Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is serious. It appears that Honda is putting parts in their vehicles from the cheapest suppliers. From reading this forum & my own experience:

1. The tires last 30k if your lucky. (Pax is another story)
2. Honda will only stand behind a battery for 2 years.
3. Door rattles galore.
4. Shocks will last only 40k.
5. Transmission, brake, & power steering recalls monthly.

Anyone want to add anything? IMO, this is not sustainable. Eventualy, Consumer Reports will not be able to cover for Honda anymore.

I still like my '07 EXL but I expected much better parts longevity. My 2000 Ford Ranger has been bullet proof. Come on Honda!

·
Registered
778 Posts
I definitly agree with you on the fact that Honda seems to be running on residual reliability perception rather than quality. Theres nothing stopping me from buying a Ford, Toyota, Nissan or other maker. Its just that I liked the Ody, brand loyalty has nothing to do with it for me and if it did, Honda would definitly not be on top. I also believe that now that the Ody is "The first Odyssey to ever be engineered, designed and built in the US" is a fact that it now pretty much is a ford. There is no foriegn knowledge about it.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Just feel like saying something: Honda and Toyota cars have been made in North America for decades now, and had a great reliability record for a long time. Those 80s Accords that lasted forever? Yep, US made. Those 90s Camrys? Yep, US made. Manufacturing a vehicle in North America does not make it less reliable. Cutting costs in development, manufacturing and parts does, and so does introducing new technologies more frequently.

I am not defending Honda or anyone else, and I am not fully happy with our car's quality (noise in front doors, PS reservoir issue, unending transmission software updates, etc) but North American workers are not idiots who don't know how to tighten a bolt, and North American engineers are not too stupid to know how to design a car. At least, not more so than Asian workers and engineers... :)

All my opinion, of course, and before anyone asks, I don't work in manufacturing or engineering, and noone in my family does. I work in IT, supporting Asia-made computers... :)

Nicolas

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I agree with the above. Doesn't matter where it's made...just matters HOW the manufacturer is addressing QC. I've owned quite a number of Toyotas that were all built in the US and were excellent quality. This is our first Honda and it is NOT on par with other vehicles Honda builds here in US and Canada. The fact that the glove-box is STILL out of alignment on 2010 models just says they don't care.

I know some folks that work directly with auto suppliers. They built the part to Honda/toyota/GM specs. They said historically Honda has been far more QC oriented in their designs than other manufacturers.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Honda is doing well so why change? I'm surprised they haven't addressed the power steering issue from my 2006 that is present in my 2010.

Its all about money. I bought another Odyssey because the Sienna drove like an old man. The Chrysler felt cheap inside. If Dodge had put a Hemi into their van I'd of bought American.

My 2006 Prius had less problems than the Odyssey and it is some serious piece of electronics.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
wild willy said:
I'm in............Honda sucks....STOP BUYING THEM!
I am with you. I sold our 08 Ody and would never buy another new Honda/Acura till I saw signs of quality again. They are building crap based on decades of a solid reputation. :mad:

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
We have a '06 EXL-RES and a '04 Civic Si Sedan. Hate to say it but we'll never buy another one. Like others have said, the quality sucks. Rattles everywhere and the fit and finish is poor. On both of our vehicles the paint is really bad and there are gaps in the seals on some of the windows between the glass and the body. Still cannot figure out why there is still no fix for the mis aligned glove box, totally inexcuseable to have the same problem show up in the 2010's. Transmission problem seems to have been carried over from the previous model year. The problem I have now is I have water in all 4 pieces of the tailights again. They were supposedly changed out just before the warranty ran out.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Our 05 Ody was in the shop constantly, brakes, rattles, power steering, door locks that cycled on their own, engine mounts, exhaust vibrations, etc...

The 08 was no better. One year and adios, could not take it anymore.

·
Registered
606 Posts
7FAMILYTRUCKSTR said:
Or buy used at 50k miles when the crap parts are replaced.
LOL having just bought one with 56k on it, I am laughing but also crying. I have never had a used car or any car I bought have so many issues in such a short period of time.

My '06 - we got it in July - Since then we have had the rear shocks go, AC blower thermal cutout go, the alternator bearing is howling, rear motor mount, DVD wire, and it has that PS issue where it feels like it goes out and comes despite the new tank and fluid, and the brakes are mushy again even after I installed stainless lines. I did do research before buying but granted there was some "perception" from my wife who owned a flawless Prelude '91 and the popularity of the model that led me to give benefit of the doubt.

If GM made a decent minivan with good fuel mileage, I would have bought it. Newer vehicles like the Traverse are too new to get a used deal on them. Wife did not like Kia, and I'm not going to drive some mush-mobile Toyota, its bad enough driving a van, but Toyota is like an old Buick although the new one is supposed to be improved.

I have had issues with my GM with quality, small trim things are typically crap on the older vehicles like my '98, but the damn thing is hitting 200k on the original engine, transmission, alternator and PS pump.

I think its like the old story where the "emperor is not wearing any clothes". Sooner or later, people will hear about it. I thought I was plugged into automotive scene with the amount of time I spend goofing around and reading stuff, but I had not heard about transmission issues in Accords like Patel has mentioned repeatedly, and of course there are other issues. I thought Honda was better about taking care of customers. Well, actually they probably are better than the gang bang you get at the domestic dealers, although some have changed.

I think now, Honda is not undesirable, but only about average or even below average in terms of quality and reliability. Ford, Gm have come a long way, and even Chrysler ( I have owned two, and probably will not own another to be honest) are much improved, and we even considered a Hyundai. Reputations take a long time to change, but domestics are doing it.

Wonder how Fiat will affect Chrysler's image. They used to be "Fix It Again Tony".

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I am a lifer for H/A products, look at my sig. I have owned 4 Accords, 3 Odys, CRV, Legend. My current stable is more reliable than our $40K Ody was. My 89 Legend has NO RATTLES, and it is 21 years old!!!

Honda is getting smacked by Hyundai here in Canada in sales. What more of a kick in the crotch do they need?

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I have no Idea what is next for me.....Only thing I know is that it WILL NOT be a Honda. It may be a BMW....it may be a Hyundai...... If we get another Van....it will be a Toyota

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
On a Side note..I am not a big fan of buying Extended Warranties......However.......the van felt like such a POS that we decided to buy one.... Honda Care. It has paid for itself at least 3x over. It is up this month.......Scares me quite a bit!

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
wild willy said:
On a Side note..I am not a big fan of buying Extended Warranties......However.......the van felt like such a POS that we decided to buy one.... Honda Care. It has paid for itself at least 3x over. It is up this month.......Scares me quite a bit!
Only quote your highway MPG when you sell it. :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Things are not so black and white any more. Suppliers are constantly battling quality issues themselves because of crappy raw material, short supply, etc. What's Honda, Toyota, or any other manufacturer supposed to do about that? Stop producing vehicles? Or go with something that will keep the wheels rolling even if there is a little fall out? Not only that, but is it Honda's fault that Michelin couldn't get a tire to last long on a heavy vehicle hitting the suburban jungle? Is it McPherson's fault that the shocks don't last? It never is...is it? Always Honda's fault.

What sucks is that the paying customers get the short end of this stick regardless of where you assign the accountability. When you fork out $40k it hurts more than when you get a crappy steak at a restaurant. Even though our 05 has been awesome, I won't say any of you are wrong for feeling you have not gotten your money's worth if the ownership experience has been that poor.

What feels wrong, though, is claiming Honda is bad, or can't produce good products, or is somehow slipping from what they've built their core reputation upon. This is impacting all manufacturers, and all these cutting-edge cars coming out now have got 5 to 10 years of proving they're worth their weight before I'll ever believe they're as solid as what Honda has had rolling off their assembly lines over the years.

Does any one else see this big picture view? I hate being on the paying end of this deal too but this whole issue crosses so many industries right now. It's just insane.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
brady33, I understand your point of view. But...H/A was world reknown for quality and sporty motoring. They have cut so many corners it has left a bitter taste in many mouths. The current line-up is pure ****e. From crappy trans to spark plugs barfing out and ruining heads, it is inexcusable.

Last week I had the chance to drive a 2007 BMW 3232i. It was spectacular. Tight, quick, and a blast to drive. Where has that H/A passion gone. Stop building ugly azz slow crapboxes. :rant:

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
brady33 said:
Things are not so black and white any more. Suppliers are constantly battling quality issues themselves because of crappy raw material, short supply, etc. What's Honda, Toyota, or any other manufacturer supposed to do about that? Stop producing vehicles? Or go with something that will keep the wheels rolling even if there is a little fall out? Not only that, but is it Honda's fault that Michelin couldn't get a tire to last long on a heavy vehicle hitting the suburban jungle? Is it McPherson's fault that the shocks don't last? It never is...is it? Always Honda's fault.

It's Honda's responsibility to ensure that they're using quality products built to their spec. As I mentioned earlier, I know folks in the auto supplier industry and they will build the part to whatever spec the auto manufacturer requests. Sure there will always be manufacturing issues and a batch of bad parts go out....but that's not generally the case for what I'm seeing with the latest Hondas. A lot of the problems with the Odyssey are not simply supplier issues....particularly when they persist over 5 years. The steering, brakes, etc. are just designed poorly.

IMHO, Honda decided there wasn't much competition in the minivan market and spit out a highly profitable product that was JUST good enough to be the best. They obviously can do better because their bread-n-butter cars are still built quite nicely with far better materials/parts.

·
Registered
778 Posts
brady33 said:

What sucks is that the paying customers get the short end of this stick regardless of where you assign the accountability. When you fork out $40k it hurts more than when you get a crappy steak at a restaurant. Even though our 05 has been awesome, I won't say any of you are wrong for feeling you have not gotten your money's worth if the ownership experience has been that poor.

What feels wrong, though, is claiming Honda is bad, or can't produce good products, or is somehow slipping from what they've built their core reputation upon. This is impacting all manufacturers, and all these cutting-edge cars coming out now have got 5 to 10 years of proving they're worth their weight before I'll ever believe they're as solid as what Honda has had rolling off their assembly lines over the years.

Does any one else see this big picture view? I hate being on the paying end of this deal too but this whole issue crosses so many industries right now. It's just insane.
Honda may not have designed or engineered PAX, but they did decide to use it in two of their cars. If it was offered as an option I wouldn't have a problem with it, but instead they held desired options hostage and forced high end customers into buying a system that clearly did not have the support behind it to back it up. I also do/have credited Michelin for part of the PAX fiasco, but more mainly Honda. They packaged the Ody before it hit the sales floor in September of 04.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Odysseys are not alone:

Malaysian Honda Accord problems

:)

As I said, I see two big problems, which are present in many other industries: Changes happen more quickly, which means parts and systems have both a shorter production life span and must be brought to market more quickly, and costs are being kept low and driven lower. A 2011 Odyssey is a much more advanced vehicle than a 2000 Odyssey, with more power, comfort, equipment and space, and all of this is being sold at a very similar price to the 2000. That simple fact amazes and scares me, both at the same time.

This does not excuse, but it explains. That Honda would choose to play that game instead of working towards better quality/reliability is probably due to the fact that they do not have any problem selling cars. If it starts hurting them, they'll start looking at it, just like Toyota did/is doing since the recall. If the glove box alignement mattered to people enough to impact sales, they would have fixed it. As it is, it only bothers a...-retentive folks like me, so we're left to live with it or try to fix it ourselves.

Nicolas

1 - 20 of 32 Posts