Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy!

Bottom Line Up Front (BLUF): Is there guidance that tells Honda Techs to select both PGM-FI and A/T when doing PCM software updates?

I've been troubleshooting an A/C issue for a bit and am getting ready to take the 07 in to a dealer for a PCM software update. As I called around to check prices, one told me I still need TSB 09-053, which updates the A/T for a judder, and it would be free.

Lately, I've looked through tons of TSBs and Honda guidance and I thought I saw something the tells Honda Techs when they're using the HDS to update PCM software, to select both the PGM-FI and the A/T when doing updates. If that's the case, the judder update might also resolve the A/C TSB.

Does anyone know if that guidance exists and where? Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, here's what I stumbled across... Honda Accord: ECM/PCM Update - PGM-FI System - Fuel and Emissions - Honda Accord MK8 2008-2012 Service Manual

It says "If the software In the ECM/PCM Is the latest disconnect the HDS/HIM/GNA600 from the DLC, and go back to the procedure that you were doing. If the software in the ECM/PCM Is not the latest, follow the Instructions on the screen. If prompted to choose the PGM-FI system or the A/T system, make sure you update both."

It's entirely possible this only applies to the 08-12 Accord. I'll dig through the Ody service manual for a similar statement.

·
Registered
545 Posts
If the dealer says to upgrade A?T for free, go for it. As you know, each module have its own firmware and having the latest is good in each modules. They are independent in working (but communicates with each other) and so having new firmware is good.

Also doing at dealer is risk free. How much they are charging for it?

I never upgraded on Honda, but did it on BMW with DIS software. Used a battery charger (not a jump battery like Honda suggested). It takes sometime to push that much data via 2 lines. Each module was updated separately for different "fixes" in firmware.

The A/C issue you had, the other thread, after replacing the condensor, it is working fine?

Do you have a foxwell scanner? Or a scanner that can scan individual modules?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A/T update is showing as a campaign, so free. It was supposedly done in Dec 2009 but isn’t showing in their system.

Up until yesterday I didn’t know if there were different modules (programs) or if it was like one big operating system.

They’re saying the A/C update might not apply to my van, even though the TSB 07-051 printout includes my VIN. If they just push the AC update, they quoted $116. Of course it may not fix the problem.

I didn’t replace a condenser. There are other Aggies on here. We may look alike due to our maroon shirts, short hair and fanatical devotion to the 12th Man traditions.

No, I just have a cheap Aurelio scanner than gives one software version.

·
Registered
545 Posts
There are so many modules. PCM (main one), A/T, SRS, Body electrical, ABS and so on.

Foxwell scanner can show you different modules and you can do lots of stuff with it. It can't program the module. For this, i think you need the HDS.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before they'd update the A/C, they had me talk to the service manager (not in a bad way). They wanted to make sure I really understood that if I just tell them to "do the update" without diagnosing the problem, that it may not work and that I'm okay with that.

... I have a cheap Autel scanner... dang autocorrect So it turns out my "cheap Autel scanner CAN read multiple modules. It's an Autel M309. They're $23 on Amazon. When I scanned the PCM last night, it only offered one software version and no option of modules. After they updated the A/T and the PGM-FI (A/C TSB) today, I could see the modules and choose which. I verified the software versions before leaving the lot.

I'm waiting for the engine to cool down before I go out to see if it worked or not. If so, yeah! If not, then I know it wasn't the software.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It worked! It worked! I was nervous going out to check it. If it failed, I would need to return to banging my head against the wall.

Both fans went to high speed right as the high side pressure hit 221 psi. Center vent temp dropped to 43 degrees (prior to this was around 65+). Pressures came way down, back into the believable range. Success.

Reactions: thscott
1 - 8 of 8 Posts