Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering about the Spyder Fog lights, and their quality. I can buy the oem harness, relay, and switch to pair with them and be all in for around $160; however, if their quality poor it's not worth the savings. For my 2012 LX.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I installed them on MY2011 I got sick and tired of the oem with glass kept on breaking them . I bought the smoke ones and also had led bulbs put in which is great.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Konnor: what bulb is used with the spyder fog lights? is it the H11?

Tacticaldriver: where did you buy the oem harness, relay and switch? do you have the part numbers?

I am seriously considering the yellow lens to help with foggy conditions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't gone through with it, but Bernardi had all the necessary parts. Switch, Relay, Fuse, Wiring Harness (off the top of my head). Was worried about the Spyder quality as on some sites they had bad reviews.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I too saw the spyder ones on ebay (for my new 2016 EXL). Is that truely plug and play?

Any other aftermarket recommendations for fogs?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought a set of spyder fog lights for my 16 odyssey (through ebay)...the quality is very bad, but I guess the only good thing is that I got another set from their customer service free of charge and was able to keep the first set (after emailing them about the quality, just haven't had the time to re-install)

The quality is bad in terms that...I bought the yellow glass ones and the two yellow glasses didn't have the same shades of yellow (one was a brighter/darker yellow than the other which was more white-ish), not very noticeable when fogs are off and from a distant, but at night when fogs are on, one side is more yellow, while other side is white-ish.

Then to top it off, the housings aren't airtight sealed...so there's very notice-able condensation accumulation inside the housing (on the inside glass). It was actually just the passenger side at first, then after a month or so, both got condensation in them.

I'm just too lazy now to re-install the new ones they sent me and see how they do (but I'll probably slap some silicone on the housing before installing)

In terms of plug and play...maybe it is maybe it isn't (just a lot of work)...after looking around for the firewall and empty slots (to put the fog switch)...I pretty much concluded that it would be more work and heartache to install it the way that spyder intended (routing wires through the engine bay to get to the firewall, then to find a empty compatible switch slot, which my odyssey had none other than the horizontal one which doesn't fit the vertical switch...all the vertical switch are taken by the LDW, tailgate, etc...), then to just buy the oem light stalk with fog switch, harness, and relay (now that's really plug and play)...just won't be able to wire/use the fogs independent of the headlights (which I don't really care for anyway)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too got the spyder ones. Seetee, I sent you a PM. I was also not impressed with the upper harness, so I've not installed the upper harness. I'd like to have it route through the fuze box and stalk on the interior but have no idea the part numbers required to tie into those. Help?

·
Registered
31 Posts
To use the fog housings with the OEM set-up you would need to order

Part No.: 08V31-TK8-10030
Harness, Foglight
OEM wiring for the fog housings to the positive/ground in engine bay (it was $31)

Part No.: 39794-SDA-A03
Relay Assy., Power (Micro Iso)(OMron)
OEM relay that plugs into the empty slot in the engine bay passenger side fusebox (along with adding a 20A fuse to the fog light fuse slot, there should be a spare 20A fuse in the fusebox cover...$15 or so for the part)

Part No.: 35255-TK8-A71
Switch Assy., Lighting & Turn Signal
OEM stalk that has the fog light switch (not sure what trim you have, but the A71 is for those trim that has the lane watch camera button at the end of the stalk, I think there is another stalk for the lower trims that don't have the lane watch camera...$37 or so for the part)

The items are available through many online dealer parts website (just do google searches on the parts # for the best price/shipping), so in total you're paying the $60 or so for the spyder fogs then the extra $80-100 for oem switches/harnesses/relay...which I'd say is still a little less then going all out OEM, and I guess spyder does offer some different lens aesthetics...just be sure to add some silicone or whatever to the housings to make sure they are waterproof...Mine still works fine with water condensing inside, but it's just that in the back of my head, I'm just too OCD and know that it's not perfect, just haven't had the time to re-install.

The hardest part of the whole install is taking off the front bumper to route the wiring harness from housing to housing to power sources (that honda is nice enough to already have present, just that they are greedy enough to leave out fog lights for higher trim models - like most mfg)

Changing out the stalk for the fog light stalk is easy

Putting in the 20A fuse and fog light harness is easiest

Just study the attached installation guide (search for "odyssey fog light installation") there should be a techinfo pdf or so

IMG_20170820_101503.jpg IMG_20170820_101510.jpg IMG_20170820_101521.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
The newer Spyder fog light kits come with the horizontal switch that fits perfectly in the blank switch slot which is awesome. I too am having trouble figuring out how to get through the firewall without causing damage or making a large hole. If anyone that has installed them could share a picture showing where they punched through, I would certainly appreciate it. I thought about going with the oem setup but I rather have the independent lights instead with its own switch and without the extra cost for parts. Although I might just have to pay a mechanic to do this for me of i can't find any help online. Youtube videos are really lacking on this setup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts