Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So, I installed the GTA Ipod car kit in our '06 EX-L with XM/RES/Navi about 2 weeks ago, thought I'd give it a quick review.

Install was super easy, I actually had it up and running in just a few minutes after I started!

On our car, I wanted to have enough cable to connect both an Ipod and other headphone output style players, so I took almost half an hour finding a nice place for the wiring to come through. Decided on drilling a hole on the driver's side console where the lower cover (the one next to the gas pedal) meets the upper console.

The GTA kit doesn't give much cable for the Ipod, and the rather thin stereo 1/8" plug isn't any longer either, so finding a place to bring them out of the dash is limited if you're trying to keep the wires neat and out of sight.

Overall, it plays well through the DVD/AUX input of the deck, but as others have noted, the audio is somewhat low, even when driving the input with the headphone output and volume at max on the Ipod. I've also found that the stock Honda unit cuts bass and treble when you hit 30 for the volume, basically turning the system into what sounds like AM stereo (anyone remember AM stereo???), but this is something that happens in all modes, not just the Ipod input. It is more noticeable with the GTA kit since the audio input is lower than the other stereo's modes.

Overall, the volume is enough for most of our music and we rarely listen to anything over 30 anyway, so its not a major issue for my family.

One thing I've noticed with this kit is the presence of engine noise in the other modes like FM, XM and CD, however it never had it before the installation and it has no noise when playing either the Ipod or through the stereo input cable. Time for me to go back in and pinpoint where its coming from, I'm assuming the GTA kit's box is picking up the noise, or the wiring that plugs into the stock system, I'll report back with what clears the noise up when I do.

The GTA car kit did not work with my older 20gb Ipod, but my 80gb 5.5 gen ipod plays nicely with this kit, including changing folders and tracks from the deck and the steering wheel. A quick note here, if you're using Rockbox, it is not controllable from the deck or steering wheel, but audio does pass through the ipod connector just fine, which is slightly better than my other car's aftermarket Clarion deck that just gives an error!

Chris

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Chris,

thanks for the review.

Couple notes:
we made couple changes to our product in June 2011 and one of them was to increase the default volume by 20%.

I am not sure about the noise from engine in non-ipod modes. It is first time I hear this complaint. Did you try to unplug the kit and see if the problem goes away? Another thing that worth trying is to change the placement of the module and see if it solves the problem. If you still have this problem, send email to our support and we will try to help.

The wire length from stock plug to the module is around 4 feet and the lenght of ipod cable is around 4 feet. Usually it gives you plenty of options for running the ipod cable. As I own Honda Odyssey myself, I put the module behind the central pocket on the main console and run the wire through the drilled hole. It gives me about 3 feet of ipod cable from the center of the console.

Thanks,
Max

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Max,

The volume increase sounds like a great change! Now for the big question, can those of us who have low volumes have our units "flashed" via usb cable, or would we have to send it in, or are we required to upgrade the unit?

As for the engine noise, I'm pretty sure its because the box is much further away from the head unit now and probably picking up noise from the wiring, but it is so quiet that it really isn't noticeable so I haven't bothered to rip the dash apart and install the box/cables in a different place. I'll do this if I have to remove the unit for upgrading it though!

Chris

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Chris,

our kit does not support USB updates. If you want to upgrade your kit to the newer version that has higher default volume, please contact our support via email. There is additional fee involved but it is much lower than the price of new unit.

Thanks,
Max

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello Max, I did the installation today on my 05 Odyssey EX. I noticed I had a white connector plugged already on the back of my stereo, in your video does not show anything plugged. I unplugged it and replaced with the one that came in your package. The ipod sounds great; the radio, cd player, clock all are working fine. Not sure if the white connector was there for a reason. Any suggestions?

Please look at the picture:
DSCN2612 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pre-wired harness is for XM upgrade.

flyinhawaiian: Thanks for the review, I plan to get the GTA for my in-laws Acura TSX.

egonzal24: The white harness that you found is the pre-wiring installed by Honda factory in case you add XM radio. The other end of that harness is above the fuse panel (left side kick panel by the parking brake pedal). If you pull the fuse panel cover off, and look above the fuses, there should be an unconnected harness taped above the fuses. Look for the blue tape. As I recall, it is a male connector. That's the other end of the harness you unplugged from the radio.

I installed the GROM audio kit instead of the GTA in my 05 EX-L. By connecting the AUX / IPOD kit there, you dont have to open up the dash. Way easy!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I installed the GROM audio kit instead of the GTA in my 05 EX-L. By connecting the AUX / IPOD kit there, you dont have to open up the dash. Way easy!
So you are saying you can connect the device down by the fuse panel instead of behind the stereo? How has the GROM been working out. I was thinking of going with the GROM and getting the bluetooth dongle. Thank for your input.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So you are saying you can connect the device down by the fuse panel instead of behind the stereo? How has the GROM been working out. I was thinking of going with the GROM and getting the bluetooth dongle. Thank for your input.
Yes, I connected the GROM cable down by the fuse panel. No need to open up the dash. The GROM HON1A I purchased came with a HON1M Y-splitter cable included, which mated directly to the factory harness in the fuse panel. I took some pics when I installed the box. If I can find them I will post them here.

The GROM box has been working great. The only negative is you need to crank up the stereo volume. Using the CD player or radio, we normally have the volume below 10. With the AUX input and GROM box, we have to turn the stereo volume up to 15+ with our cell phone volume on max. This is a common problem with AUX inputs. My Toyota 4Runner has a built in AUX input jack on the factory stereo, and I have to crank up the volume there too.

Also, if you are charging your cell phone / mp3 player while playing, you'll get engine noise feedback through the AUX input (again, not a GROM specific problem). If you go with the Bluetooth dongle (which I have no experience), you should be able to eliminate the engine noise.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Totally lazy person here. Finally got the GTA kit installed; the video was super helpful. Only things I'd add:

- hardest part is fishing the microphone jack between the frame arm and everything else. My 06 did not have that grommet strip that I could move aside, so I had to find somewhere else to fish the wire. Not a big deal, but since I entered the footwell further down than the video (the mic wire tracks the door grommet far longer), it removes the need to pull the left air vent.

- maybe it's the redesign, but my GTA unit did not fit in the right side nook as in the video. It does, however, nestle fine right on top of the dashbox.

- you'll want some kind of magnetic extension for the 8mm or you'll never get that center screw for the radio back in there. Not in the cards for me.

- couldn't find my panel pullers but a flat-bladed screwdriver worked OK.

My GTA install took about 75 minutes, and I am not particularly handy. I do like not having charging and aux cables every which way.

That hum when you charge your phone and use the AUX input simultaneously is called a "ground loop". It is easily fixed; search for "ground loop eliminator" at your favorite electronics retailer (I found mine at the Zon) and it should run about $10. It will also attenuate your signal a little bit, but that hum will go away.

Hope this helps. Don't drive distracted!

best, Richard

1 - 9 of 9 Posts