Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes there are myriad threads on gutter guards - (it seems the general idea is you get a gutter guard from a home depot, cut it to size and affix it to the bumper.)

Anyone have any information on the "official" kit that the class-action lawsuit has? My dealer wants $125 to install that of which I'd only get reimbursed $35 for the kit and $20 for labor. (Is the kit something that is trivial for my to install by myself?)

Or is the $35 kit no better than a $6 gutter guard?

·
Registered
513 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
I would guess it's all subject to a certain point based on the images that have been posted to date. However, the retro fit guard 1) does not appear to cover all the lower condensor opening on the bumber 2)will not accomidate the OEM extrenal trans cooler needed for the tow package and 3) has larger aperatures than the GutterGuard material.

My wife drove our bus this weekend and when it returned to the stable had what appeared to be a lot of grass/hay debris on my gutterguard. We live in a rural area so she could have gotten behind someone hauling hay but the point is it was very easily removed as I mounted my gutterguard to the inside of the lower bumper completely across the lower bumper opening. Where as if I had the retro fitted guard it would have been more of a challenge to clean off and probably would of let more pieces of grass/hay make their way into the condensor grid.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Do a search for Mr. Grille, this was the product that I used to cover the opening in the bumper. At the time there was a group buy for it, it was extruded aluminum cut to size to fit the opening in the Ody. Installation was with zip ties. I still have this and have to say, there are many nicks and dents in the grill so it is working. The openings are smaller than what you will find in a gutter guard so I was kind of worried about heating but it has been on for 4 years now and no problems.

·
Registered
513 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought a roll of black plastic gutter guard material from Lowes for less than $4, removed the bumper and used black zip ties to attach it to the vertical memebers on the bumper opening. Left the material about an inch larger than the opening - it cuts easily with scissors. Took all of half hour. returned from a 1500 mile trip recently and have about 2000 miles with no signs of loosening, shifting, or any other damage. Pretty simple to do and looks like it will hold up for a long time. Looks pretty good too.

·
Registered
333 Posts
See the link in my post above.

Nicolas
Thank you, I'm used to seeing the part number on the top of the first page, didn't think to scroll all the way through. It's ridiculous what Honda is charging to fix a defective design. What's more is that the class action suit only accounts for about 15% of the retail cost of the kit. What about this if someone wants to purchase something pre-cut...
eBay

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use cheapo gutter guard material that cost like 4$ from home depot. Its black and replace every other year. Got a roc k thru condenser at 25K miles and was pissed when Honda didnt cover it. Replaced condensor myself for under$200. Sent bill in for class action...

My fix is better than anything else on the market. Bought van new and at 105k miles

1 - 9 of 9 Posts