Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my '06 Odyssey EX with 92k miles, I took it out for a spin yesterday after sitting for around a week. I noticed that the driver's side AC was blowing warm, passenger side was blowing nice and cold. I've heard this can be related to the blend door, so I tried lowering driver's side air temperature to the lowest and then adjusting it where I wanted, which caused it to then start blowing cold again. However, after doing that I shut off the car for a bit. I came back, and everything was working fine. I haven't experienced this problem again after driving the car 2 times after this incident.

I'm not entirely convinced that it's low enough on refrigerant to cause this, as I had the system recharged last September.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
12,713 Posts
Two possibilities. First, low refrigerant will cause this. Your van is 14 years old and if it's never been serviced is definitely low on refrigerant. Even if it's not the problem now, it will be and a routine service where they recover what is in there and recharge it by weight will prevent future compressor failure. A system low on refrigerant also prevents proper oil circulation which can/will damage the compressor.

The second possibility is as you already eluded to. The blend door on that side can stick. This is just a minor inconvenience and even if you never do anything with it will never cause any further problems. The cost of the blend door motor itself is likely more than you'll pay for an AC service which the van needs even if it does have a blend door problem.

So, bottom line...have the system serviced and then possibly replace that blend door motor.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Two possibilities. First, low refrigerant will cause this. Your van is 14 years old and if it's never been serviced is definitely low on refrigerant. Even if it's not the problem now, it will be and a routine service where they recover what is in there and recharge it by weight will prevent future compressor failure. A system low on refrigerant also prevents proper oil circulation which can/will damage the compressor.

The second possibility is as you already eluded to. The blend door on that side can stick. This is just a minor inconvenience and even if you never do anything with it will never cause any further problems. The cost of the blend door motor itself is likely more than you'll pay for an AC service which the van needs even if it does have a blend door problem.

So, bottom line...have the system serviced and then possibly replace that blend door motor.
As I mentioned, I had the system recharged during 90k maintenance a little under 8 months ago.

I will see if I can reproduce this problem again, and if I can I'll look into the blend door further.

·
Registered
12,713 Posts
As I mentioned, I had the system recharged during 90k maintenance a little under 8 months ago.

I will see if I can reproduce this problem again, and if I can I'll look into the blend door further.
Sorry, I missed that at the end of your post. If it was recently professionaly serviced then the blend door is likely your culprit since moving it solved the problem. I've replaced mine due to noise it was making at the 69-70 degree mark where it sits most of the time. You're smart for having it serviced. People rarely service them yet it's the best thing you can do to get long life from a compressor.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A little update for this thread:
Recently had the A/C looked at again by the same shop since i was having the entire car inspected for going on a trip (ended up needing a CV axle, replaced.), and the A/C at that point was blowing cool, but I wouldn't call it cold. I haven't been able to reproduce the blend door issue since that one incident, but it hasn't been blowing as cold as it should.

They said that while the refrigerant was low, they couldn't find any visible traces of leaks (we had them put dye in back in September since the refrigerant was low then too, but it has been a while since then, and they didn't find any other traces like residue or anything) , but they did charge it up, and the A/C is cold now.

I'm thinking there's a leak somewhere, likely somewhere in the interior, which they didn't check as they'd have to rip the interior apart to do so, because the refrigerant shouldn't be that low after 9 months or so.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Definitely Driver's side blend door activator. I've changed mine twice. Always the driver's side. Attached is the info for my 2010. Double check if yours is the same part number...
Honda Odyssey Driver's Side AC actuator.jpg

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PS It WILL keep happening, until one day it will stay HOT.
As I've said, the blend door issue has not happened outside of that one incident, and I've been able to adjust the temperature without issues.

The fact that my refrigerant was low essentially confirms that the issue I was having was a low refrigerant issue.

However, if I have more incidents of hot driver's side air I will definitely look into it

·
Registered
12,713 Posts
This guy is just sure everyone's problem is a blend door.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Never certain of anything, John. Only suggestions. You seem very knowledgeable. I have some questions I’ll be posting soon (once I’ve exhausted all the preliminary tests). I’m looking forward to your assistance. .

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Never certain of anything, John. Only suggestions. You seem very knowledgeable. I have some questions I’ll be posting soon (once I’ve exhausted all the preliminary tests). I’m looking forward to your assistance. .
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you did say that is "definitely" the blend door. Sounds pretty certain to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an 07 EXL and have just started having a similar problem except it's the passenger side that blows warm air while I'm in the cooling mode. It doesn't do it every day but has happened a couple of times. I was assuming it had something to do with the blend door or whatever controls the temp adjustment. Also, the amount of air flow seems much less coming out of the passenger side center console duct. Is the consensus that it's likely to be the blend door or are there other suggestions?

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have an 07 EXL and have just started having a similar problem except it's the passenger side that blows warm air while I'm in the cooling mode. It doesn't do it every day but has happened a couple of times. I was assuming it had something to do with the blend door or whatever controls the temp adjustment. Also, the amount of air flow seems much less coming out of the passenger side center console duct. Is the consensus that it's likely to be the blend door or are there other suggestions?
Does the warm air feel like if you cranked the temperature to high or does it feel like it's just sending in the air from the outside? If it's the latter, it's likely low refrigerant, if it's the former, it's likely a blend door on the passenger side

·
Registered
36 Posts
On the freon leak, I just ran into an issue on two different vehicles where the freon leaks out the schrader valves but not enough to leak any dye. If they can't find any dye inside the cab or under the hood, I would check the valves. If they're leaking, you may hear a puff when unscrewing the plastic cap. The valves themselves are a couple dollars and are easy to replace but the labor is pretty expensive if a shop does it.

·
Registered
779 Posts
On the freon leak, I just ran into an issue on two different vehicles where the freon leaks out the schrader valves but not enough to leak any dye. If they can't find any dye inside the cab or under the hood, I would check the valves. If they're leaking, you may hear a puff when unscrewing the plastic cap. The valves themselves are a couple dollars and are easy to replace but the labor is pretty expensive if a shop does it.
But doesn't you have to evacuate the whole system in order to remove the valve?...

·
Registered
36 Posts
But doesn't you have to evacuate the whole system in order to remove the valve?...
Yeah, that's the downside and why it costs so much for a mechanic to do. You have to evacuate the freon then replace the valves, pull a vacuum on the system, then recharge.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Gotcha, so is better to change it during the evac.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
A new chapter to the saga

Was on my way home today when a rock managed to kick up and damage the condenser (where you might ask? in the dreaded bottom right corner), causing all the refrigerant to vent out. Driving in Texas heat for 6 hours with no AC was not fun!

Anyway, I'm now wondering if maybe the condenser is what caused the original small refrigerant leak, and now the rock just completely increased the leak.

Side question: Is there a specific brand of condenser I should look for?

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fixed at last!

This is (hopefully) the final update for this thread

Following a condenser replacement and replacing both the high and low side valves, the AC is finally blowing ice cold, and there doesn't appear to be any signs of a leak.

·
Registered
12,713 Posts
One thing I'll add here is that the leak at the bottom right corner of these condensers is not usually due to rocks, unless you see physical damage there. It's due to the bottom 4-5" of the condenser being what's called a subcooler and is the hottest portion of the condenser. That's why they commonly fail in that bottom right corner. Many were putting gutter guard in the bumper to stop the rocks but that is not the most common cause for that condition.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts