Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! My Ody(Touring) just got hail damage on roof top, hood, and mostly top-half of driver side :(,and it look pretty bad. This is the first time I ever got hail on my car after 25 yrs of driving.
I wonder, any one in club ever got hail damage before.
Did you have to repaint to whole car,and how is it look after the shop fixed it .
Thanks advance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
i feel your pain. ironically we had a vicious storm in new york city of all places 2 weeks ago. started off as quarter size hail, then quickly to ping pong balls, then to baseballs. lots of cars with blown out windows. fortunatley i only had a few pock marks on the roof of the car. nothing major and barely noticeable so i left it be. does insurance cover that (Act of god) or no?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure how insurance works in the US but my friend and his girlfriend got new cars at the same time. A hail storm punished the roofs on both cars a week after they got them. Insurance covered both cars. The shop just knocked all the dings out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replied guys.
I check with my insurance, my comprehensive out of pocket would be 1k, anything more than that the insurance will kick in.
Seem like not many members experience with hail damage. I just to worry that the car won't be like new again after fix.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My friends' cars looked as new after the repair but I'm sure that's largely down to the person doing the work. Best of luck, certainly not a fun experience.

·
Registered
117 Posts
No standard answer for hail damage as it varies depending on how severe the dents are. Many times all that is required is paintless dent repair. The used Yukon I just purchased had several dings in the doors and hail damage on the roof. It was all done without any repainting required.

Good luck with your repairs,

JD

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just to worry that the car won't be like new again after fix.
Anything that happens to a car that is out of the ordinary will never be like new again, that's the sad reality. From little things like dings at the parking lot to an unimaginable getting caught by a flash flood, a car instantly loses its fresh driving/owning experience. It all goes down to the owner what his/her personal tolerance of still keeping the car despite what happened or take a serious accounting of what they have, cut further losses, sell the car and just get a new one.

I sympathize with your present concern about your Odyssey.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Depending on the amount of damage, the body shop may take several actions:

a. if it look's like a golf ball design and paint less dent is not an option; they will cut and remove the top of the car and weld on a new external top, paint and be on your way, a new skin is what they call it.

b. if not as bad as a cut and replace, they may scrape, ruff, and bondo the top and then sand and paint

c. and then there's the paint less dent repair.

My BIL has done framework and bodywork for 30 years, I have seen his work and if the body tech is as good as my BIL then your ok.

It just depends onthe amount of damage...

hope you find a good body tech..

·
Registered
400 Posts
We just had hail last night. VAn was parked outside and t'was really bad hail with a mix of high winds. I said to myself, better prepare myself tomorrow. :(

Anyway, checked out this morning and there's no single dimple on the van... just debris from the trees.. Which made me think if the OP had the hail incident while driving? or while its parked..

I can tell you guys the hail was really bad..

·
Super Moderator
13,838 Posts
We just had hail last night. VAn was parked outside and t'was really bad hail with a mix of high winds. I said to myself, better prepare myself tomorrow. :(

Anyway, checked out this morning and there's no single dimple on the van... just debris from the trees.. Which made me think if the OP had the hail incident while driving? or while its parked..

I can tell you guys the hail was really bad..
Getting hail while driving or not, it hardly matters. It would if you're doing 70 and hit a hail storm but 99.99% of the time, if its hailing outside, folks would be doing like 5 mph any way.

We got a bad hail storm in April and Accord was parked in my driveway. Hail size was golf ball size. Accord got beat up. No glass broke, but I got like 8 - 10 dings. Since the Accord's so old, I decided to just live with the small dings. Only one is big.

Past week, I drove through 5 minutes of strong hail in the Maxima. The hail was dime sized hail. I was doing 20+ mph at times and checked out the Maxima, not a single dent.

So, what I am trying to say is, it depends on several factors to get dings in a hail storm on your car. I think the intensity at which the hail falls might also have something to do with it in addition to the size of the hail pebbles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for all good inputs.
The insurance guy came out with estimates $2,175, minus 1k comprehensive kick in, so he leave me the check of $1,175.
Took my car out for 2 PDR body shop estimates( $4,450 and $4,900), the insurance will pay the difference. Wonder why the insurance is so low ball on the estimate.
Set appointment next week to bring the car in to fix, and they guarantee to get the car back to new again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts