Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've read some on here that people recommend you drain the tranny fluid a few times with a synthetic as soon as you pick one up.

Has anyone written a picture guide on how to do this? Can a car newbie do this task? Also, what is the best type of transmission oil to get for a 2004 Honda Odyssey EX-L?

·
Registered
6,076 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have an '02 Ody EX with about 105k miles. Getting ready to do the AT fluid d/f 3x and replace the AT filter as well. My local dealer swears there is no such filter to replace. But I bought one from handa.com. Question. do i replace the filter first and then d-f 3x or d-f then replace the filter? I was going to d-f twice, replace the filter, then add the ATF fluid (Z1) for the last time. A friend told me if I d-f with the old filter on I will just contaminate the new fluid with the old filter. advice? thanks.

·
Registered
9,229 Posts
The new ATF will be partially "contaminated" with the old fluid anyway, so I don't think it makes much difference if you replace the filter before or after. However, replacing the filter with the first drain will slightly reduce the amount of old fluid in the transmission and so reduce the amount of contamination.

BTW, Z1 has now been replaced by the superior synthetic DW-1.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I recently changed my filter and did the 3 times flush on my 03 Odyssey with 140K miles on it. I used Mobil One Synthetic trans fluid and this has worked wonders for my van. The whining that I was getting in first gear is slowly disappearing. The shifts are very nice, and I am satisfied. The Mobil One was expensive, I used 10.5 quarts overall for the 3 times flush. The inside of my filter was very black and looked awful. Also my drain plug had lots of black filings on it. I will drive it the summer and change again in the fall, but just a once flush and I will then see how things are looking.
By the way my tranny fluid was always flushed by the dealer at 30,000 mile intervals. My first tranny went away at 42,000 miles under warranty, because it would not stop leaking. It was a defect from the factory.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts