Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a tow hitch on my 2012 Odyssey EX just to attach a bike rack years ago. I’d like to get a small camper, so I know I need to have a transmission cooler Installed. I’m guessing I also have to get a wiring harness installed as well so break lights and potentially breaks work as well.I’d rather pay someone to install everything, but I don’t want to get bent over backward on price.

Should I call a transmission shop about getting a cooler installed? Should I ask about providing my own transmission cooler? Anyone recommend a specific model?

Who should I contact about the wiring for towing?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
what class hitch did you install, what is the receiver size?

I got the trucool 4454 from this seller on ebay.
no complaints.

Wiring harness...
or the dealer

do an advanced search on here for trucool or cooler installs, you will find lots of videos and good info including towing safety tips, tire load ratings and recommendations.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The wiring harness is a plug in at the vehicle end. As simple as it gets. If you do any of your own work, like changing wiper blades, just do it yourself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The wiring harness is a plug in at the vehicle end. As simple as it gets. If you do any of your own work, like changing wiper blades, just do it yourself.
Yeah, I’ve done a lot of work myself. I’ll just do this myself then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what class hitch did you install, what is the receiver size?

I got the trucool 4454 from this seller on ebay.
no complaints.

Wiring harness...
or the dealer

do an advanced search on here for trucool or cooler installs, you will find lots of videos and good info including towing safety tips, tire load ratings and recommendations.
Thanks for the info. I didn’t actually put a hitch in it since I’ve just used a bike rack, but it’s the standard size receiver, not the smaller one.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Thanks for the info. I didn’t actually put a hitch in it since I’ve just used a bike rack, but it’s the standard size receiver, not the smaller one.
There isn't really a "standard size". There are "classes". I assume by "standard" you mean Class III, with the 2" receiver opening.

Stolen without permission from: Towing - Trailer Hitch Size & What you Need to Know

Hitch Class
Hitch classes are separated by their maximum weight capacity rating and receiver opening size. Classes range from I to V, and each class has its own unique capacity and applications.

ClassBasic UseSize of OpeningGross Trailer Weight (lbs)Tongue Weight CapacityCommon Tow VehiclesUsed to Tow
ILight-Duty1.25"2000200Passenger cars, small crossoversMotorcycles, small utility trailers, small boats
IIModerate-Duty1.25"3,500350Mid-sized sedansMid-sized boats, small campers, snowmobiles
IIIVersatile/Mix2"3,500-6,000350-600Pickups,minivans, full-size SUVsMid-sized boats, mid-sized campers, boats, utility trailers
IVHeavy-Duty2"10-12,0001,000-1,200Large pickups, SUVsHeavy loads, large campers, boats, toy haulers
VHeaviest-Duty2.5"16-20,0001,600-2,000Heavy-duty vehicles, commercial trucksLarge board, full sized campers, equipment trailers

Reactions: Ticket

·
Registered
2013 Odyssey Touring Elite
49 Posts
etrailer.com has some videos showing the installation of transmission coolers in our Odysseys. Depending on how cold it gets and how long it stays cold where you are, you might want to consider ensuring that there is a thermostat associated with the cooler so that you don't get the fluid too cold.

The Honda wiring harness and most of the standard fare for the Odyssey will give you only a plug with four pins at the hitch. This only controls the lights on the trailer. If you want to control brakes, you'll need to install a brake controller and an aftermarket wiring harness with a 7-pin plug.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
what hitch models support / mount a brake a 7 pin plug?

I know my existing hitch has nothing, just the receiver and the holes for the chains.

·
Registered
2013 Odyssey Touring Elite
49 Posts
what hitch models support / mount a brake a 7 pin plug?

I know my existing hitch has nothing, just the receiver and the holes for the chains.
I only know that the OEM hitch does not. I use my truck for towing and my van for hauling people comfortably. 😎

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Honda OEM hitch is a Class II hitch with 350# max tongue weight. It will not tolerate a weight distribution hitch if you plan on towing something bigger.

I posted this to another thread a couple of months back:

2016 Ody- Towing a Teardrop Trailer?

"Short version. We have towed over 5k miles now with 2013 Odyssey EX-L, RPOD 182G travel trailer around 2700# dry weight (up to 3700 fully loaded at times), family of 4. Weight distribution hitch, stacked plate transmission cooler, carrying full size spare. All trips were pretty much fully loaded but within tire and axle weight specs.

My previous discussion on these threads including part numbers and additional recommendations for setup.
Also:

See this for accessing the rear fuse box to add charging if you want to add a 7-way connector:
7 blade rv connector ... appears somewhat prewired from...

See this for discussion around fuse vs breaker for trailer brake
https://www.etrailer.com/question-40515.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts