Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( My 2005 Odyssey: during the rain, the rear hatch door will actually hold water. When I go to open the hatch door, it pours out of the latch unit in the door. Seems to hold at least a gallon or more of water during a heavy rain and takes about 5 - 10 minutes for me to drain by shaking the door up and down. I'm terrified that the door is rusting from the inside. There is no visibile damage to cause the leak and the only thing that I can think of is that the water gets in from the back-up view cam - not likely but can not think of anything else that might cause so much water to leak in the door and be collected. Any ideas???

- Desperate not to have a rusty door. Would greatly appreciate good advice.

·
Administrator
14,148 Posts
I assume you are out of warranty. If not, take it in ASAP.

The water can be getting in from the top as well. Look at the rubber sleals on the top behind the spoiler in addition to the license place thingy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll check it. I'm still shocked that something like this would happen on a relatively new car. The dealer seemed to suggest that he had never heard of this happening before. Is there any chance the dealer would repair / replace this if it is out of warrentee?

·
Administrator
14,148 Posts
Josh Kalish said:
Thanks, I'll check it. I'm still shocked that something like this would happen on a relatively new car. The dealer seemed to suggest that he had never heard of this happening before. Is there any chance the dealer would repair / replace this if it is out of warrentee?
You can ask for goodwill consideration.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
This problem is not common though. Water leaks are a PITA. See what the dealer will do for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the same issue, I suspect that the water is getting in around the license plate molding, but this is a guess.
Have you be able to locate the source of the leak?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Possible solution. I suspected that water was getting in around the top off license plate/door handle housing ('D' shaped area)After a rain I removed the inside rear door panel. The inside is built that the 'D' shaped area is its own compartment and this is where the water was accumulating I had my wife run water on the closed door while I watched from the inside of the Van. While I cannot see inside that 'D' shaped area I did see that water was coming in around the tail lights. The design is such that they are opened into this 'D' shaped area
I removed the tail lights and found that the seal around them on the outside edge was coated in mud. I removed the seals and gave them a good cleaning and then placed a bead of clear silicon caulking around the light housing. I also caulked around the top edge the 'D' shaped housing because the piece wasn't sealed tightly. Finally on the bottom edge of the door there are 4 plastic door strikers that have holes in them. I drilled these out by about another 1/16" to allow water to weep out. Since doing this it hasn't rained a drop but once a good rain happens I will provide an update. I did wash the van and it didn't appear to have any issues. I have attached a couple of pictures to better illustrate the area's I am referring to. Sorry I don't have pictures of the inside of the door I didn't think to do that when I had it apart.

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just noticed the same problem in my Honda Odyssey 2005. Going to try the tail-light seals first. Any new experience shared would be appreciated.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 2005 as well, and have run into a few issues. Make sure the drain plugs are clear at the bottom of the rear hatch. If you open the hatch, you will see I think 4 little black clips/fitting that you can remove....these oftern get clogged, and you might have to remove them and clear out the debris. (This was my issue whan I was having water leak out of the rear hatch when I opened the back)

Also, ran into another issue within the last 6 months in that sometimes after a heavy rain, the bottom of the read deck was moist/damp on the interior. Started recreating a semi rainfall, and found out the issue was that there is a rubber grommet on the top portion of the rear hatch when opened, and the seal was not making great contact. (When you open the hatch, look at the top right frame part of the car, and you will see the rubber grommet) I simply just used some silicone around it, and its been good ever since)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I am having the same issue with my 2008 Odyssey. Gonna open up the inside of the door and take a look. Will look at the tail lights. Hopefully it is something that simple.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I am having the same issue with my 2008 Odyssey. Gonna open up the inside of the door and take a look. Will look at the tail lights. Hopefully it is something that simple.
Fixed mine. Accumulated water in the tail light. When you open the hatch, some of the water would leak out in the trim area where you would change out the bulbs. This is what I did to resolve (post #20):

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/83526-taillight-has-water-side.html#post1086186

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi threesunsbrewin, I'm having the same issue w/ water coming in the back hatch. It looks like it comes in the same area on mine (2001 EX). The silicone: was it just silicone caulk? I guess you just had to make sure it dried long enough and then it was fine??
Thank you!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts