Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is another expecting ody owner, it will be delivered next week. As we live in an area with periodic snow, I chose to make a deal with the local tireshop. They gave me some credit for the original Michelin tires and I get 4 Hakkapeliitta Q's. I chose 215/65R 16 which will go on the original EX wheels. After lots of research, mostly on the net I,m quite comfortable bying these tires, made by Nokian of Finland. I am expecting both long life and surefooted travel. Have anyone tried these and what are your experiences?

Now the next challenge since I do not have summer/all season tires is choosing what/which?
Planning 17x7.5 with possibly Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 235/55WR 17 or Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus 235/55HR 17.

Oh what to do?? This is mom,s family roadster.

Bjorn

·
Registered
17 Posts
HAKKAPELIITTA Q´S ARE GREAT TIRES! I HAVE THEM ON BOTH OF MY ODYSSEY´S (2000, 2001).
THEY ARE TERRIFIC FOR SNOW AND ICE. DON´T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON ANYTHING ELSE. I´VE SEEN THESE FOR AS LITTLE AS $127.50 (USD) ON THE WEB (etires.com).

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Big Bear:
Here is another expecting ody owner, it will be delivered next week. As we live in an area with periodic snow, I chose to make a deal with the local tireshop. They gave me some credit for the original Michelin tires and I get 4 Hakkapeliitta Q's. I chose 215/65R 16 which will go on the original EX wheels. After lots of research, mostly on the net I,m quite comfortable bying these tires, made by Nokian of Finland. I am expecting both long life and surefooted travel. Have anyone tried these and what are your experiences?

Now the next challenge since I do not have summer/all season tires is choosing what/which?
Planning 17x7.5 with possibly Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 235/55WR 17 or Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus 235/55HR 17.

Oh what to do?? This is mom,s family roadster.

Bjorn
</font>

·
Registered
108 Posts
I got the Hakkapeliita Q on our 01' EX and NRW H on our A4 Quattro. My Sister have them on her Seinna. We would only get Hakkapeliita on our cars (for winter). We would only consider getting another brand if Hakkapeliita do not make it in the needed tire size.

We got our Hakkapeliita at Steelecase Tires in Markham, ON for about $125 CND installed & balanced (last winter). Why are they so expensive in the US?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'd have to venture and say it's because they got the money!!!.

But seriously, It pays to shop around and in some areas Nokian tires are very hard to come by and when there is only one dealer in the whole area they can pretty much ask what ever they want for them.

Its almost like the Odyssey in the US in the past years with limited supply.

Best regards from a Nokian user since 1981

RobertC

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Saltygarfy:
I got the Hakkapeliita Q on our 01' EX and NRW H on our A4 Quattro. My Sister have them on her Seinna. We would only get Hakkapeliita on our cars (for winter). We would only consider getting another brand if Hakkapeliita do not make it in the needed tire size.

We got our Hakkapeliita at Steelecase Tires in Markham, ON for about $125 CND installed & balanced (last winter). Why are they so expensive in the US?
</font>

·
Registered
331 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RobertC:
I'd have to venture and say it's because they got the money!!!.

But seriously, It pays to shop around and in some areas Nokian tires are very hard to come by and when there is only one dealer in the whole area they can pretty much ask what ever they want for them.
</font>
Here in the Boston area Nokians seem to be available at Saab and Volvo dealers or at the high end tire emporiums. After being told that they could provide Michelin Arctic Alpins and steel rims for $1200 if I was going to be cheap about it, I didn't wait to hear how much for Nokians. BTW, I got the Michelins at tirerack for less than $600 mounted on rims and deliverd.

------------------
00 EX - Taffeta White
MacNeil Deflector, Weathertech Mats, Mud Guards, Panavise Phone Holder,
Cheerios and Goldfish on floor and under car seats.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your replies!

Here are my very first inmpressions. Picked up the new EX-L yesterday at 5PM, to late to head to the tire shop. Drove home about 100 km/ 60miles, Michelins felt about right, drove back today and installed the Hakka Qs. We are very pleased with the initial feel and no more roadnoice than the originals, I think it even steers a bit crisper. Thank you for your earlier replies and I will keep you posted while I ponder what to do about two months from now.
Bjorn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts