Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2007 EX-L with RES.....great.
Can I simply change my head unit to a NAV?

I can worry about the GPS Antenna and rear back up Camera Later.....but can I simply buy a used NAV Head unit and have it installed?

Thanks in advance.
DN

·
Super Moderator
13,639 Posts
It can be done but it is NOT easy. Look for posts from a guy named King for more details.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Its not easy, but I have been thinking about it for a while. My CD changer just stopped working and now I'm torn about whether or not I will replace it. At 130K+ the Ody is moving towards retirement. Which for me means, I will get another van and keep the Ody since I like it so much. I really don't want to get another factory CD player, only to replace it a in a few months or years with the upgraded NAV. Now I'm wondering if I can get the nav screen now, and just use the audio portion and then worry about the backup camera, DVD, voice controls, NAV system later, but knowing Honda, I know it will not be that easy. Especially since I don't believe the radio can be controlled through the screen without having the lower panel at all.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Its not easy, but I have been thinking about it for a while. My CD changer just stopped working and now I'm torn about whether or not I will replace it. At 130K+ the Ody is moving towards retirement. Which for me means, I will get another van and keep the Ody since I like it so much. I really don't want to get another factory CD player, only to replace it a in a few months or years with the upgraded NAV. Now I'm wondering if I can get the nav screen now, and just use the audio portion and then worry about the backup camera, DVD, voice controls, NAV system later, but knowing Honda, I know it will not be that easy. Especially since I don't believe the radio can be controlled through the screen without having the lower panel at all.
If the car is getting old, doesn't it make sense to spend as little money/time on the car as possible? Why don't you just get a Gramin? I bought a Garmin Nuvi 1390 LMT, which has a 4.3 in touch screen with life time free map update and blue-tooth for $140.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Basically if you want factory Nav, get it when you buy the car. The cost of HU, player for the Nav CDROM, wiring is prohibitively expensive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I do have 07 with RES and am looking into attempting the exact same thing -- King has done it successfully and I have sent him a PM a couple weeks ago to get more information but he hasn't replied, perhaps he's no longer very active in this forum.
The most challenging part is to find wiring diagram (not just stereo but complete Nav, HU, changer, Nav DVD drive etc.). I've searched online without much luck. I don't know how/where King got it from. Either there's a source for that information that I haven't stumbled upon or another way is to find an Ody with factory NAV to see how the wiring is supposed to be done.
Please do let me know if you find more about this.

·
Super Moderator
13,639 Posts
King got the wiring information from the factory shop manual. It has wiring information in detail.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts