Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2020 Odyssey EX-L and am looking at installing a DrawTite 76170 Trailer Hitch. I would only be using it for use with a bike rack.The question I have is would you go ahead and install it yourself, or have it installed for you by some trailer hitch shop or the dealer???

I have seen a video on how to install it, but I would greatly appreciate feedback (good, bad,hints, suggestions) from anyone who has actually installed it themselves.

Thank you

Mike.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I did mine a few months ago now. Some of my experience is documented here

Overall that thread and some of the other threads on this forum have good pointers..

To summarise, definitely doable urself(this is the most complex thing I have worked on car, usually I am good for filling air and changing cabin filter), will probably take a few hours, and definitely would help if you have good toolset and and extra pair of hands while taking the bumper off.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Platinum White Pearl on Mocha Brown Leather
1,510 Posts
I believe @KYRGYZ just installed his as well.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have 2020 Odyssey EX-L and am looking at installing a DrawTite 76170 Trailer Hitch. I would only be using it for use with a bike rack.The question I have is would you go ahead and install it yourself, or have it installed for you by some trailer hitch shop or the dealer???

I have seen a video on how to install it, but I would greatly appreciate feedback (good, bad,hints, suggestions) from anyone who has actually installed it themselves.

Thank you

Mike.
We've had 3 Odysseys (2011, 2014, 2018) and we installed the Honda hitch on all of them. They look better installed with all but the receiver box invisible from the rear and the Honda hitch provides about 2" more ground clearance. I just took our 2018 EX-L in this morning for regular service and was in line between a 2018 - 19 touring model with an aftermarket hitch. Imagine, the guy spends $7,000CAD more than me for mostly useless features and then hangs a hitch on the back below the bumper level with the support bars showing. Just get the Honda hitch, its been a talking point when were were selling in the past, so some additional value there.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Or consider the ECO Hitch by Torquelift Central. It is rated at 525 pounds tongue weight at the trailer ball, and 3,500 pounds towing weight, which is I believe higher that all the other available hitches, and comes at a lower price and carries a Lifetime Warranty!!! And it comes in either 1 1/4" or 2". I've had three of their hitches on different Honda's and am very happy with them! I had a local body shop install mine. My neighbor owns it. Installation has ran about $150.

And no matter which hitch you install, don't skip torquing it, and don't skip the Locktite!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Overall that thread and some of the other threads on this forum have good pointers..

To summarise, definitely doable urself(this is the most complex thing I have worked on car, usually I am good for filling air and changing cabin filter), will probably take a few hours, and definitely would help if you have good toolset and and extra pair of hands while taking the bumper off.

Good luck!

Good luck!
Thanks for reply. That is exactly what I was looking for. I am real nervous about dismantling my 2020 Odyssey but your post is giving me the input I needed to move forward on this DIY project!😀👍

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Or consider the ECO Hitch by Torquelift Central. It is rated at 525 pounds tongue weight at the trailer ball, and 3,500 pounds towing weight, which is I believe higher that all the other available hitches, and comes at a lower price and carries a Lifetime Warranty!!! And it comes in either 1 1/4" or 2". I've had three of their hitches on different Honda's and am very happy with them! I had a local body shop install mine. My neighbor owns it. Installation has ran about $150.

And no matter which hitch you install, don't skip torquing it, and don't skip the Locktite!!!
Thank you for tips and advice!

·
Registered
478 Posts
installed myself and helped another member to install, takes 1 hour. Main advice get help, that hitch is heavy af!
You just need basic tools and torque wrench, utility knife too for cutting a hole in your bumper.
Just be careful and take your time, rear bumper is very simple to remove, I did it for the first time ever and it took me 1.5 hours to complete the install without anyone helping me.
Trust me, properly replacing front fog lights with bumper off is 100 times worse than doing the whole tow hitch install lol

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
installed myself and helped another member to install, takes 1 hour. Main advice get help, that hitch is heavy af!
You just need basic tools and torque wrench, utility knife too for cutting a hole in your bumper.
Just be careful and take your time, rear bumper is very simple to remove, I did it for the first time ever and it took me 1.5 hours to complete the install without anyone helping me.
Trust me, properly replacing front fog lights with bumper off is 100 times worse than doing the whole tow hitch install lol
Thanks for reply. That is the input I was looking for. Amazing that it only took an hour! Did you need any special “trim removal tools” to get wrap-around bumper piece off? I am real nervous about taking now perfect fitting body panel off, and getting it back on and looking perfect as it is now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts