Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

well I searched and didn't really find anything that matched exactly what i'm expeirencing right now.

when braking usually the last little bit before coming to a complete stop there is a metal to metal grinding noise.

wife took the van to the "stealership" (was thinking maybe the brakes were eating into the rotors) they checked brakes all were good 60% on one and 75% on the other. so they said brakes are fine.

not sure what to consider now, but this grinding noise doesn't sound like its a good thing.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
887 Posts
I just started to experience this. I am taking it to my back yard mechanic to look at the brakes. He did my rear brakes he thinks about 10k miles ago, and remembers them being about 60-70% in the front, but he said he would take another look. He thought a caliper that is pulling, which would eat up the brakes. I have noticed a slight pull to the left.

Did the grind go away? Mine did it for a day and then went away...

What did the dealership think the grind was? Or did they not know?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it hasn't gone away, been hearing it now for about a week. not sure what else the dealer said the wife hasn't picked the van back up yet.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Mechanic said that the brakes were good. His best guess was that maybe a rock got stuck, then got out. Let me know what the dealer finds...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Had this problem last week. Happens when the van has heavier load and/or when hot outside.

I have a 06 EX, with the new reformulated brake pads done. Brought the car to the dealer, 50% left on the pads. Paid $42 for them to do a brake "service" which they took off the brake calipers, cleaned and relubed the pins/calipers and they sanded off the brake pads with an Emory pad. Apparently the Van's brake pads release lots of dust and the pads glaze over.

So far so good after the service, but its only been a week, I'm curious how long the fix will last for.

I stood next to the mechanic when he did it, I could have done the whole thing myself, but for $42.00, not worth me getting dirty.

·
Registered
887 Posts
When my van did it, it was hot as hell outside.

I also stood next to the mechanic. He did clean some parts. And I got to see how easy brake work is.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Matt-

I see you have a 05 Touring- Did your van get the Reformulated Brake pads?

TSB 06-024 Front Brakes Groan at Low Speeds
Applies To: 2005 Odyssey – ALL
2006 Odyssey – From VIN 5FNRL38..6B000001 thru 5FNRL38..6B106388
2006 Odyssey – From VIN 5FNRL38..6B400001 thru 5FNRL38..6B443036
http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A06-024.PDF

·
Registered
887 Posts
I purchased my van used at 39k miles, it now has 67k miles. I have never replaced the front pads, so unless the previous owner replaced with the reformulated pads, it has not been done. So when I go to replace them in 10-12k miles, as I'm at about 50%, I will put on the reformulated ones.

·
Registered
372 Posts
See TSB #06-024

The solution is to install reformulated brake pads, and rotate the disks to make them smooth again.

My dealer rotated the disks a couple if times, but did not see this TSB until later, so I never got new pads.

Once I found this TSB, I had already installed aftermarket wheels, and when I went back I could not reproduce the issue any more. There was obviously more ventilation with my new wheels and the problem went away.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, finally had a chance to talk with the wife regarding the service and have the service write up here in front of me. they said that they took the van for a test drive and could not reproduce the issue. there is a charge of $47.70 for the brake inspection and brake cleaner. they told her to drive the van and if it comes back next week to call and if they work on it again they would waive the fee from this time.

also had the third PCM update done and the VSA recall.

so for now i'm still at a loss, and yes ours was not a groan either, it is the sound you usually hear when pads are eating into the rotors. but apparently that is not what is happening.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Years ago, I had a groan/grind with the old brake formula pads. But even with the new pads, around 20K later I had a grind when really really hot. If it comes back, have them take off the brake pads, and sand down the coating of glaze off the pads. That should get rid of the sound. If its still there, there may be glaze on the rotor which could be lightly sanded as well.

So far so good on my brakes after the brake service, but my service they included the brake pad sanding to remove the glaze.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I finally got to drive the van after the service. Wow brakes are 10x better than before, you can actually feel the brake pedal holding and not going to the damn floor anymore.

the grind was still there yesterday after about an hour of driving so i'm thinking the glaze thing is whats going on.

the PCM update, does seem to help with what very little bit of shutter was still there after the TC replacment a few months ago.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We have the same issue with the grinding brakes on our EX-L. The dealership said they were unable to reproduce, brakes are within specs. No signs of issues. Joy. The problem with our is that it's very intermittent. I can't reproduce myself, just comes and goes. It's been very hot here and my wife said it seems to be more apparent. We'll keep an eye out.

For the non-touring owners, has anyone found a solution?

·
Registered
178 Posts
curiousgeorge2 said:
See TSB #06-024

The solution is to install reformulated brake pads, and rotate the disks to make them smooth again.

My dealer rotated the disks a couple if times, but did not see this TSB until later, so I never got new pads.

Once I found this TSB, I had already installed aftermarket wheels, and when I went back I could not reproduce the issue any more. There was obviously more ventilation with my new wheels and the problem went away.
Curiousgeroge2, I have the same issue. When the brakes are hot, I get the moaning noise. I read the TSB but it says for 05 and 06. Was there a TSB for 07 and newer?

Thanks

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have a 06 with reformulated brake pads (same as the 07 pads and higher).

Bring it to the dealer for a brake service, have them clean the caliper pins and emery pad the brake pads. With all the brake dust these pads gives out, the powder crystallizes and glazes out the pads/rotor. The glaze gives a grind/moan when the van is under heavier loads or when its very hot out. My buddy had the same problem and this also fixed it, *temp. But it will come back over time.

Hope this helps, the brake service was around $42.00. You should really try to force Honda to do it for free for you though. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts