Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
H&R Springs for Odyssey and AirLift done!!

Well, I got my H&R Springs for my Ody yesterday.
They are for '05-07, while my Ody is an '09. Thanks to the info from the forums, we know that the '07 front struts will make it work. '08-10 springs are not available yet.

I figured I'll put up some notes from what I see here.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Ody: 2009 EX-L Navi/RES

-Ordered '07 EX front struts and all hardware for it
(I dont want to disassemble the original strut).
-Also ordered '09 Touring /Pax rear shocks
This combo should have a better damping than my stock '09 EXL shocks.

-H&R Springs for '05-07

-I'll also be installing AirLift rear airbags too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I plan to install this weekend, but have noticed a few things:
-H&R quality is very good, and always has been, but their spring's labels were upside-down and left/right were wrong when assembled (fronts). I've lowered hundreds of cars (literally) and most have the printed info right-side up when installed properly. The H&R
springs can only be installed on the proper strut as they are wound opposite from left and right. I'm going to contact them and let them know... if they even care. There's no way to mount the left/right springs the wrong way on the wrong side. They only fit one way, and it's obvious. They should relabel the left/right springs... Anyway, that's just a small detail. Otherwise, they fit well. The rear's are fine.

Can't wait to install them. By having the strut pre-assembled, I'm hoping the install will go smooth and fast.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Springs are IN!! Overall spring install was quite simple. Rears were even easier, but since I was installing AirLift airbags at the same time, it took a bit longer.

I also had the 19" BBS wheels on before the drop, but wanted to get the rims re-balanced.. which is why the stock wheels went back on. Turned out 3 of the wheels were off balance, and I had a slight vibration. Anyway, I got the tires balanced this morning and will install the rims back on soon.

Few notes:
-When working on the front strut top nuts, keep a magnetic extension handy, or you can slip a piece of tape into your socket to hold the nut in place (like when changing spark plugs)

-When removing the strut, cover the CV boot w/ a rag or towel to protect it... just in case.

-If the axle pulls out of the CV joint, slip it back in asap. No worries.

-If you are not changing rear shocks, the spring can be removed and installed with 1 bolt! So easy!

-For the AirLift kit, it came w/ a small sheetmetal heat shield for the passenger side bag. The shield goes on the exhuast pipe.
Well, I had some DEI header wrap, so I used it on a portion around the rear springs. Hopefully this will keep some heat away from the airbag.

Before:

before:front

before:rear

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Front strut top nut access. It's good to have a magnetic tool when doing this.

all bolts down low removed (sway bar, brake line, steering knuckle)

Fronts in, and now time for the rear:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 Bolt to remove rear springs. So EASY! (I also replaced rear shocks so I had a little more to do)

H&R spring (top) vs. stock rear spring

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
AirLift for rear suspension also going in:

Heat protection from passenger side exhaust pipe:

Rear H&R springs, new oem shock, and AirLift bag installed:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortuneately, I dont have pics of the rims on the lowered van yet... I had them respun (for vibration reasons) and turned out some of the tires were slightly out of round. Contacted Tire Rack and they are shipping out new tires and will pay for mount/balance. I told them, I had the tires rebalanced, but instead they insist the tires are defective and to put on new tires. WOW. talk about customer service! Tires should arrive tomorrow. Just have to get them remounted.

As for ride, brake dive is almost non-existent, ride quality is still smooth, but slightly sportier. Not harsh at all. Cornering seems fine, and now my 2.5 yr old can get in all by himself!

Oh yea, did I mention my wife insisted I lower the van? Bless her soul!. She loves the new ride...

(Final pic w/ BBS wheels probably near end of this week)

Anyway, final pic with H&R lowered springs... and stock tires.

·
Registered
45 Posts
lets see some pics of the van completely dropped all around on the BBS's

Looking at yours has got me wanting to lower mine more and more. Perhaps after winter when i can put aside some parts money.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
onebadassdx said:
lets see some pics of the van completely dropped all around on the BBS's
Trust me... I'm dying to see them too! Once I get the tire ordeal sorted out... I'll put them up~

And yes... do it!

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've had my H&R's in my '07 for over 2 years now and couldn't be happier. Would deffinently do again in a heartbeat. :nice:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jackleg1 said:
I've had my H&R's in my '07 for over 2 years now and couldn't be happier. Would deffinently do again in a heartbeat. :nice:
Nice! I saw many of your posts before I did mine... thanks for the info you shared! What wheels, offset, and tires are you running right now?

My BBS wheels are 8.5" wide and +35 offset. They are perfectly flush in the rear, but I'm curious to know if it'll rub the fenders. I have a proper fender rolling tool, so I'm not too worried, but it would be nice if it cleared ok.

How's your's? Any rubbing with aftermarket wheels?

·
Registered
453 Posts
joe422 said:
Nice! I saw many of your posts before I did mine... thanks for the info you shared! What wheels, offset, and tires are you running right now?

My BBS wheels are 8.5" wide and +35 offset. They are perfectly flush in the rear, but I'm curious to know if it'll rub the fenders. I have a proper fender rolling tool, so I'm not too worried, but it would be nice if it cleared ok.

How's your's? Any rubbing with aftermarket wheels?
Wheels are Privat Netz 20x8.5 38 offset. With a 245 40 20 tire I have no issues with rubbing, even with 8 people in the van and no airlifts. You should be fine with your offset. I need to do an alignment after 2+ years. 1st set of tires were Yoko S drives, most recent are General UHT??? So far so good, but I do like the Yokos better. I'm sure an alignment would have made the Yokos last longer than 30k...:stupid:
I really wanted to do a 20" BBS LM or RS GT wheel set up on my Ody, but ended up with the "wanabees" instead to stay under 2k for the wheels, tires, and springs. I'm happy so far, but would love to do another set of BBS, Work, Volk, etc in the future.

·
Registered
453 Posts
joe422 said:
excellent!

Jackleg...
I'd love to see some recent pics of your Ody~
Here is the "latest"... about a year old after I removed the roof rack..

...enough about my junk... can't wait to see the pics of yours with the BBS on.:cool:

Reactions: Prozac84

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Damn.. that looks very clean! My wife wanted black but we sorta didn't have a choice on our color.

Also like the no-roof rack look. Very sleek! I'd like to remove mine too, but we're probably going to need it... so that's that.

·
Registered
221 Posts
nice!!!

any pics of the air bag install?

i was supposed to do mine a while back but life put that on hold... so, did you cut the bump stop?

joel

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Joel,

Here's some more pics for the airbag install.
Overall it was quite easy.

-Lift rear of Ody, and remove both wheels.
-Remove the lower/outer bolt (17mm) on the rear suspension arm
This allows the arm to be pulled down and spring is easily removed
-Remove bump stops, don't cut (I used a 14mm socket on an extension to get it to reach.
-Measure or use the cutout page to find drilling location
-Drill small hole (pilot hole)
-Start drilling bigger. I used a Unibit and worked well (while spraying w/ lube)...Instructions say to drill to 3/4" hole. I went a tad larger.
-De-burr the hole
-Install heatshield on muffler pipe closest to the airbag
(I also heatwrapped the section of pipe as well)
-Insert airbag and springs together, and reassemble.
-Run the hose to where ever you want.

I chose to "T" the left and right at equal lengths of hose in the middle of the rear subframe. Then it goes out to the filler hose that I routed to the rear on the driver's side. There is a small hole in the rear bumper at the very back that faces down, and was perfect for the fill valve. Once the black valve cap is on, nobody but you will know it's there.

Hope this helps.

***in retrospect, I'll review the instructions again regarding cutting the bump stops. I don't remember seeing any mention of it, but the airbag is a bit short so if the wheel get lifted off the ground, I had to let it down slowly to make sure the airbag and the valve was centered in the drilled hole. But then again, the bad was not inflated either, so maybe once its filled, this is not an issue. I'll check again when re-installing the rims.

Stock, and ready to remove spring:

Bump stop marks on the lower suspension arm kinda shows the center of the bounce (airbag valve will be drill within the off center marks left by the bumpstop)

Stock bump stop. I just removed it (14mm) but I'll check to see if It should be trimmed and re-installed

Muffler pipe heat wrapped, and shielded:

Hole is drilled. 3/4" hole recommended (when lowering the car back on the ground, I had to guide the airbags a little so the valve is centered in the drilled hole. Hope I dont have to do this every time the wheels is lifted off the ground

All installed:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No problem~ Hope it helps.

Oh yea, one last tip, I cleaned and sprayed the drilled hole w/ rustoleum black paint, so it wont rust over time.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts