Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally got it on 1/24. After I learned that the wiper stalk was not a gear selector, things went well---only took me 5 or 6 times to teach myself (I'm embarrased that it took me so long).

Now remember that I'm coming from a 96 Villager so my views may be amplified, but I love it so far. The power is great, the quiet is nice though there might be a little road noise due to tire tread and wheel wells needing sound proofing, the leather looks super, and the stereo good even without the sub woofer or upgrading my speakers. And of course, I totally love the navigation. I know it is just a toy (my keeps reminding me in case I ever forget), but it is very cool. My twin boys love it, especially "Susie". Susie is the voice that gives directions.

First couple of tanks, in mostly city driving were 16 & 17 mpg. Not great, but not bad, but the van hasn't been broken-in yet. I often wondered in reading other posts why city mileage tends to be poor while the same post quotes very good highway mileage. My guess is it is due to the grade-logic shifting of transmission. When driving in the city, I can feel the subtle downshifts when I am coasting and braking to a stop in city traffic, even the tach will shows the minor downshifts in RPM . I'm not complaining because I live on a hill and like the assist when coming downhill.

I'm also teaching myself that I drive a dark grey car not a granite "green" one. All comments from friends are the same, "I don't see any green".

My last thought is whether anyone makes a single complete floor mat that runs from in front of middle seats, between them to the cargo area? It would still allow use of magic seat since it attaches on the sides. I think that would really protect the carpet, look nice, and provide better insulation. I'm thinking about making my own template, cutting a piece of matching carpet and having a carpet place bind the edges for me. Heck, if I like it enough, I might try selling them. :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
Congradulations on your new van. Your mileage will get better. The highway mileage is much better because of the 5th gear overdrive. I think that the 5th gear is .53 to 1 or something like that. You are only turning 2200 rpm at 80 miles per hour. Enjoy.

·
Registered
55 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by voyager:
Well, I finally got it on 1/24. After I learned that the wiper stalk was not a gear selector, things went well---only took me 5 or 6 times to teach myself (I'm embarrased that it took me so long).

Now remember that I'm coming from a 96 Villager so my views may be amplified, but I love it so far. The power is great, the quiet is nice though there might be a little road noise due to tire tread and wheel wells needing sound proofing, the leather looks super, and the stereo good even without the sub woofer or upgrading my speakers. And of course, I totally love the navigation. I know it is just a toy (my keeps reminding me in case I ever forget), but it is very cool. My twin boys love it, especially "Susie". Susie is the voice that gives directions.

First couple of tanks, in mostly city driving were 16 & 17 mpg. Not great, but not bad, but the van hasn't been broken-in yet. I often wondered in reading other posts why city mileage tends to be poor while the same post quotes very good highway mileage. My guess is it is due to the grade-logic shifting of transmission. When driving in the city, I can feel the subtle downshifts when I am coasting and braking to a stop in city traffic, even the tach will shows the minor downshifts in RPM . I'm not complaining because I live on a hill and like the assist when coming downhill.

I'm also teaching myself that I drive a dark grey car not a granite "green" one. All comments from friends are the same, "I don't see any green".

My last thought is whether anyone makes a single complete floor mat that runs from in front of middle seats, between them to the cargo area? It would still allow use of magic seat since it attaches on the sides. I think that would really protect the carpet, look nice, and provide better insulation. I'm thinking about making my own template, cutting a piece of matching carpet and having a carpet place bind the edges for me. Heck, if I like it enough, I might try selling them. :)
</font>

·
Registered
55 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by voyager:

</font>
Don't feel bad Voyager, I had the same learning curve with the wiper/gear shift thing.

On the carpet item, I have a Silver Ody and the interior is Quartz(Gray). Walmart has auto carpeting (with the edges nicely binded and finished) that fits perfectly between the seats and covers the areas not covered by the standard Ody carpet mat. I just cut the Walmart carpet crosswise, sewed the cut, and tucked the cut edges under the factory mats.

The only problem I can see is that the GG has a fern, not gray, interior. The gray carpet from Walmart matches the Ody gray carpet and it's under $10. I'm sure other stores sell the same type of carpet runner in different colors. Good Luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts