Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else experience this yet?
Van sat all day at work, Went to leave work, van cranked for about 10 seconds before firing!! This is the 2nd time this has happened. Ody is only a week old!!
Thanks
John

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I had that happen once during the first week of ownership; it has not recurred.

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've only had this problem on a couple of occations. In my case it happened the day after I'd filled the fuel tank the evening before.

In the past, I've had the habit of topping the tank fully. I've been warned about this with the Ody but I've still pushed it a couple of times. In this case, I went a bit too far and after sitting over night, it was a bit flooded. There is a vapor recovery system that associated with the emmissions system. If you over fill the tank too much beyond where the system normally wants to shut itself off, the vapor recovery will load up and flood the engine the next day. The engine did start in each of these cases, it just took a bit more cranking than usual. If I'm a bit more careful on the fill up, I don't have this problem.

If either of you had topped the tank prior to parking the car for a period of time, this might be your problem.

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, transmission cooler, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tank was half full (or empty depending on your point of view lol)
I think I found the problem.......
TPS switch was loose on the plenum, I adjusted it & tightened it up.
All seems OK
Thanks
John

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had the starting problem twice on mine within the first 1000 miles. I do not reacll wether I had just filled it up or not. Have not had the problem since. Now 2600 miles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This happened to me in my one month old - 1005 miles brand new ody too.

Very ticked off - I actually dduplicated the problem again. Open the passenger side sliding door, then driver's passenger slide door, leave the dome light in the middle position and try to start the van. It will not crank over - I had to give it gas to crank over - very POOR Design for a Honda

Dealer and Zone office WILL BE Getting a COMPLAINT

·
Registered
43 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by New Honda and Ody Owner:
This happened to me in my one month old - 1005 miles brand new ody too.

Very ticked off - I actually dduplicated the problem again. Open the passenger side sliding door, then driver's passenger slide door, leave the dome light in the middle position and try to start the van. It will not crank over - I had to give it gas to crank over - very POOR Design for a Honda

Dealer and Zone office WILL BE Getting a COMPLAINT
</font>
Happened to me this morning. Not a full tank.
Have only about 1100 miles.
Dome light was in the middle position.
Parked the car yesterday in the garage and opened the driver side door and closed it.
Opened the passenger side door and closed it this morning.
Had to crank a lot more than usual 5-10 seconds before it started.
Have no clue the relation between using doors and dome switch position got to do with hard starting.
Definitely not a battery issue. Right!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When it happened to me, neither slider was opened all day, or before I attempted to start. Since adjusting TPS all is well.
John

·
Registered
596 Posts
When the doors are open, the squirrels have ideas of escaping and cannot concentrate on starting the wheel. The other point is that one should NEVER "top-off" your gas tank. You can ruin the carbon cannister (if so equipped).

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
And TPS is the acronym for ___________ ?

And the plenum is for ________ and is located ____________ ?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, Technical jargon...
TPS stands for throttle position sensor (how much fuel is going in or how fast you want to go)
Plenum is considered an upper intake manifold (under that pretty plastic cover that says Honda on top of the engine)
A TPS switch is nothing more than a potentiometer (sp?) ie a volume knob. The more one presses the gas pedal, the more the TPS moves thus, letting more fuel in. Theres a whole lot of other software issues going on at the same time, but thats pretty much it in a nutshell.
As far as damaging the EVP system (carbon canister) by topping off your fuel tank, Unless there is a problem with the system, it can't be damaged. When fueling, when the pump stops at full don't go any more and make sure the fuel cap locks when you put it back on. If you don't you may set a OBD (computer) code that may need to be cleared by a compitent repair shop.
HTH
John

[This message has been edited by 2002EXL (edited 12-13-2001).]

·
Registered
18 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2002EXL:
Anyone else experience this yet?
Van sat all day at work, Went to leave work, van cranked for about 10 seconds before firing!! This is the 2nd time this has happened. Ody is only a week old!!
Thanks
John
</font>
Yes, I have had the same problem. It has happend a number of times. Van is a 2002 exl-nav with 200 miles and 1 week old

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had the same problem several times. Very Odd. Could this be related to the front seat heatters?

Very Odd for a new Ody : )

------------------
Will N.
New Jersey "The Garden State"

·
Registered
55 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2002EXL:
Sorry, Technical jargon...
TPS stands for throttle position sensor (how much fuel is going in or how fast you want to go)
Plenum is considered an upper intake manifold (under that pretty plastic cover that says Honda on top of the engine)
A TPS switch is nothing more than a potentiometer (sp?) ie a volume knob. The more one presses the gas pedal, the more the TPS moves thus, letting more fuel in. Theres a whole lot of other software issues going on at the same time, but thats pretty much it in a nutshell.
As far as damaging the EVP system (carbon canister) by topping off your fuel tank, Unless there is a problem with the system, it can't be damaged. When fueling, when the pump stops at full don't go any more and make sure the fuel cap locks when you put it back on. If you don't you may set a OBD (computer) code that may need to be cleared by a compitent repair shop.
HTH
John

[This message has been edited by 2002EXL (edited 12-13-2001).]
</font>
Thanks for the explanation. How did you adjusted it?

·
Registered
131 Posts
This has happened 3 times in the first 500 miles. I'll look at the TPS when the wife gets home from work...

------------------
2002 EXL-RES Redrock Pearl

2001 Chevy 2500HD crewcab 4x4

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had this problem 4 times from 850 miles to 2000 miles so far.It will not turn over until the third try every time. Took it in to dealership,they said it is because the computer is still learning the car.But I am not satisfied. It has happened on cold&hot days ,tank full or empty!!!!!

------------------
2002 MB EX-L

·
Registered
131 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MommyOdy:
I have had this problem 4 times from 850 miles to 2000 miles so far.It will not turn over until the third try every time. Took it in to dealership,they said it is because the computer is still learning the car.But I am not satisfied. It has happened on cold&hot days ,tank full or empty!!!!!

</font>
I think you have a different problem... Mine will crank but won't fire, yours sounds like it won't even crank!!!

I shoved an extra 1/2 gallon in mine at the last fill-up 3 days ago and even though the van has been started and run several times a day since then I don't think there has been 20 miles put on it since the fill-up. It has started fine everytime!!! I don't think it is an "over-full" condition...

------------------
2002 EXL-RES Redrock Pearl

2001 Chevy 2500HD crewcab 4x4

·
1,484 Posts
Just curious if anyone thinks this ignition problem has something to with the microchip in our key? I remember my sales person warning me about putting my key near strong magnets or a lot metal objects such as other keys. If has been next to some it have a hard time starting won't start at all. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

1 - 20 of 69 Posts