Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've racked up nearly 1500 miles on our nearly two month old 02 Ody. Lovin' this van, I gotta tell you. But a couple of "issues" have cropped up (of course) and I was wondering if anyone has had similar experiences.

About two days ago, I made a right hand turn out of a parking lot and heard a horrendous grinding noise coming from the left front wheel. I pulled over and checked it out but didn't notice anything unusual. However, the brake rotor was really hot to the touch and this did seem strange since I had just driven all of 50 yards and the van had been parked for over 4 hours. Anybody have experience with anything like this? Could the antilock braking system been involved? Have not noticed any problem since.

Okay, I know others have commented about the annoying whistling sound coming from the driver side instrument panel. I usually just turn up the radio, but the sounds seems to be getting louder (40mph+). I did a search on this site and some suggested checking the trim around the windshield. Any other ideas?

Thanks for any info., and Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Kerry J.

------------------
2002 TW EX-L (10-9-01)
1994 Ford Explorer XLT

·
Registered
212 Posts
Did the noise go away, or did it continue? What did you do to stop it? I had a squealing sound from my 02 with about 700 miles on it. It was only momentary, but re-occurred. The second time I stopped and checked all of the belts on the engine as I had an accessory lock-up on another car and it did major damage to all of the other accessories on the same belt. Anyway I found no problems, so shut off the AC and continued. It occurred a third time. The third time I could tell that a brake was pulling the car to one side. The rotor was hot but I don't know if that was because I had stopped from 65 mph. Anyway I backed up while pumping the brakes and the squeal never re-occurred. I think some type of debris, maybe from manufacturing, must have gotten wedged between the rotor and brake pad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RonD:
Did the noise go away, or did it continue? What did you do to stop it? I had a squealing sound from my 02 with about 700 miles on it. It was only momentary, but re-occurred. The second time I stopped and checked all of the belts on the engine as I had an accessory lock-up on another car and it did major damage to all of the other accessories on the same belt. Anyway I found no problems, so shut off the AC and continued. It occurred a third time. The third time I could tell that a brake was pulling the car to one side. The rotor was hot but I don't know if that was because I had stopped from 65 mph. Anyway I backed up while pumping the brakes and the squeal never re-occurred. I think some type of debris, maybe from manufacturing, must have gotten wedged between the rotor and brake pad.</font>
Interesting. Well, the grinding sound that I first heard did not duplicate itself a 2nd or 3rd time. In fact, it only occurred when I was making the initial turn out of the parking lot. After that, I did not hear anything unusual.

I'm still not for sure what caused the sound, but I am certain it was coming from the driver side front wheel. It had rained earlier that day and perhaps something did get washed onto the rotor surface. Did you have yours checked out by the dealer? Plan to call mine today and will report back if I find out anything.

Kerry J.

p.s. Had about 1500 miles on ours.

------------------
2002 TW EX-L (10-9-01)
1994 Ford Explorer XLT

·
Registered
10 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jonesies:
Interesting. Well, the grinding sound that I first heard did not duplicate itself a 2nd or 3rd time. </font>
We had a couple of different strange and frightening sounds early in the break-in period. I think we had a grinding noise like the one you describe; it really sent chills down my spine.

None of the sounds has recurred. Poltergeists
?

Regards,

Maugham/Brillig

1 - 4 of 4 Posts