Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was disappointed. I was upgrading from 1.09j. I live in California and travel all over. Stockton, CA was not very detailed in 1.09 and still isn't in 2.05. My co-worker has 2.03 and Stockton was detailed the same as 1.09. My conclusion is that 2.05 is just and revision of some data in terms of places like gas stations, etc. If you are hoping for more street detail, you will certainly be disappointed.

If anyone wants me to look up certain parts of the US to determine detail, please post an address you would like to use as an example and I'll give you the results (like if the street number doesn't show up and just the street name).

Later...

·
Registered
157 Posts
How many major roads show up in LaGrange, GA? Any? It's 50-60 miles southwest of Atlanta on I-85.

·
Registered
585 Posts
That's very disappointing.

Would you look up:

Monroe, Louisiana Kathy Lane, 32

That's my parents house where we visit often and if that's not there, I ain't forking over no cash.

·
Registered
79 Posts
2.05 came on my '02, but I noted that a restaurant is listed that hasn't been there for at least 4 years. It actually closed, another opened, then the state bought the property, tore it down for a highway expansion.

So the database is not too fresh. However I did note that the streets where I work are listed by name (and they are not public streets). I don't have access to an older version, so can't compare.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Man314:
How many major roads show up in LaGrange, GA? Any? It's 50-60 miles southwest of Atlanta on I-85.</font>
About a dozen with some state routes. No specific addresses when I chose some streets.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
That's very disappointing.

Would you look up:

Monroe, Louisiana Kathy Lane, 32

That's my parents house where we visit often and if that's not there, I ain't forking over no cash.
</font>
Well you better get out the Thomas Bros. maps. No Kathy Lane on 2.05; just Kansas Road w/no street number.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lwaltz:
2.05 came on my '02, but I noted that a restaurant is listed that hasn't been there for at least 4 years. It actually closed, another opened, then the state bought the property, tore it down for a highway expansion.

So the database is not too fresh. However I did note that the streets where I work are listed by name (and they are not public streets). I don't have access to an older version, so can't compare.
</font>
I had a gas station that closed down over a year ago on the map. Some streets in cities already well defined reflected recent changes though (e.g. a new on ramp for a freeway was there)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I also find this news a bit disappointing. My version 2.05 update is on its way; I have a 2000 Odyssey and have held off updating until there was much more detailed coverage -- the PDF shows thousands of detailed cities and that is what I was expecting...

If you don't mind checking:

On the system information screen, what is the version and database? (I have version 1.09j and DB ADB0520; Version 2.04 on a friend's Acura has DB ADB0720)

Thanks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jimblock:
I also find this news a bit disappointing. My version 2.05 update is on its way; I have a 2000 Odyssey and have held off updating until there was much more detailed coverage -- the PDF shows thousands of detailed cities and that is what I was expecting...

If you don't mind checking:

On the system information screen, what is the version and database? (I have version 1.09j and DB ADB0520; Version 2.04 on a friend's Acura has DB ADB0720)

Thanks.
</font>
Maybe you're on to something.

Information is:

Version: 2.05
Database: ADB0750

I would conclude that the 2.04 version isn't too much different that the 2.05 version even if you include database version.

I'm going to email Navigation Technologies and find out the deal on Honda's list of cities and what each version had or updated. Nav Tech might not tell me anything since it would be an OEM issue specific to Honda (had that same problem with my wanting to change my head player out and Alpine wouldn't tell me anything about the head unit).

·
Registered
24 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by booboy97:
Maybe you're on to something.

Information is:

Version: 2.05
Database: ADB0750

I would conclude that the 2.04 version isn't too much different that the 2.05 version even if you include database version.

I'm going to email Navigation Technologies and find out the deal on Honda's list of cities and what each version had or updated. Nav Tech might not tell me anything since it would be an OEM issue specific to Honda (had that same problem with my wanting to change my head player out and Alpine wouldn't tell me anything about the head unit).
</font>
Please let us know what you find out.

As a suggestion, you might also want to mail Alpine (since they sell the DVD for Honda) and maybe even Honda -- since it is their product and web site that point to the sale. If the cities listed in the PDF are not detailed then the PDF is certainly misleading...

·
Registered
255 Posts
This doesn't sound good. Would you mind checking Tulsa, OK to see what's covered? I currently have Ver. 2.04; it just shows the interstates running through town and a couple of other highways. Does Ver. 2.05 show any local streets/street names/ restaurants/etc. at all? Thanks for checking.

------------------
David
'01 GG EX-NAVI
Classic Soft Trim leather kit; Audiovox entertainment system; Gentex auto dimming compass/temp rear view mirror; Pioneer speakers front & rear; leather steering wheel wrap; splash guards; cargo tray; cargo liner; power door mods; Helm manual; Honda litter bag.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by groupset:
This doesn't sound good. Would you mind checking Tulsa, OK to see what's covered? I currently have Ver. 2.04; it just shows the interstates running through town and a couple of other highways. Does Ver. 2.05 show any local streets/street names/ restaurants/etc. at all? Thanks for checking.

</font>
You're in luck. Tulsa, OK is fully detailed (as far as I can tell). There are places listings so I think you are OK.

------------------
2000 CSS Odyssey EX-Navi w/Leather
Sony MDX-C800REC MiniDisc Receiver
Polk 602a (Front)
Polk 402a (Rear)
Alpine powered center(for Navi voice)
Bazooka EL8A-HP Powered Subwoofer

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thanks very much for checking, booboy97! I sent you an email request also; you can ignore that.

------------------
David
'01 GG EX-NAVI
Classic Soft Trim leather kit; Audiovox entertainment system; Gentex auto dimming compass/temp rear view mirror; Pioneer speakers front & rear; leather steering wheel wrap; splash guards; cargo tray; cargo liner; power door mods; Helm manual; Honda litter bag.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, I received my update DVD today (by 2nd day UPS air) and it was as we feared -- it is certainly more detailed than my version 1.09 was, but nowhere near as detailed as the PDF on the order page implies.

There seem to be 3 types of coverage:
1. Fully detailed where every street is listed and street addresses are known.
2. "Detailed" -- cites where some major streets are listed, and sometimes a gas station, ATM or restaurant, but no street address.
3. Undetailed -- a city or town's location is known but if selected the navigation system will lead you to approximately the center of that town.

The 225 pages of detailed cities in the PDF include (mostly) the partially detailed -- type 2 above.

There are some more fully detailed areas, but many of these were already included in version 2.03.

I probably will keep the DVD because the database of locations has been significantly updated since 1999. And I don't really feel like arguing with Alpine about returning an opened DVD -- of course you wouldn't know about the problem until you open it.

However, the PDF on the order page is definitely misleading.

Caveat emptor -- buyer beware!

[This message has been edited by jimblock (edited 09-18-2001).]

·
Registered
255 Posts
jimblock - would you mind checking the Tulsa, OK area and advising if it falls under your category "1" or "2"? On my current version 2.04, only the interstates and a few major roads around Tulsa are shown - no street level detail or POIs at all. The upgrade's worth it to me if Tulsa is now fully detailed; if it's a category "2", however, I can probably wait 'til next year. Thanks very much!

·
Registered
24 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by groupset:
jimblock - would you mind checking the Tulsa, OK area and advising if it falls under your category "1" or "2"? On my current version 2.04, only the interstates and a few major roads around Tulsa are shown - no street level detail or POIs at all. The upgrade's worth it to me if Tulsa is now fully detailed; if it's a category "2", however, I can probably wait 'til next year. Thanks very much!</font>
Groupset, you appear to be in luck. Tulsa looks like it is fully detailed now. There are many streets listed (hundreds it looks like) and you can search by street address (at least on a random one I picked).

I also saw some restaurants listed.

Give me an actual address and I'll try it next time I'm in the car...

[This message has been edited by jimblock (edited 09-18-2001).]

·
Registered
255 Posts
Sounds like it is detailed now - that jives with what Navigation Technologies told me over the summer (that they had just completed detailing this area). I was hoping it had made it into ver. 2.05. I'll probably go ahead and keep my DVD that's on order; it sounds like it's certainly more detailed than the current version I've got. Again, thanks very much for checking!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Was very disappointed with 2.05.It had no new coverage in my area in Wisconsin.It missed a bypass around one city that's been there for years. It added a couple resturants and missed some big ones. Wish there was a way to preview the coverage before buying. What a waste of $152.00.

·
Registered
43 Posts
would someone check Lebanon, PA
for me. I might not open the dvd and send it back.
I already have 2.03
I thought this was a major upgrade
Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tmc128:
would someone check Lebanon, PA
for me. I might not open the dvd and send it back.
I already have 2.03
I thought this was a major upgrade
Thanks

</font>
Sorry,

Only major roads through Lebanon (e.g. 5th, 9th 10th and 16th show up but not the others). Looks like it's minimal coverage

------------------
2000 CSS Odyssey EX-Navi w/Leather
Sony MDX-C800REC MiniDisc Receiver
Polk 602a (Front)
Polk 402a (Rear)
Alpine powered center(for Navi voice)
Bazooka EL8A-HP Powered Subwoofer

1 - 20 of 35 Posts