Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again,

I'm having trouble installing our Graco SnugRide w/ Base. It is part of our new travel system, so I need it to work.

Basically, Honda, oddly enough, put the seat belt buckles forward of the seat crease. This seems like it would cause problems with quite a few seat bases. The manual specifically says that forward buckles should not be used...

Anyway - has anyone used this seat or a similar one w/ base in their Ody? The base has a seat belt path that is basically just loops on each end of the base. The belt goes in one side and apparently expects to go down into a buckle on the other. In my Ody the buckle side doesn't work right because the buckle part seems to get pulled into the base, and then the base wants to tilt on the buckle instead of being pulled down towards the seat.

I'm going to call Graco about a LATCH conversion Kit, but wanted to bounce this off ya'll as well.

Thanks for any advice!
Carlos
ody newbie
'01 MB EX two weeks old

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
I can't offer any specific advice, since I'd probably need to see it to do so. So, I'd suggest you visit a certified carseat technician or fitting station in your area for help. You can try calling local police/fire/hospitals. If they can't refer you to someone, please post your zipcode.

Graco does have a forthcoming LATCH retrofit kit. At a recent conference, they said it would be released this fall.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I also intend to use the Graco Snugride in my 2002 EX (expected Ody arrival: next week; expected baby arrival: three weeks). I saw that the Right Start has a foam wedge that one can put under the front base of the carseat, where the seat meets the back, to ensure a proper angle. Since many seats slope down toward the back for passenger safety reasons, maybe your carseat is sliding in too deep, and thus also too close to the seatbelt buckle. I wonder if the wedge would lift the seat to a good angle and also far enough away from the buckle so that it secures properly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Also, I contacted Graco about a LATCH kit too. They replied:

"Thank you for contacting Graco. At this time Graco does not currently have a system available that will work with the new LATCH system. We are working towards meeting this future requirement and will offer a solution in the upcoming months. Feel free to check back with us as information is
updated on a regular basis. Thank you for your interest."

Oh well.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Graco Snugride has an adjustable base that already incorporates a method for ensuring the proper angle.

My solution was to pick up a "MightyTight" and tighten the seatbelt LOTS.

------------------
2002 Mesa Beige EX-L-RES - on order
2001 Mesa Beige EX - recently sold

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pummal:
The Graco Snugride has an adjustable base that already incorporates a method for ensuring the proper angle.

My solution was to pick up a "MightyTight" and tighten the seatbelt LOTS.

</font>
Before using an aftermarket product like this one, I would definitely suggest having a certified technician do a free inspection. They might be able to get an installation just as good, without compromising the carseat with a product that is not tested, recommended or approved by any carseat manufacturer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
caviller said:
I can't offer any specific advice, since I'd probably need to see it to do so. So, I'd suggest you visit a certified carseat technician or fitting station in your area for help. You can try calling local police/fire/hospitals. If they can't refer you to someone, please post your zipcode.

Graco does have a forthcoming LATCH retrofit kit. At a recent conference, they said it would be released this fall.
Caviller, any update on this? Your insight is appreciated. Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts