Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I am from the www.acura-tl.com website. One of the guys directed me here and said you guys know everything about installing navi to a non navi car. I have a 2000 Acura 3.2 TL with non navi. I got the Navi from a Junk yard and all i have is the moniter and the hardrive. I have some of the wiring but will probably purchase a new one from acura. Who in here has done this? I would be very greatful for pics and advice. I would be the first person to do this to a 2000 tl. Thanx guys

------------------
SILVER BULLET
2000, Acura, 3.2TL, Satin Silver
[*]AEM Cold Air Intake [*]AEM By-pass Valve [*]Fog Lights [*]Spoiler [*]Bra [*]Splashgaurds [*]Wind Deflector [*]Blue Indiglo Emblem [*]Xenon High Beams [*]Two Audiobahn 12's In Bandpass Box [*]600X2Watt Amp [*]800X4 Orion Amp [*]15%Tint [*]Two 50 Series 3 Chamber Flowmaster [*]3" Bosal Bro Tips [*]Took Out Both Resanators [*]Radar Detector [*]Custom Mesh Grile [*]Clear Front headlights [*] Painted Engine [*] Painted Calipers [*]Strobe Lights Front And Rear [*]Silver Trim Kit [*]Nuspeed Springs (Cut) [*] Varad Scanner [*]Custom Lettering [*]Remote Start Viper 550[/list=1]
Items To Come:
1.T.V. 2.Playstation 2 3.GPS 4.Rims 5.NOS 6.Turbo 7.CD Changer

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Hi,
First of all, welcome to our board. You are correct, there is acutally ONE person here who's done this mod. (not me!)
I'd rant and rave about his ability, but I'll just point you here first to start, I'm sure he'll chime in and give you a hand if he can. He's a great guy, and one of the few people I know who are determined (crazy?
) enough to do this mod.

All I can say to you is, best of luck!

http://www.odyclub.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000067.html

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Welcome, asif! An Acura poster on our site? As George Costanza would say, "worlds are colliding!!".
We on this site humbly refer to Nestor, who converted his non-navi Ody to a Navi, as the "Mod God". Should he elect to assist you and your clan, consider yourselves worthy.

(Your list of mods - is that what you did this past week?)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aight fellas. lol you guys crack me up. I am wating for all mighty mod king i geuss lol. Well someone hurry and find him cuz i need him. Thanx guys

·
1,484 Posts
Hey asif2002,

Here I am! The living legend himself, at your service.

Okay, just wanna let you know that I AM working on a write up of the basic steps involved in this conversion. Keep in mind, there is a LOT of things to explain so it may take me a while. But I will try my best to help you take on this monstrous mod.

-Nestor

BTW, Shin John, Grouptset...your check is in the mail.

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
1,484 Posts
Okay here we go...

First off, I just want to warn you there is a lot, and I mean A LOT of things you have to do to get this convertion completely working. But don't worry - it can be done! Let's see...where to start? There's so many things to explain so...right now I'll just explain the major areas of the conversion. And then when...or should I say IF you decide to actually start this - I'll give more on the various details that might help you along the way.

Also, you might want to keep the phone number of that junkyard you got the NAVI from because you may have to go back and take some more of it's parts. Okay, here is what's needed:

1) Code - First off you will need to know the 4 digit code for that NAVI unit or else you won't be able to use it.

2) Helm Manual - You definitely need a Helm Service Manual for your particular TL model. I needed it because I had to take out my entire dash to replace the wiring harnesses that ran intriquitly throughout the inside of it. Removing and reinstalling the dash is the single most difficult part of this whole conversion, at least on the Odyssey it was. The Odyssey dash is a single hunk of plastic, metal and wires all wrapped together. Also, in order to remove it you will have to take out the various things in it's way such as the front seats, steering wheel column and a bunch of other things too. All the instructions on how to remove these things can be found in the Helm Service Manual. Note: I highly recommend scheduling a convienent time (for you) to do all this because it will require you car to be offline and non-movable for a period of time. At LEAST 2 days, is my guess.

3) Two Wiring Harness Clusters - For the Odyssey there are 2 major wiring harness clusters running throughout the dash. One harness is refered to as 'Dashboard' and the other is 'Instrument'. They are also known as Cluster A and B. You will need to get wire clusters specifically made for a TL with NAVI model. I had to buy these brand new because it was too much work to get them out of the wrecked Odyssey at the junkyard. One cost around $120 and the other is $200. In this diagram they are #4 and #8: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/catimgs/13S0X0_B07.gif

Here is a pic of my old non-NAVI wiring clusters: http://www.nemogira.com/odyssey/MVC-081S.JPG . Note: Before removing the existing harnesses make sure you know and REMEMBER how it's layout in the dash because you will have to reinstall the new clusters in the same exact way. You might want have a camera near by to record how its layed out.

4) Climate Control Buttons - Because you're putting the NAVI display unit where the old AC controls used to be you will need a different set of buttons that will be placed inbetween the upper vents in the dash. It's easy to get this out of the wreck. In this diagram it's all of #13: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/catimgs/13S0X0_B1702.gif

5) Climate Control Computer Unit - You'll notice the AC Buttons are only just buttons. It doesn't have the computer unit built in like how the non-NAVI TLs/Odysseys have it all in the center dash panel. This computer, on the Odyssey, is located right above/inbetween the the glove compartment and the passenger side airbag. It's basically a white plastic box with harness outlets. It's pretty easy to get to so you might want to get that from the junkard as well. Just remove the glove comparment and you should be able to see it. In this diagram it's #11: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/catimgs/13S0X0_B1702.gif . FYI, this unit is needed in order for the AC to work.

6) GPS Antenna - You should be able to get this from the junkyard as well. In the Odyssey it's mounted in the top center of the dash. It's used for picking up those satellite signals. In this diagram it's all of #10: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/catimgs/13S0X0_B1120.gif

7) Sub-Wiring Harness - This wiring harness is the thing that connects one of the 2 wiring clusters to the NAVI Hard Drive (HD). The Odyssey's sub harness runs & starts from the lower center of the dash and ends up under the front passenger seat area. In this diagram (left side) this is how it would be layed out: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/catimgs/13S0X0_B1120.gif . Note: This is not a diagram of the sub harness, but rather how the GPS runs - which is similar to how the sub harness in the Odyssey runs. I'm not sure what the 'official' name of this harness is because I was able to get it from the junkyard. I believe the TL has the NAVI HD unit mounted in the trunk which is considerably father than where the Odyssey's is. It's up to you if you want to get this harness from the junkyard or not. Our is pretty easy to remove. I'm not sure too about the TLs though.

8) Speed Pulse Generator - From my understanding the NAVI unit gets signals from both the GPS (which tells the location of vehicle) and a Speed Sensor (tells how fast the vehicle is going). Now normally the speed pulse is generated from a device called the VSP (Vehicle Speed Pulse) sensor. On NAVI models it's mounted on top of the transmission and generates a pulse based on the a gear rotating in the transmission. But the details for that doesn't really matter because I wasn't able to get that to work. I know for sure because I did buy a new VSP and installed/wired it but it never generated a pulse for the NAVI unit to pick up so I found another device called a Speed Pulse Generator (SPG) made by Pioneer (there's also one made by Alpine). Both of them are more or less the same device so either brand should work with the Honda/Acura system - which BTW is made by Alpine.

Currently, this unit is being used (as an option) on both Alpine and Pioneer's navigation systems. What's different about this device from the VSP is it generates a pulse based on the rotation of 1 tire that has been magnatized. It's kind of hard to explain but just know it DOES work. You do have to hotwire one of the SPG wires to the wire that accepts the VSPs signals on the NAVI HD unit. You'll probably understand it better once you get to that point.

9) Miscellaneous - Things like mounting screws and brackets. Although these will probably come with the units if you can get them from the junkyard. If not they'll only cost you a couple dollars or even cents. Also, remember to get the center plastic dash panel from that wrecked TL.

Well, I hope that didn't scare you off TOO much. I've never EVER thoroughly explained how this is done because I feared it just be a wait of my time. But since you already got the 2 major components (the display and HD unit) then it shows me your were willing to take the first big step in the conversion. Now I just hope you (or whoever is doing it) is up for the even bigger challenge of removing and reinstalling of the dash. Anyways, good luck to you and let me know if there's anything else you need to know.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOW! You guys are very helpfull people. I wasnt planning on getting this much input from any one. I would like to thank Nester very much, I am sure I will be talking to you alot very soon. I also want to mount My Gps in the front of my TL. In the TL it is mounted in the trunk but I want to do the conversion to my TL so it has Playstation 2 in it and I can watch DVDs.Thanx alot man. Peace

------------------
SILVER BULLET
2000, Acura, 3.2TL, Satin Silver
[*]AEM Cold Air Intake [*]AEM By-pass Valve [*]Fog Lights [*]Spoiler [*]Bra [*]Splashgaurds [*]Wind Deflector [*]Blue Indiglo Emblem [*]Xenon High Beams [*]Two Audiobahn 12's In Bandpass Box [*]600X2Watt Amp [*]800X4 Orion Amp [*]15%Tint [*]Two 50 Series 3 Chamber Flowmaster [*]3" Bosal Bro Tips [*]Took Out Both Resanators [*]Radar Detector [*]Custom Mesh Grile [*]Clear Front headlights [*] Painted Engine [*] Painted Calipers [*]Strobe Lights Front And Rear [*]Silver Trim Kit [*]Nuspeed Springs (Cut) [*] Varad Scanner [*]Custom Lettering [*]Remote Start Viper 550[/list=1]
Items To Come:
1.T.V. 2.Playstation 2 3.GPS 4.Rims 5.NOS 6.Turbo 7.CD Changer

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nemogira:
...welcome to club and let the world colliding begin!
</font>
<center>
</center>

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys. I can prob get my hands on about 20 of these. They need to be prepaid and they are going for $110. Let me know. PM me if you want in. This is to switch Navi to Video. Very hard to find.

·
Registered
2 Posts
nemogira

Great post. I was trying to figure out where the GPS would be on my 2002 Odyssey EX-RES. Step #6 GPS Antenna was key. As soon as I read that step, I immediately went out to our car and popped the square piece out of the top of the dash. To my surprise the square is actually attached to a connector with 2 wires running down into the abyss. Do you know what this connector does in a non-NAV Odyssey?

My Plan is to install a Garmin GPS 16 on the dash and connect that to my laptop. Thanks to you I'll be routing the power-data cable easily through the dashboard and below the center console.

-brisher

GPS 16
http://www.garmin.com/products/gps16/index.html

·
Registered
415 Posts
asif2002

Hey guys. I can prob get my hands on about 20 of these. They need to be prepaid and they are going for $110. Let me know. PM me if you want in. This is to switch Navi to Video. Very hard to find.

These what? The infamous AVC-RGB1? Or an equivalent for PS2 to Navi image?

·
Registered
368 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Bogus... Thought so. Any alternatives for a PS2 to Navi?

·
1,484 Posts
brisher,

I think you're talking about the sun/temperature sensor. It's near the windshield and is black, correct?

The GPS (in an EX-NAVI) is mounted behind, in your case, the clock/hazard button in the EX.

-Nestor

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was referred here from an Acura board on Edmunds. I've got a 2002 Acura MDX with the navigation system. I'm looking for a conversion to allow me to play DVDs on the Nav system. It sounds like there was a part to support this mod but it is no longer available? Thanks for any help.

·
1,484 Posts
The part that's no longer available is the Pioneer AVC-RGB1. There is another part that works but its more complex and needs extra components for it to work. I suggest either doing an Odyclub site search on the word "GEX" or contact member VideoNAVI. Good luck!

-Nestor

·
Registered
2 Posts
nemogira,

Thanks for the reply. It is black and in the center-front of the dash. There is 1 transistor in the housing and that's it. I've got my Helm Shop manual coming and I'll make sure to find out what it is before modifying it's location. It's real easy to run a line from there through the dashboard into the bottom of the console.

I'll start another thread on putting NAV in a RES Odyssey.

-Ben

1 - 20 of 20 Posts