Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, first time post but long time Ody owner :) We bought a 2004 Ody EX-L brand new back in '04. It was mainly my wife's transportation on a long commute back and forth to work, but we have 3 kids and whenever we went anywhere or took trips it was also in the Ody as my Mustang is too cramped for all of us. Since '04 we managed to rack up 276,000 miles on it. It never once left us stranded anywhere, it never had a single breakdown or even a tire blowout. It still has it's original motor and it ran as good yesterday as the day we bought it. It burned no oil, made no smoke, and purred like a kitten. About the only major thing we had to do to it was replace the tranny about 140k miles ago. Other than that it just needed typical maintenance- brake jobs now and then, tire swaps, fluid changes, belt swaps, etc. We kept it extremely well maintained mechanically. Our kids were never kind or gentle to it and my wife was terrible about keeping it clean, but despite the abuse of kid traffic and constant food all over the floor the interior held up extremely well. I always joked with my wife that should be get stranded in a snowstorm we could survive for weeks just off the food all over the floor ;) It was involved in a few accidents that were mainly cosmetic, but it still had much of the original paint on it. The only other things I can think of to comment on are that the clock light quit working and we never replaced it because it would have required removing the entire dash, the button (that holds the buckle from sliding down) came off of one of the seat belts and had to be sewn back on, the rear windows were unreliable as far as opening/ closing and a crack was just starting to form on the driver's seat leather. It did have general wear spots on some of the interior surfaces too, but overall it gave us impressive service over the years and held up impressively to the kid treatment. It also hauled trailers now and then and was used for hauling landscaping and construction materials home. It is INCREDIBLE how much stuff you can pack in with the 2nd row seats removed and the 3rd row stowed. And being able to haul 4' x 8' sheets saved me more than once! It's a model of versatility.

I'm speaking in past tense because we traded it in yesterday on another Ody. We originally planned on getting a new one, but the tsunami in Japan has caused product shortages and we couldn't get any of the dealers to work with us much on the price. So we ended up getting a beautiful 2009 Touring edition. Hopefully it too will give us many years of service :) We hated parting with the '04 because it did feel like a member of the family. Hopefully it'll go to a nice home and continue to perform perfectly for its new owner :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot about the motor mounts, we did replace them at least twice. And headlights, we sure went through a bunch of headlight bulbs on it! I'll add other stuff here if/ when I remember it :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
we said goodbye to our '03 yesterday, also bought new. It only had 78k miles and recently threw a tranny code. In addition, it had several other problems that made it too expensive to fix. I also had the clock light fixed (under warranty), and a broken front engine mount. It also needs an ABS modulator and a rear vent window motor.

We bought it shortly before the birth of our 2nd child and so we've watched our kids grow up in it. My wife was pretty broken up about saying goodbye; I was too but the new 2011 EX-L eases the pain. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Twright,

We parted with an 04 in Nov 2010. It only had 66K on the clock so we turned it in way too soon. Not by our choice, but by the choice made by another driver. Another Honda (Fit) driver decided to turn left in front of my wife as she entered the intersection at 45mph. The van was totaled, but my wife and two kids walked away with nary a scratch (thank you God and Honda engineers).

We replaced it with a 2010 Odyssey Touring. After 6,000 miles and our first oil change, I must say that this is a much nicer vehicle than the 2004. Nothing against the 2nd gen vans, but the 3rd gen just feels much more solid on the road.

We miss the 04. We had to say good bye much too early. But if the last six months with the 10 are any indication, we're in for as good or better ownership experience.

Good luck with your 2009.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imref- congrats on your 2011 :) Personally I leaned towards getting a 2011 despite the dealerships' lack of willingness to deal on price because I just like the appearance better (more car-like in my eyes), but my wife is so scared of wrecking a new one that she actually preferred getting a used one instead. She does tend to be a little... -ahem- "tough" on vehicles ;)

F18Lumpy- sorry to hear about the accident but glad to hear the family was unharmed! Wow, that sounds like a scary accident! I agree with you on the 3rd gen being generally nicer, our '09 is much quieter and smoother on the highway than the '04 was. Very little road noise gets through, and no wind noise like the '04 had. I greatly prefer the interior colors and finishes too, it has a more high-end feel to it. Everything was the same gray color in the '04, but the '09 has some nicely constrasting finishes. We really love it so far :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
oh man...we traded in our 2001 last year for a 2006. Like you, we did feel like it was part of the family and served us really really well. I remember feeling guilty when we passed our parked 2001 as we left the dealership with the 2006. That was definitely a sad moment.

Congrats on your 2009!

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
When mine is gone, it will be like getting rid of a cancerous tumor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts