Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the recall notice for my 2006 Odyssey EX-L a month ago and took it in yesterday. However, it was unlike any recall experience I have ever had. When I got there, the service advisor if I was having problems with hard steering assist at low speeds, and I said I wasn't sure, it had always steered that way. So she said: "well, are you telling us you have a steering problem at low speeds or not? I must have still looked confused, so she got the service manager who got in it and cranked the wheel and said: "Yup, it needs the fix". I was alittle confused why they just didn't do the recall like normal. It seemed like they were wanting me to tell them it was fine and the recall was unncessary?? :huh::huh:

Anyway, they did the fix and I can't believe how different it steers, much easier than is used to. I guess I just got used to it. I talked to a buddy of mine who just left another Honda dealer, and he told me that Honda advised the dealers NOT to push the recall fix, only offer it if the customer demands it??? In other words, if you think there's not a problem, the dealer will ignore the recall. Sounds like Honda doesn't want to fix all the power steering pumps in the 2005-2007 model years........:no: BTW, the dealer told me the fix would have been $650 if there was no recall..........:eek:mg:

·
Registered
513 Posts
The confusion comes from this not being a recall but a warranty extension.

A recall means that all affected vehicles will have the problem and this problem is a security concern (i.e. it caused or can cause accidents...). Because of this it is done on all cars.

The steering weight problem does not seem to happen to everyone and it is not a security concern so you can only get the problem fixed if you have it. That is why they asked you those questions...

Nicolas

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
The confusion comes from this not being a recall but a warranty extension.
Correct...

Also, dealers can give you a hard time but this is not related to Honda being evasive per-se, it is more related to what the dealer own business priorities are. I bet having their techs busy performing warranty work all day is not on the top of their li$$t

·
Registered
174 Posts
Some manufacturer's dealers labor costs may be structured differently, but direct experience at a particular Nissan dealer revealed reduced pay for the techs on warranty v customer pay.

·
Registered
513 Posts
From experience in another industry warranty repair is paid for at a lowish base rate that the dealers can't negociate, the hours they can bill are tightly controlled and I would bet that they can't charge the manufacturer for oil, rags, etc. that they charge customers.

The dealers pay this price to get to sell the cars and service them.

Nicolas

·
Registered
424 Posts
The power steering pump on my 06 is shot. It leaks and makes a lot of noise. I got a pretty hefty quote from my dealer to replace the pump, reservoir, etc. The dealer neglected to mention anything about a power steering pump recall. Will this recall cover my 06 with 41k miles ??

·
Registered
513 Posts
The dealer neglected to mention anything about a power steering pump recall. Will this recall cover my 06 with 41k miles ??
It is not a recall but a warranty extension* and it *may* not cover your car. I would suggest calling Honda to check if your car's VIN is covered.

Nicolas

* Why bother pointing this out? :) A recall is done to everty car, a warranty extension only applies those cars that have the problem.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The power steering pump on my 06 is shot. It leaks and makes a lot of noise. I got a pretty hefty quote from my dealer to replace the pump, reservoir, etc. The dealer neglected to mention anything about a power steering pump recall. Will this recall cover my 06 with 41k miles ??
Our 05 EX-L is 7+ years old from delivery date so technically it's not covered by the warranty extension but when I took it to the shop and told them we had [occasional] heavy steering problem the dealer replaced the pump without question, zero cost to me.
They recommended PS fluid flush and reservoir replacement (both of which weren't covered) which I refused as I already bought both and planned on doing it myself.

·
Registered
137 Posts
i got me Power steering recall done only because i was complaining about a rough noise under AC load(???). now with heater load still makes the noise. so i guess they did the recall work and patch whatever was needed to get over with it. i was at 600km left of warranty at the time(september)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Is it true that honda power steering pumps have flawed design?
pump on my 2006 accord was shot last year and now my 2009 odyssey's power steering pump is failing too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just recently bought an 05 EX-L and had the rear brake recall fixed. I also had them go over whole car and see if anything needed to be replaced. The power steering pump came up because it was leaking. They would have replaced it but the warranty extension only covered up to 100K. I have 105K on it (bought it that way). I was able to get a new pump for autozone for $120 after the core charge and change it myself. It was pretty simple repair, the hardest part was flushing the old fluid out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had taken my vehicle ('09 EXL) for replacing the dirty brake fluid. Since I had seen the TSB, I had indicated that during cold mornings, I felt the steering wheel stiff. The service manager looked up my VIN and said, there is a bulletin and hence would go ahead and replace the PS pump. Got it done :) and the service manager indicated that I am still covered for the reminder of the warranty (i.e. 60K or 5 years from the time was sold first)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just had my 06 EX-L power steering pump replaced. Van has 81K miles on it. When I took it in to the dealer, they asked me did I have a steering problem. After reading your posts, I was very adiment that it was hard to turn at idle, epecially with all the gadgets on like the A/C unit. They replaced the pump with no questions asked.

On a side note, I asked for a quote on the replacing the serpentine belt, since they were already "in there" anyway. She said, since that was outside of the warranty, that it would be $190 for parts and labor. I explained that there was very little labor since you have to take the belt off anyway. She said, it would be a totally different ticket and that the cmoputer would require the full labor charges. I just laughed and said, nevermind. I can do that myself, anyway.

As mentioined before, just make sure you do tell them it needs fixed and you are not just there because of the letter you got from Honda. And after the repair, I can tell a slightly better turning ability. But since we haven't had a good cold day in Houston lately, I won't know for sure just how well it helped out for a day or two.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 05 Odyssey (125K miles) and there is a loud whine from the engine when it is cold. Is this covered by a recall? Any recommendations for follow-up with the local dealer or Honda corporate?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got the notice and it says "even if you had the steering repaired in the past - you may be eligible for refund" So call Honda Motors and see if they would refund the repair cost.

·
Registered
30 Posts
@bulldogfan

I had my 06 touring in for the PS fix last week and I ask the same question and i got basically the same response. Furthermore, I had the dealer do an oil change and fix the actuators on my sliding doors (extended warranty) and they wrote up each repair on a separate ticket because they were paid for by a different bucket of money.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have an 06 EXL with 36,500 miles, bought in Sept 2006. Where can I find the warranty extension bulletin? Seems like there's a link to it on DVPatel's TSB posting, but link is broken.

Went in for broken rear motor mount - dealer wanted $145 just to make the diagnosis. Called Honda America and they said it was 4 months out of warranty, so I had to pay for diagnosis and then they 'May' offer a goodwill adjustment because of low mileage. I complained about it a year prior when I went in for Master Cylinder recall, but they said the rear mount was fine. The service advisor was adamant that if there's no leaks, the mount was good - even after I showed him the TSB specifically showing how to use a feeler guage to make that determination. Sorry for the rant...just so tired of all this run-around.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Had the recall done on my since traded 2005. Then had the pump replaced. Then had the reservoir replaced. Three separate trips. I noticed no improvement in steering and the whistle that was driving me nuts was still coming from the new assembly when I traded.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts