Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1. I like that it's not so tall but the width is a bit of a challenge, especially in some parking lots.
2. Just had the roof rails installed and I notice more wind noise. I can see daylight if I look straight into them. Is it supposed to be that way?
3. The ride is good. More floaty than the old but very sensitive to correction. I sometimes feel like I drift more left and right in my lane, though.
4. I keep the second row in wide mode for wide access to the 3rd row, and keeps the kids away from each other.
5. I'm still mourning the loss of the 3rd row vents.
6. The USB thing has me puzzled. I was using my mp3 player (Sansa Clip) easily but then I reorganized my files on it into albums for personal ease and now I can't get the van to play all the songs. Anyone know why this would happen? Also, I like that you can turn on the mp3 player when you get in the car, but you can't turn it off with the dash controls.
7. I can't figure out what to do with the 8th seat. I liked storing it in the floor and pulling it out when we needed it. Right now I'm just hauling it around in the trunk but it's taking up space. If I keep it in the garage, what will I do if I need it when we're out? (It's happened more than once)
8. Anyone know what I can use to help protect my windshield glass from rocks? I replaced 3 of them on our 2006, and already in the last month, I've had 2 instances of big rocks hitting the windshield. Would one of those deflectors that mount on the hood do anything to help?

If you have any (good) answers, thanks in advance! :D

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
My opinion on the hood deflector is that it protects the leading edge of the hood, but not the windshield. Even with the hood deflector, my windshield has taken plenty of rock hits, plus one crow. Luckily it has never broken. Nicks and scratches on the hood deflector would be much more serious on the painted surface of the hood. For that reason, I think the hood deflector is a good investment.

·
Registered
196 Posts

8. Anyone know what I can use to help protect my windshield glass from rocks? I replaced 3 of them on our 2006, and already in the last month, I've had 2 instances of big rocks hitting the windshield. Would one of those deflectors that mount on the hood do anything to help?
I'm not familiar with previous generations, but the 2011 does have 3rd row heating/cooling vents. What vents were removed?

Hood deflectors don't help with rocks hitting the windshield. Some insurance companies offer $0 deductible windshield
replacement. Ask yours and figure out if it's worth it.

On Edit: I think I realized what vents you were talking about. The window vents, huh? I wish those were available, too.

·
Registered
80 Posts
2. Just had the roof rails installed and I notice more wind noise. I can see daylight if I look straight into them. Is it supposed to be that way?
I've got the roof rails installed too. I don't hear any additional difference from not having them originally.

Btw, parking the Ody is soo much easier than parking in my H2. So, I don't see it being much of an issue for parking.

·
Registered
427 Posts
1. I like that it's not so tall but the width is a bit of a challenge, especially in some parking lots.
3. The ride is good. More floaty than the old but very sensitive to correction. I sometimes feel like I drift more left and right in my lane, though.
4. I keep the second row in wide mode for wide access to the 3rd row, and keeps the kids away from each other.
6. The USB thing has me puzzled. I was using my mp3 player (Sansa Clip) easily but then I reorganized my files on it into albums for personal ease and now I can't get the van to play all the songs. Anyone know why this would happen? Also, I like that you can turn on the mp3 player when you get in the car, but you can't turn it off with the dash controls.
7. I can't figure out what to do with the 8th seat. I liked storing it in the floor and pulling it out when we needed it. Right now I'm just hauling it around in the trunk but it's taking up space. If I keep it in the garage, what will I do if I need it when we're out? (It's happened more than once)

If you have any (good) answers, thanks in advance! :D
1. I don't really notice the extra width diff.
2. I'm glad they did away with the roof rails, much easier to clean the roof when it snows, and I never used the roof rails anyway.
3. I feel the ride is similar, definitely not floaty, the steering.. too much power assist vs previous generation and less road feel, numerous reviews have pointed this out.
7. I keep the 8th seat in all the time, it's actually a usuable 8th seat vs the tiny 8th seat of the 05 to 10 generation..
8. Those hood deflectors lower your gas mileage by increasing your drag at highway speeds, It's a chance you take when you drive with rocks..

·
Registered
170 Posts
1. I don't really notice the extra width diff.
2. I'm glad they did away with the roof rails, much easier to clean the roof when it snows, and I never used the roof rails anyway.
3. I feel the ride is similar, definitely not floaty, the steering.. too much power assist vs previous generation and less road feel, numerous reviews have pointed this out.
7. I keep the 8th seat in all the time, it's actually a usuable 8th seat vs the tiny 8th seat of the 05 to 10 generation..
8. Those hood deflectors lower your gas mileage by increasing your drag at highway speeds, It's a chance you take when you drive with rocks..

re: #8, most likely by less than 1%... even more likely, by less than .5% (or even at full fuel economy, around .28mpg.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've got a 2010 Odyssey Touring. Bought the full nose mask and its installed all the time. I clean it out weekly and wash underneath and then vaccum the mask itself. It keeps the underside clean and protected. I drive on HWY 83 between Brownsville and Loredo. (Bought May '10 current mileage 25,500 miles - I do drive a lot - its FUN). There are a lot of rocks in my driving zone. My Odyssey's fog lamp are gone (1 cracked and 1 has a big hole in it), windshield already has stone chips, 3 chip repairs and 1 crack just started out and is about 18" long already before I could stop it (drilled a hole in its path and that stopped further progress) ........ so the nose mask doesn't help in that it can't stop the stones reaching the windscreen ... although the area under it is clean.

My wife drives a Sonata, on the same route, and has a bug deflector installed. No help. Have already changed the windscreen twice.

Had an '02 Camry ...... changed windscreen, front headlamp and 1 fog lamp.

No STOPPING the stones :(

I plan to move out of the are in about a year and half and will change the lights and windscreen on the Odyssey and Sonata then.

I've seen a clear 3M film for the windscreen but am not so sure if I want to install it on the cars. I just don't it disturbing my night time vision.

Good LUCK !
MSK

·
Registered
9 Posts
Actually, I'm glad that the vents were removed. On my 2004, both of the vent motors have failed. I replaced one of them, and vowed to never do it again.
I'm sure that the new 2011 (mine comes in later this month!) has windows that open on the sliding doors, so that back can have a little ventilation.

I'm not familiar with previous generations, but the 2011 does have 3rd row heating/cooling vents. What vents were removed?

Hood deflectors don't help with rocks hitting the windshield. Some insurance companies offer $0 deductible windshield
replacement. Ask yours and figure out if it's worth it.

On Edit: I think I realized what vents you were talking about. The window vents, huh? I wish those were available, too.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually, I'm glad that the vents were removed. On my 2004, both of the vent motors have failed. I replaced one of them, and vowed to never do it again.
I'm sure that the new 2011 (mine comes in later this month!) has windows that open on the sliding doors, so that back can have a little ventilation.
My vent motors didn't fail, so I loved mine. I could open those and it would pull cool fresh air through the cabin without turning anything on and saved on fuel. You can't open only one or two of the second row windows because the suction hurts our ears. Personally, unless you're going less than 45 and everyone has the windows open, they don't do anything for us. I can't drive that slowly.:D

·
Registered
427 Posts
re: #8, most likely by less than 1%... even more likely, by less than .5% (or even at full fuel economy, around .28mpg.
Anything you add to your vehicle that increases the frontal surface area will increase drag on your vehicle and so reduce fuel economy. Not sure on the Oddy per se, but many on the Pilot forum said their Highway MPG dropped by 1 to 2 mpg, which is far more significant than 1%

·
Registered
23 Posts
How did you get your Sansa clip to work with the USB? I have tried our Sansa and it says "Unsupported". Would love to use it instead of buying an ipod?

·
Registered
687 Posts
How did you get your Sansa clip to work with the USB? I have tried our Sansa and it says "Unsupported". Would love to use it instead of buying an ipod?
I don't think the Sensa is supported through the USB. Only Apple iPods and USB flash memory devices.

UNSUPPORTED - Appears when an unsupported device is connected. Disconnect the
device.

See page 286/383 and 294/392 on the manual, respectively.

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/K81111/K81111OM.pdf

Otherwise, you'll have to play your Sensa through the AUX audio input.

:rollingeyes:

·
Registered
730 Posts
My vent motors didn't fail, so I loved mine. I could open those and it would pull cool fresh air through the cabin without turning anything on and saved on fuel. You can't open only one or two of the second row windows because the suction hurts our ears. Personally, unless you're going less than 45 and everyone has the windows open, they don't do anything for us. I can't drive that slowly.:D
Agreed and agreed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My first post.

In regards to the USB for music, just go buy a USB flash drive and plug it in and forget it. They are super cheap, you can get an 8 GB for under $15 and leave it in the van.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We have 3 Sansa clips. Mine works because it's a 4gig mem model and it formated at FAT32, which it needs to be. My kids' are 2g and 1g models and are not FAT32 and read "unsupported". I'm thinking about dumping all their music on a dedicated USB drive that is formatted correctly so they aren't exposed to my "crazy-momma-explicit-lyric-sappy-love-song" music. :eek:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 4GB Sansa also but it must not be FAT32. I went ahead and tried a USB drive and I'm very happy. I sync'd it through Windows Media Player and it worked great. It loaded quickly into the system and was organized by album. Previous threads I had seen said it was listed in the order you put the songs to the drive so I was happy to see lots of options for searching the drive. So, I will just invest a little in a larger USB drive and not worry about connecting the Sansa anymore. Thanks for all the input!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts