Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I've searched this forum and others for this problem but haven't found an exact match for the problem I'm having with our 2005 Odyssey EX.

When turning left, and only left, there is a grinding noise from the right front. I put the van up on ramps thinking that there might be an issue with the splash guards (my wife has had issues in parking lots with the splash guards. 'Nuff said.) or fender wells but couldn't see any place where tire had been rubbing. Applying the brakes while the grinding is going on has no effect.

I'm thinking wheel bearing. It doesn't sound like any CV problem I've had in the past but I guess that is a possibility too.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't really want to take it to the dealer for fear of them wanting to replace the entire front end or some other nightmare scenario.

Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
252 Posts
I thought I was having a similar issue, but after trying to replicate the sounds overe and over I figured out not only was it turning but I was breaking at the same time, n my car I am guessing its pads and or rotors..You might drive the car a while and see exactly what all is going on when it makes the noise

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response. I'm not braking at all when the noise happens. The pads were inspected recently and I was told they were fine so that's why I was leaning towards a bad wheel bearing. I guess I'll have to take it in.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Loose lug nuts will make cause a grinding noise similar to a wheel bearing or CV joint (grunt, grunt grunt grunt) Speeding the tempo as the car speeds up and it will only happen when turning in the opposite direction of the wheel. If it is the right wheel, then you would hear the sound when turning left. They should be between 96 ft/lb - 102 ft/lb

·
Registered
100 Posts
To check the bearing, simply jack up the corner and grab the tire at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock position. See if you can 'rock' the wheel and tire. If there is ANY PLAY, the bearing is likely going out. You can also try pushing and pulling the entire wheel/tire assembly in/out from the 12&6 positions. Any movement - get the bearing changed out.

Performing the first test but holding at 3/9 o'clock positions will test your tie-rods and steering play. Not bearings, but worth checking as well. :)

From the sound you are describing, I'm betting on the RF bearing being bad.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had a similar issue (grinding sound from driver's side front when making a right turn), and it turned out to be the brake pads were almost gone on the driver's side. The noise also occurred when I wasn't using the brakes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts