Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my 2011 Odyssey today. I wasn't planning on it since they didn't have the color we were looking for and I figured it would be a few weeks before they got it. They had the same car in our second choice color on the lot and gave us an even larger discount and we decided to go with it.

Unfortunately b/c I wasn't prepared to get the car today I didn't do my research on Honda Care and way overpaid based on the prices I've seen here. I think I overpaid by about $500-700 for it.

Do I have any recourse in terms of a cancelling the Honda Care and basically renegotiating it? Part of me feels like it was my fault for not doing my research but that being said it does seem like quite an excessive mark up.

I don't want this to tarnish my experience with the dealer. I got a very good price on my car and a good price on my trade. I just wasn't prepared with my research on my warranty and it cost me.

Any thoughts on how I should proceed?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can cancel with full refund in 60 days.
Do you have a link? I didn't see that on the brochure and I want to make sure when I call them that I see it in writing.

Also, if I do cancel it am I able to repurchase it later? I am interested in an extended warranty on the Odyssey since we plan on keeping it for probably 6-8 years. With all the electronics in the car (we got a Touring) it does seem reasonable to have the warranty.

I'm almost embarrassed to give my pricing but I guess I better get over it. I paid $1790 for a 2011 Touring. It sounds like people around here are getting $1250 for 8/100 and under $1k for 7/80. Granted I don't know if those were for non-Tourings and if the Touring adds a lot b/c of the nav and dvd entertainment.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link. I never want to use Yahoo Answers as a source, but I did go through my contract and it does state I can cancel for a full purchase price refund within the first 60 days. I'll have to call and see what they say as well as check with another dealer on pricing for just the Honda Care. Thanks.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Why don't you tell the dealer you'd like a better deal on Honda Care or you are thinking about cancelling the sale? I think many states have cooling off periods, so you may have an out.

·
Registered
186 Posts
You can cancel with full refund in 60 days.
+1

I think you should double check and make sure you can buy another before you cancel...I'm not sure if you can buy Honda Care again after cancelling. I'm pretty sure there is a question asking if the car has been previously covered by Honda Care.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
+1

I think you should double check and make sure you can buy another...I'm not sure if you can buy Honda Care again after cancelling. I'm pretty sure there is a question asking if the car has been previously covered by Honda Care.
Exactly, that is my issue. I don't know if cancelling within 60 days mean that it is like never having it. I don't really know who to call thought to get these answers. I don't know if I can expect an honest answer from the dealership.

Part of me is thinking I should just suck it up and not worry about it. I got an e-quote for $1000 for the same policy so basically I spent an extra $800. Is it my fault for not being prepared when I walked in the dealership or is that what the 60 day cancel period is for?

·
Super Moderator
13,838 Posts
Call your dealer and cancel the policy. Tell him you don't want it. The only catch is that if you financed the car with AHFC, you will NOT get the money back on the refund of the policy. They will send all $1800 to AHFC but on the bright side, your loan goes down.

Get HondaCare online and save yourself $800. You can send me $50 for giving you excellent advise on this board.

·
Super Moderator
13,838 Posts
+1

I think you should double check and make sure you can buy another before you cancel...I'm not sure if you can buy Honda Care again after cancelling. I'm pretty sure there is a question asking if the car has been previously covered by Honda Care.
Oh yes you can cancel at the selling dealer and buy online. Many on here have done that before.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Call your dealer and cancel the policy. Tell him you don't want it. The only catch is that if you financed the car with AHFC, you will NOT get the money back on the refund of the policy. They will send all $1800 to AHFC but on the bright side, your loan goes down.

Get HondaCare online and save yourself $800. You can send me $50 for giving you excellent advise on this board.
Should I tell him I don't want it or see if he will drop the price on it? I didn't finance it but I did pay for it in cash along with the entire car. I didn't write a separate check just for the HC. Will that be a problem?

Thanks for the advice. I don't know if I can promise $50 but perhaps a Super Moderator title...oh wait....

·
Super Moderator
13,838 Posts
Should I tell him I don't want it or see if he will drop the price on it? I didn't finance it but I did pay for it in cash along with the entire car. I didn't write a separate check just for the HC. Will that be a problem?

Thanks for the advice. I don't know if I can promise $50 but perhaps a Super Moderator title...oh wait....
Start with you don't want it and negotiate your way up. :D

If you paid cash for all of the car and the warranty, you're golden. I personally paid with a separate check for the warranty but the crooks still sent the money to AHFC citing the loan paperwork did not have a clause. I even asked them why did they think I gave them a separate check just for the warranty. The sales clown knew exactly why and repeated the reason but wasn't able to do anything.

Call them tomorrow morning and start with I want to cancel. They will ask why and you say you found a better rate. DO NOT tell them online or give your online source. Honda shut down most of the online sales a couple of years back. The best thing to do is return the warranty and then get it online that way you don't have to deal with the stealer's haggling yet again.

And, if you save $800, $50 should be chump change. Think of it as you only saved $750 you know. :D :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Part of me feels so scumbag like to take that approach. How would I feel if they came back to me on my trade-in saying "we quoted you too high a price and want to cancel".

I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, everything else with the process was perfect so I'm willing to cut them a little slack. I think the price was too high but I feel like they should have a chance to re-quote it without me saying "Cancel it, you ripped me off."

I'm fine if they make a small profit on this. They didn't make much (if any) on the car. I just want to make sure that I get a "fair" price which doesn't necessarily mean cost.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Part of me feels so scumbag like to take that approach. How would I feel if they came back to me on my trade-in saying "we quoted you too high a price and want to cancel".

I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, everything else with the process was perfect so I'm willing to cut them a little slack. I think the price was too high but I feel like they should have a chance to re-quote it without me saying "Cancel it, you ripped me off."

I'm fine if they make a small profit on this. They didn't make much (if any) on the car. I just want to make sure that I get a "fair" price which doesn't necessarily mean cost.
I had a very similar experience when buying our '11 EX-L w/ nav. I asked the dealer to match my on-line quote that was probably $500 less than the dealer wanted. So at the end of the day, the overall car buying experience was excellent and they got very close to my on-line price so I bought Honda Care from them. I also just rolled it into the loan so there was nothing out of pocket.

I think you should offer them the opportunity to get closer to the on-line price but there is no reason to hand over $800 for no reason.

·
Super Moderator
13,838 Posts
Do you think they even flinched when they over charged you? Drop the guilt trip feeling man. Its not like you're stealing from the stealer. Its like you trying to get back what was rightfully yours as the stealer overcharged you. You can try to give 'em a chance to keep your business but I doubt they're just going to fork over $800. My stealer backed out and said he can't afford that price and refunded me the money back to AHFC.

As to them coming back. You did NOT tell them what you wanted for the trade. They told you the trade price. Right? If they made a mistake, tough.

I once drove in a car. They quoted me a price. Car was of my cousin who had come 2 1/2 hours to my place to make a deal on the pathfinder. The deal was settled and he was to bring his dad over 2 days later. When they both showed up, the stealership said we were in a wreck as they had not seen a hole in the bumper that was there all along. They backed out of the deal. My uncle had to drive 5 hours both ways. Do you think that dealer felt any guilt on their own mistake? I doubt it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i agree....NO dealer is your friend...period. I had a very pleasant buying experience with our odyssey, doesnt mean I trust everything they told me. bought many cars over the years and there are always new tricks to get you. handshakes are no good, their "word" is no good...only signed contracts are the law of the land.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm not saying I believed everything the dealer (actually was the finance manager) was saying. He told me it was a good price, I didn't believe it because he said it. I was in a situation where I was moving forward with the car, didn't know what the HondaCare would cost and thought it would be much more expensive if I bought it after the fact. He showed me a price and I decided to accept the deal.

I got home and found out there was a larger mark up than I expected and I didn't need to buy it on the spot. There is a window. That being said I knew that I *might* have had other options and *could* have gotten a better price if I was more prepared. Sitting in his office I had to make a decision and now I'm trying to decide how I want to handle it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i believe you can cancel hondacare within 30 days. but if you buy another hondacare warranty, they will charge you $100 on top of whatever the new price is. This is info I got from Saccucci Honda:

*Re-purchase Surcharge: The above prices are for vehicles that have never had a Honda Care plan purchased for them. If you have previously had a Honda Care contract on the vehicle and cancelled it please add $100 to the price. Please mention the previous cancellation when ordering your new plan or the contract will not be valid.

I also just recently purchased the 8yr/120k/0 deduct plan for our odyssey through saccucci for $1295.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ks-man,

Were you able to cancel the Honda Care you bought? I want to cancel mine that I rolled into finance. Requesting the information as to how to go about it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts