Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have noticed some odyssey's have grab handles above the sliding doors. is this new for 2002 or has it just been availible for the ex trim level?

------------------
2000 lx fern grey with mods

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
It's new with the 2002's (wish I had it on my '01 EX
), along with the coat hooks in the second row. However, I did install my own coat hook mod; I'll have to post a picture some day.

Mel

[This message has been edited by Mel (edited 02-04-2002).]

·
Registered
530 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mel:
It's new with the 2002's (wish I had it on my '02 EX...</font>
Why is it new for the 02's but your 02 doesn't have it? I'm ordering an EX with leather and Nav., should that have it?

·
Registered
31 Posts
has anyone retro-fit grab handles from 2002 into (2001 or earlier?)... our ody was bought to ride my disabled grandma around (2nd row)... grab handles would help a lot in ease of entry from wheelchair to van...

jq
GG '01 EX-N

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
That was a finger check in my previous message; mine is a '01 EX.

I looked into installing handles and hooks from '02s in my '01. It looks like it is possible, but I determined the cost (~$75, IIRC) and effort wasn't worth it. The parts man that helped me says the roof is the same part number for '01s and '02s and the handles are mounted on self-tapping screws. It sounds like a GREAT topic for a Tech Section article.

Mel

·
Registered
31 Posts
mel
was wondering what you meant by installing coat hooks in your '01 ody.... are they different from the ones that retract in the third row?

jq
'01 GG EX-N

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jay-q:
mel
...are they different from the ones that retract in the third row?
</font>
They sure are!

I really missed having a coat hook that I could easily reach w/o having to fully open the side door. I considered installing the grab handles and hooks from the '02s but couldn't justify the cost and really didn't want to fuss with taking the headliner down to see where I was drilling holes.

I looked at a number of hooks (even tried some mounted with adhesive, they fell off the first chilly morning) and considered using some knob type drawer pulls. Eventually I installed number 34186 (although number 34160 is probably a better choice). I mounted them on the rear side of the upper trim piece between the front and center doors. I reinforced the mounting by cutting a fender washer to fit a void in the trim piece. It's not terribly difficult but you need to remove both seat belt bolts to get the trim pieces off.

I wish they were a little "longer," but they work fine for just holding a jacket or coat by the hanging loop. (One of these days I'll get around to posting a picture of the installed knobs. I didn't take any during the installation.)

Mel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts