Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I only got the EXL-RES, so it didnt come with the hdmi.

However, I wouldnt hesitate to hook up an xbox 360, or playstation 3 to it via hdmi.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Would Apple TV be a worthwhile option to hook up to the hdmi input? Just trying to figure out a way to store/play as many movies in the vehicle without having to have a bunch of discs in there. Has anyone got any experience or feedback about playing movies off an ipod or iphone on the new Odyssey?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Riderfan said:
Would Apple TV be a worthwhile option to hook up to the hdmi input? Just trying to figure out a way to store/play as many movies in the vehicle without having to have a bunch of discs in there. Has anyone got any experience or feedback about playing movies off an ipod or iphone on the new Odyssey?
correct me if i'm wrong, but with apple tv, you need to stream media to it. so you'd need an ipod or ipad for that. Next is the fact that i think it streams over WiFi, and needs a router, it doesn't create a peer to peer connection. and I think bluTooth is too slow to accomodate high definition video transfer rates.

·
Registered
11 Posts
PhilZJ said:
correct me if i'm wrong, but with apple tv, you need to stream media to it. so you'd need an ipod or ipad for that. Next is the fact that i think it streams over WiFi, and needs a router, it doesn't create a peer to peer connection. and I think bluTooth is too slow to accomodate high definition video transfer rates.
Your right about the current generation Appletv, but your wrong about the 1st generation AppleTv. The 1st generation Appletv has a hard drive with it that you can load with media. People have loaded theirs up and taken them on trips to use at motels. It doesnt need anything to stream with. Just plug it up and enjoy. The new model however does require a computer/ipod/ipad to stream from however.

·
Registered
316 Posts
From what I've read, the HDMI is in the Touring that has the dual wide screen. The HDMI is for, say, attaching a second DVD player (or whatever other HDMI output device you have) in order to play two movies on the screen at once. Very cool. Wish I had it in my EX-L RES.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
TexasOdyssey said:
Your right about the current generation Appletv, but your wrong about the 1st generation AppleTv. The 1st generation Appletv has a hard drive with it that you can load with media. People have loaded theirs up and taken them on trips to use at motels. It doesnt need anything to stream with. Just plug it up and enjoy. The new model however does require a computer/ipod/ipad to stream from however.
Ah, I'm sorry, I thought you were referring to the newest apple TV.
I really wish it could connect via wifi without a router as an adHoc connection or something. It would be very convenient to stream from our ipad without a cable going from the front passenger seat all the way to the back of the van.

·
Registered
157 Posts
PhilZJ said:
Ah, I'm sorry, I thought you were referring to the newest apple TV.
I really wish it could connect via wifi without a router as an adHoc connection or something. It would be very convenient to stream from our ipad without a cable going from the front passenger seat all the way to the back of the van.
I wouldn't hesitate to hook both an Airport Express (router) and new generation Apple TV up to the outlet in back. The latter draws about 2.3W when streaming video while my quick measurement of an Airport Express showed it uses 4W, so we're still talking a fraction of the 70W a PS3 slim draws or the 16W a Wii would.

With that arrangement, you could use AirPlay to stream movies from your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch wirelessly from anywhere in the van.

Also, some phones act as WiFi hotspots nowadays and you have dedicated MiFi hardware. You could probably even have an arrangement where you use the Apple TV and wireless data to stream Netflix on the road (though it would quickly eat up your monthly bandwidth).

Nevertheless, I think what I'd use the HDMI port for is a portable Blu Ray player. Most of my movies are in that format now (or in iTunes), and most portable Blu Ray players have HDMI-out.

Luckily for me, iPod/iPads have a composite video out adapter, as does one portable Blu Ray player I'm eying, so my lowly non-Elite Touring's RCA inputs will probably work acceptably for my purposes.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
boulder_bum said:
I wouldn't hesitate to hook both an Airport Express (router) and new generation Apple TV up to the outlet in back. The latter draws about 2.3W when streaming video while my quick measurement of an Airport Express showed it uses 4W, so we're still talking a fraction of the 70W a PS3 slim draws or the 16W a Wii would.

With that arrangement, you could use AirPlay to stream movies from your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch wirelessly from anywhere in the van.

Also, some phones act as WiFi hotspots nowadays and you have dedicated MiFi hardware. You could probably even have an arrangement where you use the Apple TV and wireless data to stream Netflix on the road (though it would quickly eat up your monthly bandwidth).

Nevertheless, I think what I'd use the HDMI port for is a portable Blu Ray player. Most of my movies are in that format now (or in iTunes), and most portable Blu Ray players have HDMI-out.

Luckily for me, iPod/iPads have a composite video out adapter, as does one portable Blu Ray player I'm eying, so my lowly non-Elite Touring's RCA inputs will probably work acceptably for my purposes.
ya that would be neat, about the streaming, except for iphone people who can't tether their iphone without jailbreaking.
also, another 100bux or so seems like a pretty expensive fix remove a simple wire. And you'd still have to string one accross the trunk, because the HDMI plug is on the opposite side of the power outlet.

·
Registered
157 Posts
PhilZJ said:
also, another 100bux or so seems like a pretty expensive fix remove a simple wire. And you'd still have to string one accross the trunk, because the HDMI plug is on the opposite side of the power outlet.
I think those willing to spend the extra bucks on a Touring Elite probably aren't too concerned about an extra $100 (heck, I'd say it might be worth the convenience!), but I'm totally with you on the silliness of placing the power outlet on one site and the HDMI port on the other.

·
Registered
29 Posts
boulder_bum said:
I think those willing to spend the extra bucks on a Touring Elite probably aren't too concerned about an extra $100 (heck, I'd say it might be worth the convenience!), but I'm totally with you on the silliness of placing the power outlet on one site and the HDMI port on the other.
I wish they have HDMI on the EX-L RES, I can use it as my notebook display :)

On EX-L RES I have the composite video input next to the power outlet.

·
Registered
157 Posts
ftahir said:
I wish they have HDMI on the EX-L RES, I can use it as my notebook display :)

On EX-L RES I have the composite video input next to the power outlet.
From what I understand, the Elites have composite video and a power outlet on the third row driver's side, but for some bizarre reason, the HDMI port is on the third row passenger side.

Anyway, I'm half hoping for an aftermarket HDMI/Blu Ray solution for the front console or something.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the great ideas! I was thinking of waiting for the 4G iPhone (verizon rumors), and getting an iPad adapter hooked to hdmi adapter (2 separate parts) to hook up. Not sure if this will work but I've read it's a reasonable working option on apple boards and on YouTube. Or I could just run my playstation 3 through it but having the hdmi on the right and the power outlet on the left was seriously short sided by the engineer/ design team. The could have at least had a storage bin close to the home where you could tuck a player into.

·
Registered
5 Posts
playing movies from ipod on Rear DVD

question for this forum.....I splurged with my 4 kids and got the touring elite......I'll be broke for years!
Is there a way to play movies from ipod classic on rear DVD?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Re: playing movies from ipod on Rear DVD

campngang said:
question for this forum.....I splurged with my 4 kids and got the touring elite......I'll be broke for years!
Is there a way to play movies from ipod classic on rear DVD?
Yes. Just get iPod video cable and hook them up to the A/V input. You'll need to use the RCA input, not HDMI.

·
Registered
157 Posts
campngang said:
thanks. where is the best place to get this cable? Also, I assume the hookup would be in the 3rd row, not the usb drive.....
Correct. The USB port doesn't support video out.

You can pick up the cable at the Apple Store, Mac Mall, Amazon and Best Buy. It even includes a USB port so you can hook up an AC adapter and keep it plugged in and charging while the movie plays.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC748ZM/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok, so it seems as though the easiest route will be to lug around a bunch of dvds, which leads me to my next question: Is there a travel case that anyone can recommend that will hold numerous dvds but can protect the discs from the extreme heat or cold of being stored in the front armrest console of the vehicle? I don't plan to leave the discs in direct sunlight but I have seen some travel cases where the individual disc slip holders have melted to the disc. Or is it not really of any concern to have discs stored in the console?

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Apple TV, Airport Express

So, after reading an earlier suggestion about this set-up, I tried it and it works perfectly in our new Touring Elite.

We already had an Airport Express (AE) and an Apple TV (ATV, 2nd gen). First, while inside our house, I changed the AE settings to "Create a wireless network". Then I changed the ATV to connect to the newly created network. Using a small extension cord in the van so I could plug in both devices, and it worked! I also have an iPad, so connecting it the AE network allows you to stream any videos on the iPad thru the ATV/HDMI port to the screen. And videos encoded with 5.1 surround sound utilize the Odyssey's sound system.

Best feature is the ability to play/control videos from anywhere in the vehicle, without being wired or sitting in the 3rd row.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Re: Apple TV, Airport Express

mromberg said:
So, after reading an earlier suggestion about this set-up, I tried it and it works perfectly in our new Touring Elite.

We already had an Airport Express (AE) and an Apple TV (ATV, 2nd gen). First, while inside our house, I changed the AE settings to "Create a wireless network". Then I changed the ATV to connect to the newly created network. Using a small extension cord in the van so I could plug in both devices, and it worked! I also have an iPad, so connecting it the AE network allows you to stream any videos on the iPad thru the ATV/HDMI port to the screen. And videos encoded with 5.1 surround sound utilize the Odyssey's sound system.

Best feature is the ability to play/control videos from anywhere in the vehicle, without being wired or sitting in the 3rd row.
cool, i'm glad you tried it. I'm going to consider going with the same setup in a few months, we just have to see how often we actually use the RES in our van. My wife and I refuse to use it for short trips.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts