Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah. !!!!

I finally got my H&R Springs for the Ody today (of course haven't installed them yet)

So you guys should start seeing them trickle into fill your back orders.

H&R almost refused to ship mine.... even though I had them on order since BEFORE I got my van in December....

Man, they are BEEFY springs !!

Next problem is designing an adjustable rear camber fix..... as there "may" be excessive rear camber.

I won't get time to put the springs in for a bit yet...as my wife is due with first child anyday, but I'll try to install them in the next few weeks.

don

http://www.pdm-racing.com

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'm curious to find out how it rides with the springs on stock (I assume) shocks/struts. Do you know how much stiffer they are than stock springs? How much do they lower? Although the camber will be slightly more negative, it very well could be within tolerable limits as long as the tires are rotated frequently and a four wheel alignment is performed after the spring install. My Accord has about 1 3/4 lower springs and the rear has 1.5 or so degrees negative camber with NO tire wear problems at all. The front camber is also well within acceptable limits.
Should look real nice... Are you planning on tire/wheel upgrade too?

------------------
On the waiting list for my '02 EX Nav in RED!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes waiting for 18" Ace Spyders in anthracite to come in stock.....

H&R did not give any quotes on stiffness...but if it's a lowered spring, it HAS to be somewhat stiffer.

However I find H&R fairly conservative with their lowering springs...not too low, and not too stiff...so I'm hoping they will work for a short time with my "newish" OEM shocks. (less than 10,000 km on them)

True, I would like adjustable shocks with better dampening, but until I find time to spec the stock ones out.... they will have to do. (I'm SURE there must be a cross over shock that can be modified/replaced from SOME vehicle that GAB or KYB or even Monroe or Gabriel has that's gas, and adjustble.)

As for alignment....depending on how much it lowers the van.... camber COULD be a problem. I've loaded up the rear of my van a few times, and the rear negative camber (the van has built in camber gain under suspension compression) is fairly evident.... I'm not so sure you can compare an Accord to the Ody, as I'm pretty sure they have 2 different designs of rear ends.

Plus, being a much heavier vehicle, 1.5 degrees of negative camber on the heavier vehicle will wear out the tires MUCH faster than on a lighter car.

don
http://www.pdm-racing.com

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm definitely interested in a camber kit for the ODY because I will be using either a Bridegestone S-03 or Michelin Super Pilot in 18s and the tread wear ratings on these tires are not as good as the regular ones.

·
Registered
478 Posts
nemogira- what is your impression of the ride/handling compromise with the 18s? I have 18s on my Accord (with modified suspension) and love them, but not sure about putting them on the "family" van! Yours look great by the way...

------------------
On the waiting list for my '02 EX Nav in RED!

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ody:
nemogira- what is your impression of the ride/handling compromise with the 18s? I have 18s on my Accord (with modified suspension) and love them, but not sure about putting them on the "family" van! Yours look great by the way...

</font>
I really feel it was a good compromise. Here are the reasons why:

- The van handles better. (More responsive)
- Also better at braking.
- The ride feels almost the same as stock.
- No difference in road noise.
- Very fun to drive. Even more than before!
- Enhances the look of the van. Not to mention it also distinguishes you from the rest of the Odys out there.

The only negative comment I can give is because the grip of the tires is so much better the steering wheel needs a little more attention than it did w/ stock tires. Luckily I have my trusty Acura Type-S steering wheel to keep me in control!

I definitely recommend upgrading to 18s!

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

[This message has been edited by nemogira (edited 08-17-2001).]

·
Registered
478 Posts
Thanks Nestor! Would you change tire size or brand/model next time or is what you have on now perfect? Yeah, the springs should make a big difference especially with the 18s-lower center of gravity and higher spring rate
Looks a lot better too with low profile tires to drop it some.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Could your need for more steering attention be caused by the fact that you have changed the wheel offset? Front drivers are very sensitive to changes in front wheel offset. The axis of the strut rotation is supposed to be right at the center of the tire contact patch. If it is not, you can encounter "wheel fight" or some sort of strange steering geometry in turns which is not always pleasant. Anyone who is installing aftermarket wheels should be aware of this possible problem.

One problem I have noticed with the Odyssey is that the steering is a little slow. My Dodge Caravan had quicker more accurate steering and when I installed wider rubber and hi-performance shocks all around, I was really able to take advantage of the new capabilities. On the Odyssey, I would wonder if the pleasure would really be there or if I would mostly be stylin'. Too bad, because the Odyssey chassis is pretty capable, if only the steering were better. Just my experience.........

Jerry O.
2001 GG LX

·
1,484 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ody:
Thanks Nestor! Would you change tire size or brand/model next time or is what you have on now perfect? Yeah, the springs should make a big difference especially with the 18s-lower center of gravity and higher spring rate
Looks a lot better too with low profile tires to drop it some.
</font>
I'm very please with my michelin tires. Although I wouldn't mind trying the competitive brands like Yokomama or Bridgestone. I've heard some pretty good things about them. But overall I really like my tires.

And Jerry O, the steering wheel just becomes a little more sensitive on rougher roads because I think the tires are gripping the little bumps in the road. But it's not really that bad. And on smoother roads it's smooth as silk!

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
596 Posts
One caveat for those contemplating a change to much wider rubber and the corresponding wheels is that any change in wheel offset will give Honda cause to refuse warranty claims on anything to do with suspension, wheel bearings or steering systems. An altered offset changes the loads on these components and could (and probably will) cause premature wear in them. One should stick with the stock offset and go to the widest tire and wheel that will clear the chassis. Just thinkin'....

Jerry O.
2001 GG LX

1 - 17 of 17 Posts