Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone tell me there this leak is occurring? It's not coming from the top down but around where the photo highlights. Any help would be appreciated. 2001 ODY 93k. Timing belt, cam, crankshaft, tensior, waterpump and seals done at 88k.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Is it leaking or just residual from the timing belt. Is there oil on the ground or if you wipe it up does it reappear after engine start?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It leaks down til the oil plug bolt and then hangs there for a few days and drops a drop the size of a dime. I wipe it off and then it reappears the next day. I have noticed it is hitting the exhaust since it smells.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Well, I'm a bit embarrassed that I can't tell you. Why?

Because I have had the same (or at least it seems to be the same) leak on my 2001 for a few years now. Except I don't have it dropping onto the exhaust - I'm having a bit of a hard time visualizing that (based only upon what I know with my leak).

What I can tell you is that - if it is the same as my situation - it is not from the front seal or the cam seals. It is not from the oil pressure sensor. It might be either from a porous flaw or from a gasket for the oil pump (or something else there).

I am generally meticulous about my cars, but my 2001 has had such major tranny problems that I have come to a place where I ignore the small stuff.

And for me my leak is just a bit of a mess on the oil pan, with a drop that accumulates and then might come off of the oil drain plug while parked. (But it is pretty messy down there when you lift the car and have a look.)

In days gone by I would be "all over it". Now my attitude is that it has been that way for quite awhile, and I simply check the oil level in between oil changes.

I know this post is not helpful in resolving your problem, but just wanted to indicate that perhaps this is not atypical. If I can get myself to believe in the van again, then maybe I will explore further.

I would very much appreciate it if you post whatever you find out.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I'd venture to guess it's coming from one of the valve covers.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Have you recently switched to synthetic engine oil? Are you certain it is not power steering fluid?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have the same issue and have had it as well for quite a while as MEM stated. I am pretty sure it is the gasket behind the oil pump. I replaced the oil pressure switch and also the gasket and strainer behind the oil filter adapter with no improvement. I finally added oil dye and found a hairline crack on the oil pump but have not decided to replace it yet. I have 175K on the van and can't justify spending 10 hr of labor to replace it at $85-$100 per hour. There was one member that had the oil pump seal/o-ring replaced and it resolved the issue. The problem seems to manifest after 120K miles. Good Luck....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Interesting... I have the same problem and was searching the forums here to see what it could be. I'm going to order the oil seal for the pump and see if it helps after I replace it.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Mine leaks slowly from the two set screws on the pump. Once it warms up, I am putting a layer of JB Weld over them to stop it. I am cheap and lazy, no way pulling an oil pump off for an easy two beer fix. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts