Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm no expert on tires, but I thought I would share my experience. I live in Wisconsin and was looking for a good all season tire to replace the lame OEM Michelins that wore out at 40,000 on my 2007 Odyssey EX-L. Because Goodyear offers a 30-day no hassle guarantee, I tired the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred. They were rated high on Consumer Reports and I liked the idea that they were rated excellent in snow and ice. I was a bit concerned though because I had read terrible reviews about road noise and a hard ride. The Goodyear guy said "Don't pay attention to those reviews; they were for an older model tire - these are a new redesign for 2011." OK, I went for it. From my experience, I would NOT recommend the Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds. They gave a very hard ride. I thought I was driving a dump truck. I felt EVERY bump -- and hard. As for road noise, there was some, but I was concerned it might worsen as the tires aged. I only had a few instances to try them in the snow and ice and they did feel very good and secure in these conditions. Maybe if I lived in Alaska, or the Colorado mountains where I had to deal with snow a lot, I would choose the TripleTred. I went back to the dealer and switched to the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring. They guy at Goodyear (a different one) said he would have never recommended the TripleTred for an Odyssey or Sienna. It was a great choice. The ComforTreds are indeed smooth and quiet. I feel like I'm driving a car instead of a dump truck. I tested them in snow and ice and they performed well. So I recommend the Assurance ComforTred touring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
After a lot of research, reading, and discussion with tire people, we put Goodyear Assurance Comfortread Touring tires on our 2003 EX. I cannot be more pleased with a tire purchase than I have been with this one. The vehicle had Dunlop Signatures on it (don't get me started!) that were HORRIBLE! They road like bricks, were noisy and the belts failed partially, one at a time, causing them to go "square". The Goodyears ride very smooth and quiet. The handling is not what I would call superb, but I've only been around this vehicle for 3 years, not having driven it when it was new, and I doubt that one of these boxcars would handle any better than it does right now, regardless of the wheels/tires combo (I drive a 2005 VW GTI most of the time, so my nervous system is strung too tight for the Ody every time I get in it). A little background on me and my judgment, regarding tires: I was a Mercedes mechanic for 20 years, and I have driven and/or worked on everything from Camaros to Cessnas. I have been exposed to just about every tire make there is...and these Goodyears are impressing me, every time I drive this car. I am a dyed-in-the-wool Michelin guy, and I bought these tires because we live in a relatively rural area in NoCal, and my wife has been dealing with the Goodyear garage for 18 years...she was hesitant to have anyone else service the car, as this bunch has been honest and caring. My discussion with the fellow at the garage yielded this advice from him..."there are Comfortreads and Comfortread Tourings, and it's worth the slightly higher price to buy the tourings. They're built with a wider, stronger belt, and this is important on a high, heavy, front-heavy vehicle like the Odyssey." So far, I'd say he's been spot on. Will report back later if this experience sours with mileage, but I'm betting against that happening :^)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've had both ComfortTreads and CT Tourings on my old Galant, and I can say that those were some of the best tires I've ever had. I put the ComfortTreads on in the summer of 2008 and three hard years and ~60K hard miles later (and I do mean hard, I have a lead foot) I replaced them with the Tourings. Very quiet tire, stayed quiet their whole time on the car, held the road fine in wintery conditions, excellent rain tire, all that. Only reason I'm not still driving on them is because that car got totaled while parked in a parking lot. I would've replaced the bald tires on my new Galant with them, but I put a 18 x 8" wheel on this Galant and needed a different tire (went with Kumho Ecsta LX Platinums in 225/40ZR18, couldn't be more satisfied). When the time comes to put tires on the Odyssey, Goodyear ComfortTreads it is!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought the TripleTreds about 2years ago and have put on 40k+ miles. While the tires are decent in snow, they are LOUD. Like the OP, I do not recommend them.
Currently I am eyeing the deal from discount tire direct and will be purchasing the ComfortTreds soon to replace my Tripletreds.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had both on my Sienna., and agree with some of the posters above. The TT's were louder than the CT's, but seemed to perform much better in the rain and snow. I originally got the CT's, but the tire shop could never get them properly balanced. I eventually switched to the TT's.

·
Registered
2005 Odyssey 210,000 miles
199 Posts
I had both the ComforTred and the FuelMax on our 05 Ody and both developed the same problem. At least one tire in each set would feel out of balance, and re-balancing several times would not fix the problem. Almost like the tire wasn't round or true. To bad because the CT rode real smooth and the FM actually did seem to increase MPG.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Couple questions. The balance issue and CT tire sizes.
Depaxed a couple months ago and already have had two sets of tires on my new wheels and about to go get them replaced tomorrow due to balance issues with possible comfort treads.
Is this a common issue? I had them installed center rings on my wheels but did not help. Currently have the Yokohama yk580. Our of the shop the tire was amazing compared to previous tires that went back to shop after a month, but now after about 1000 miles the wheel vibrates, it pulls to the side and the tires are louder than before. And yes, wheel alignment was done. Could it be the wheels that have an issue?
Going in tomorrow for comfort treads, anyone running them on 17's? What size??
Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've had Comfort Tread Tourings on my '10 for about two months now and while they are very smooth riding and quiet, I've lost about 2 MPG over the OEM tires they replaced. Needless to say, I'm not thrilled to lose the MPG.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts