Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had put in a $100 deposit thru dealer #1 a month ago which they had promised me to take deliver in less than 3 months. In the meantime, I registered in honda.com, and they forwarded my my name thru one of my local dealers (dealer #2).
Dealer #2 called me on 10/2, and they had the VIN number and expected to take deliver in less than a week. The dealer did not want to quote over the phone, and I had to negotiate the price in person. Initially they wanted $3500 over MSRP, and I stuck with MSRP regardless. After 3 hours of negotiation and test drive, I have made them to agree with MSRP. They called me 2 days later, and I picked up my 2002 EXL-RES on 10/5. The paper work went very smooth.
Over the weekend, I put in 130 miles on it. The engine has a lot of power, and the trans is very smooth. The DVD works fine even with VCD disks, but it doesn't work with any of my CD-R, or CD-RW VCD movies that I made.

The issues that I have are the following,
1) Whenever I open the hood, I need to slam the hood in order to close it. The hood sheet metal is too soft to push it down and lock the hood.
2) Whenever I drive to the road that is not smooth, I can hear the "tick" or rattle noise from the left side. I am still investigating.

During the visit in Dealer #2, they do have a lot of 2002 EX or EXL. They do expect to sell these very quickly.

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gtse:
1) Whenever I open the hood, I need to slam the hood in order to close it. The hood sheet metal is too soft to push it down and lock the hood.
</font>
Check out Chuck pictures. Look under Hood - Adjustment Bumpers

Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

[This message has been edited by nemogira (edited 10-08-2001).]

·
Registered
92 Posts

2) Whenever I drive to the road that is not smooth, I can hear the "tick" or rattle noise from the left side. I am still investigating.

</font>
Congrats on your new van. I know what you mean about the soft sheet metal. When my '01 was hit and couldn't be driven the body shop guys pushed it into the garage... leaving 4 impressions from their hands in the liftgate.
Is the tick or rattle sound related to any certain speed? What did you think of the overall noise inside the van while driving?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nemogira,
Adjusted the Hood bumper doesn't help. The bumpers are used to help in pushing up the corners' of the hood. Someone told me that the weather strips along and underneath the hood caused the problem. It may get soften as time goes.

3odys4me,
Sorry to hear about your accident.
The rattle doesn't seem to related to any speed. On highway, no bumps, the ride is very quite. On local street, when there are a lot of rough surface, I can hear the rattle on every bump. In general, I think the noise level seems OK for me, since I have a lot of baby stuffs at the back. And of cause, my 97 maxima is much quiter during any normal driving.
I have also notice, from stop and go, the engine throttle is little louder than my maxima. Other than that, the engine is very quite. When I am driving 60mph on highway, the RPM only goes up to about 1600. At 70mph, the RPM goes up to 1700. Compare to my maxima at 60mph, the RPM goes up to 2300.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Nemogira,
Adjusted the Hood bumper doesn't help. The bumpers are used to help in pushing up the corners' of the hood. Someone told me that the weather strips along and underneath the hood caused the problem. It may get soften as time goes.

3odys4me,
Sorry to hear about your accident.
The rattle doesn't seem to related to any speed. On highway, no bumps, the ride is very quite. On local street, when there are a lot of rough surface, I can hear the rattle on every bump. In general, I think the noise level seems OK for me, since I have a lot of baby stuffs at the back. And of cause, my 97 maxima is much quiter during any normal driving.
I have also notice, from stop and go, the engine throttle is little louder than my maxima. Other than that, the engine is very quite. When I am driving 60mph on highway, the RPM only goes up to about 1600. At 70mph, the RPM goes up to 1700. Compare to my maxima at 60mph, the RPM goes up to 2300.
</font>
Thanks. It's hard to isolate a noise sometimes. Especially when your van is never completely empty. Sedans are great when it comes to being quiet, but odys are perfect for lots of baby stuff. Enjoy your new van.

·
Registered
207 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 3odys4me:
When my '01 was hit and couldn't be driven the body shop guys pushed it into the garage... leaving 4 impressions from their hands in the liftgate.</font>
Wow, it's pretty bad when hand pressure can leave an impression. Is it really that flimsy?

I haven't owned a minivan in several years but I don't recall the sheet metal on the creepy Astro van I used to own being quite that soft. Nor, for that matter the old Aerostar or my friend's Voyager. Pretty strange.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have checked the owner's manual, didn't recall what page was that related to the hood open/close instruction. The manual mentioned to lower the hood about a foot away from the bottom, and let go. I think dropping the hood is the proper way to go with Odyssey.

Still have problem with the following issue,
1) Rattle on left-side sliding door. If the bump is deep enough, the left-side door warning light flash on dash.
2) The AM/FM radio reception sucks. I never have any reception problem in the city with any other car. I only get 2 dots or less on the signal strengthen meter. A lot of static whenever I change the volume on some stations that I used to listen all the time.

I called the sales, and he is trying to arrange with the service manager to check the problems this afternoon.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have the same problem of a rattle on the left side on bumpy roads. It seems to be coming from the sliding door but I haven't been able to pin it down yet. Otherwise it runs GREAT.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hello - I see you are from Brooklyn (place of my humble birth). We live in Westchester but would be willing to take a little drive to save the "because we can" premium. This is assuming your dealer still has inventory. So...who's your dealer? Thanks.

GAV

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GAV,
Email me your name, phone number and model/color that you want. I will have them to call you. I don't think you can get MSRP from a cool call, since I have already spent 3+ hours with them. They were very nasty at the beginning, now I have very good relation with them all including the sales, manager, and director. I will try to hook you up with the proper persons.

[email protected]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts