Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Our family plans to visit Grand Canyon at the end of June 2011 for about 3-4 days or so.

Any advices will be appreciated!
- Places to visit
- Restaurants
- Hotels
- Any kids attractions
etc. etc.

·
Registered
134 Posts
We went there over spring break a few years ago. It was cool. We liked Sedona a lot too, probably better than the canyon. We stayed in the onsite hotel that looks like a 1970s hotel. It was perfect for us. Besides that we just wandered around and looked at the canyon from different overlooks, and hiked a little ways down Bright Angel trail. I think the best food there was in a smaller restaurant close to the rim. Can't remember the name. Be ready for big crowds, I think. And don't feed the squirrels. :)

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We went to Grand Canyon in June and here is a brief tip:

1- Hotels in Tusayan (about 12 miles South of GC) are in general mediocre.
The "free" Wi-Fi is virtually non-working. Checking simple emails took 30 minutes, while at home it took me 30 seconds.
This is because Tasayan does not have high-speed internet (supply and demand). This may change in the future.

2- Food in Tusayan is also mediocre. No good restaurant.

The businesses in Tusayan know they can get away with mediocre service and people still come (b/c the tourists have no choice).

3- In retrospect, if I have to do this again, I'd stay in Flagstaff: better hotels, Wi-Fi, and restaurants because Flagstaff is a bigger city.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's been a few years but I would agree the hotels in Tusayan are not that great. We stayed at El Tovar in the park and really enjoyed our stay. Most of our meals at the attached restaurant were good to outstanding. Best hot chocolate too! By late afternoon it was pretty quiet and felt like we had the place to ourselves. Bonus, you can live out your Clark Griswold fantasies! Enjoy your trip!

·
Registered
16 Posts
We visited the North Rim a few years ago. The North Rim is very high elevation, is covered in forests, and the temperatures are very cool there. It's beautiful! We stayed in a little town right across the border in Utah where there were hotels and restaurants. We chose to stay in Southern Utah because we visited Bryce Canyon the next day because it's very close to the North Rim, and if you buy the year passes for the National Parks you can use it there too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts