Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Honda Odyssey Ex-RES (which comes with RCA ports at the back only) and I'm interested in putting an HDMI port.

The reason for this is that I want to connect a media player to the RES and the media players most often come with HDMI port and also the clarity is much better than RCA.

I do not care to have the HDMI port firmly planted on the side panel (like the original) but I would prefer a HDMI cable near the dash board so that I can connect the media player.

I presume that the DVD player should have an HDMI port on the system, but might not be connected since I did not opt for it. I checked with the dealer and they couldn't help.

Has anyone got any information on this?

I'm also handy, if somebody can direct me to open the front panel, I will be able to fix a HDMI port on the system.

·
Registered
687 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since this is my first entry in the forum, I did know where exactly to put the question. Thanks for the answer though.

I thought as much that I just need to engage the wiring that is already in place, but the dealers in Canada (at least to whom I have spoken) was not helpful in this regard. So, I was basically looking for a way to engage the wiring (probably do it myself). Any help with this regard will be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I don't think too many people have added HDMI ports to their vans so you're sorting treading on new ground here.

Oh, and if you are planning on installing an HDMI port for improved video quality, the RES screen is not that great to begin with, so don't expect a miraculous improvement in picture quality. I would just get an HDMI to RCA composite cable and be done with all the hassles.

:rollingeyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the update.

But I'm looking to run an HDMI cable right from the unit instead of using converters. So, I don't mind opening the unit and running the cable, and hence was the request for instructions to open up the unit.

Using converters didn't work very well as the clarity drops way bad.

·
Registered
71 Posts
When I had my rear passenger panel out. I noticed a connector taped to the wiring harness a few inches of where the HDMI connection would be in a Touring Elite. It had a dummy plug in the end of it. I wonder if all I would have to do is plug in the below cord assy to that connector.

Cord Assy, HDMI-A 39166-TK8-A01 $43
HDMI Holder 39119-TK8-A02ZC $14
Cover 84613-TK8-A112B $5

I have no doubt that the cover and HDMI holder would snap right into where the current dummy cover would unsnap (not welded in place).

I have a 2016 SE (factory RES and Honda Vac)

·
Registered
415 Posts
When I had my rear passenger panel out. I noticed a connector taped to the wiring harness a few inches of where the HDMI connection would be in a Touring Elite. It had a dummy plug in the end of it. I wonder if all I would have to do is plug in the below cord assy to that connector.

Cord Assy, HDMI-A 39166-TK8-A01 $43
HDMI Holder 39119-TK8-A02ZC $14
Cover 84613-TK8-A112B $5

I have no doubt that the cover and HDMI holder would snap right into where the current dummy cover would unsnap (not welded in place).

I have a 2016 SE (factory RES and Honda Vac)
Does your head unit show the option for HDMI input? I highly doubt that installing the connector would enable the selection. Therefore I think you'd need to reprogram your head unit and/or res too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts