Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After lurking for a couple of months and after taking delivery of a 2002 EX-L(RP) last week, I feel it is time to participate. I'm tremendously impressed with the tone, enthusiasm, humour and knowledge at this site.
Thanks to PD55 for the advice about the 6 disc changer at Dalt's. I phoned my son in Toronto from our home in Nova Scotia and had him pick one up the morning after the posting.
Because a family friend (David Smyth) is Sales Manager at Whitby Honda near Toronto, we bought there,2000 km from home. Flying one way from Nova Scotia and driving home through the White Mountains in Vermont, we
still found ourselves $1300. under MSRP after expenses.
The Odyssey was superb, even with the constraints of break in. Besides having the pleasure of seeing the deciduous leaves change colour, known locally as "leaf peeping", we were able to drive at varying, slower speeds without 18 wheelers up our tailpipe.
It's too early for anything but first impressions, but, coming from a 95 Camry V6, we found the Odyssey at least as quiet, with a similar burst of power when passing on a 2 lane highway. The seats in the Honda were more comfortable for 12 hour drives, aided by the more upright driving position. Also, the Honda nosedives less undeer heavy braking.
We handed the Camry over to our daughter at 200,000 km having done nothing more than routine maintenance. Time will tell how the Honda fares in that respect.
Like many on this site, I couldn't wait to start modding, and had the CD changer installed an hour after we got the Honda to my son's place. We sure enjoyed it on the trip home.
Our first day home brought second and third mods, rear splash guards and a rosewood dash trim kit from The Joshua Tree.
Since this seems to be a site which promotes personal candour, I must admit that in my 42 years of driving I have always admired real wood trim in cars, especially the kind seen in old British cars. For me, plastic wood doesn't do it. As well, since I put myself through University selling furniture, I really can tell the difference.
This somewhat long-winded prologue is intended to emphasize how much I enjoy the look of the wood in the car.
More honesty--my wife actually did the application. She is much more smooth handed than I. My job was cleaning and prepping.
I will create a web page to show the kit and the van on the weekend. We have no photos developed yet.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Welcome!
Can you tell more about the dash Kit -
Is it real wood?
How many pieces is the kit you bought?
Where did you buy and What was the price?
Any issues with shipping to the Great White North?

I would like to add just the dash kit (6 pieces) to my van.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Go to www.woodtrim.com
The kit is real brazilian rosewood with a glossy topcoat. We bought the full 25 piece kit for $300US plus $15 shipping. No problems whatsoever. No cross border issues either.
In researching on line, I read that there are three or four different quality levels available, and this one appears to be near the top. The pieces fit very well, and adhere immediately and strongly if you prep with isopropyl alcohol and the pad they provide(saturated with lacquer thinner, methinks). I'll try to get pictures online ASAP. Cheers, Bill

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One other point. When I ordered online, tax was charged. Wondering why, on an international order, I emailed them, and the tax was removed, Bill

·
Registered
40 Posts
Went to the Woodtrim site out of curiosity (I have no intention of getting wood trim) and noticed that dash trim kits are on sale for 20% off through tomorrow, Oct 5th. Also, free shipping on internet orders. The 20% off knocks $40-$60 off of the various kits.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi BILLW. Welcome to the club. Hows life in Mahone Bay. I spent years out in Nova Scotia with the Coast Guard and miss the places and people out there.
You could be the first 2002 Ody owner to drive around the Cabot Trail...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi: I don't know about the Cabot Trail, but we are probably the first 2002 Odyssey to drive into the Kejimkujik Adjunct (Coastal Provincial Park). Having retired here from Ontario, I can't say enough about the people and the spirit of mutual help, much like that on this website. Cheers, Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts