 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2000 TL:
Try here:

http://www.sspinc.com/wipers.cfm

Great blades and worth every penny! I have them on the Acura.
</font>
2000TL,
Not bad,price wise. Ican't see the PIAA's being that cheap. Gotta pay for that PIAA name, you know.
Have you gone through a whole year with the wipers ? How has the silicone stood up to the elements ?
Thanks,

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)

http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.