Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to install a radar detector in the area near my mirror. I probed some of the wires and connectors I found behind the dome/cabin light, and none are powered strictly when the ignition is on.

Has anyone hard wired a radar detector? If yes, what did you tap into, or where did you route your power cables?

My van is a 2007 EX-L with navigation.

To best convey what I'm talking about, here's a photo of a hardwired radar detector in a non-Odyssey:

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'm hoping to install a radar detector in the area near my mirror. I probed some of the wires and connectors I found behind the dome/cabin light, and none are powered strictly when the ignition is on.

Has anyone hard wired a radar detector? If yes, what did you tap into, or where did you route your power cables?

To best convey what I'm talking about, here's a photo of a hardwired radar detector in a non-Odyssey:

View attachment 154135
Only way I've seen it done was use the assessory fuse or the radio fuse and get a fuse tap and use that. Route the wires along the driverside trim and up to the ceiling. Just have to make sure you are using the right fuse and that it's getting enough power.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
505 Posts

View attachment 154135
The cord looked something like this. I'm not sure what cord my friend used or what brand detector he used so I cant be of much help their.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hardwire to fuse box is the best way. Use the add a curcuit fuse.

Btw, Waze FTW. I don't run a radar detector.
What's the "add a circuit" fuse, an aftermarket fuse tap?

Waze is great for urban areas where people use it and cell coverage is reliable. In my rural-ish area, most people have no idea what it is.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
an alternative and i had success with: Invisicord Products
I don't think this will help me. Per my testing, there is nothing behind the light which is strictly ignition only. If I had a 2008+ without navigation I'd have a backup camera rear view mirror, but instead I have a 2007 with navigation and a quite boring mirror.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
What's the "add a circuit" fuse, an aftermarket fuse tap?
Exactly. It's a fuse with an additional fuse holder on top and a pigtail to connect an additional wire to. Get an appropriate length of wire (maybe even a dual wire to deliver hot and ground) and route it from the fuse block near the dead pedal, under the trim along the A pillar then across the top of the windshield under the headliner.

·
Registered
340 Posts
You could tap the back of the cigarette lighters. I did that when i needed switched 12v at the rear. Undo the plug, Cut a little insulation off the wire, soldered onto it and taped it up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts