Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 Honda Odyssey with 88,000 miles. WTF! No warning lights, car ran fine, overheated so I immediately pulled to the shoulder and called for a tow. Now they say I need a new engine at 88,000 miles! I called Honda and complained - jumped through all sorts of hoops and the best they can do is drop the price on the Honda rebuild to $6,500. The Honda customer care rep told me "parts fail" That's really nice. I guess Honda doesn't build to last any more. Looks like my next car's going to be a Toyota.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I would get a couple of other estimates. If it is in fact a blown head gasket, I'm pretty sure you can get it done a lot cheaper some place else. Oh and parts fail on Toyota's too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Blown engine in 06 odyssey

Just blew my engine in my '06 odyssey with less that 77k miles! Honda did nothing for me. Wouldn't even chip in 20% for a replacement. I'm the second owner of this van, and did buy it at a dealership, but they said I'm over the 5 year/ 60k mile warranty, so no assistance was offered. I would not have expected this from Honda. What happened to the old Honda quality, and standing behind their loyal customers. I'm 34 years old, and this is the second Honda I've owned. I loved my civic, had it for 9 years with never an issue. Had this Odyssey for 18mos, and have to replace the motor! Crazy. I would expect that Honda would help me out a little, as this isn't normal for a vehicle with so little miles. Hondas used to be known for being able to go beyond 300k miles, guess the quality has gone to the birds, as well as their customer service. I've heard the same about toyota, so I guess my next car will be a Hyundai or Kia, something with a 100k mile guarantee.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In my experience, Toyota would do the same thing Honda did. I had a Toyota pickup with a V6 blown gasket. It wasn't an overheating or instant failure situation. They said one of the cylinders was too far gone to simply replace the gasket. It's a long story, and I didn't have to pay for the new engine, because of a recall (that required a few weeks of research) but for two weeks, they would not do anything for me.

So, OP, if it was just an overheat, why can't you just replace the head gaskets?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Overheating a car does NOT necessarily mean you have a blown head gasket. Could be many things from no water in the radiator to a bad water pump. If you pulled over and had the car towed in when you first noticed, you might just need to add water and away you go.

Here is what I would do.
1. find out WHY it overheated.
2. Fix that problem and start the car to see if it runs.
3. Do a compression check.
4. Find a new mechanic or learn to do your own work.

This sounds like a classic scam to me. My last car was a 1989 Subaru GL that I bought for $200. It had some bad hoses and leaked water all over the place. The girl that owned it took it in and the mechanic told her it had cracked heads. She chalked it up as a loss and I got a VERY clean Subaru for $200. Fixed the hose, ran a compression check and all cylinders were in spec. The car started to nickle and dime me and I wanted something a little bigger. So I retired it at 275,000 miles and it's in my Dads garage waiting for one of my nephews to put in a new fuel pump and keep driving it.

In this day and age, it's safe to assume your mechanic might be looking to make a fast buck. Learn to do the basic trouble shooting and save yourself TONS of money.

PS...how much you want for your car?

·
Registered
355 Posts
I know it's a little distance but if you want to take it to another mechanic for a second opinion the guy I use is really good and has fair pricing, just ask for Jason at Nightwerks Automotive, 661-250-8464. He's in Santa Clarita, so northern LA County.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Just blew my engine in my '06 odyssey with less that 77k miles!
The previous owner could have beaten the crap out of it, not properly maintained it, etc. which lead to the failure. Did the tell you what is wrong with the engine? "blew up" is kina vague

Depending on how mechanically inclined you are, or if you have a good local shop or friends who could help you, you can pick up a used engine for $1k-$3k on ebay (you could also try going through a parts locator - maybe even pick up a salvage vehicle from copart as a donor?)

Also - the Kia/Hyundai 10yr/100k warranty is only for the original owner, otherwise it's only 60k miles.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would reiterate as I did on "Sabbott's" thread that if either one of you could provide documented receipts on oil change records that Honda might assist. From what it sounds like with both and also that both have only one post that negligence was the cause.

·
Registered
54 Posts
$6500 for a rebuilt engine??? What's a new one cost? $65000???

That's robbery
That's most likely a "remanufactured." Probably a used core with all new internal components. The engines and transmissions on a lot of manufacturers are like that now. For all intensive purposes it's new.

·
Registered
539 Posts
$6500 for a rebuilt engine??? What's a new one cost? $65000???

That's robbery
Hey, it's the 21st century now, not like the good-ol'days when you could get a reman'd small-block Chevy for $650. Many new vehicles (diesel pickups, german luxury and sports cars) now have five-digit engine replacement costs!

And remember, the dealer's job is to get into your wallet. They either do that in the service department, or the price scares you right into the showroom to look at a new car instead. It's win-win for them!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey, it's the 21st century now, not like the good-ol'days when you could get a reman'd small-block Chevy for $650. Many new vehicles (diesel pickups, german luxury and sports cars) now have five-digit engine replacement costs!

And remember, the dealer's job is to get into your wallet. They either do that in the service department, or the price scares you right into the showroom to look at a new car instead. It's win-win for them!
There are still places "Pick-a-part" to get used parts. The internet has a lot of resources for finding used engines and transmissions if you want to find someone willing to do that.

Dealerships have technicians that are sent to school to work on that manufacturers' car and have to pay bills like anyone here. The dealership has a lot of overhead and a lot of expenses keeping up with all the training and special tools to work on said vehicles. I've seen a lot of customers come to the dealer that overpaid for independent shops to guess or throw parts at their car, in some cases spending thousands more than necessary. A factory tech with factory tools and equipment can save a customer a lot of money on repairs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was just getting ready to take the van (2003 with 119,000) to the dealership for a timing belt and hydrolic motor mount. The day before I noticed steam coming from under the hood and oil dripping on the garage floor. Dealer said the head gaket is bad which is usually caused by failed bolt threads in the aluminum block. Total cost of repair plus a full service for the milage is $2,900.00. The mechanic said Honda knows about this problem and a special Honda tool is availiable to tap the threads in the block without pulling the motor. I probably could have saved a few humdred dollars going to my trusted local mechanic who works on my other car, but I would have to wait much longer to get the car back and he does not use Honda parts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was just getting ready to take the van (2003 with 119,000) to the dealership for a timing belt and hydrolic motor mount. The day before I noticed steam coming from under the hood and oil dripping on the garage floor. Dealer said the head gaket is bad which is usually caused by failed bolt threads in the aluminum block. Total cost of repair plus a full service for the milage is $2,900.00. The mechanic said Honda knows about this problem and a special Honda tool is availiable to tap the threads in the block without pulling the motor. I probably could have saved a few humdred dollars going to my trusted local mechanic who works on my other car, but I would have to wait much longer to get the car back and he does not use Honda parts
I picked up my van today. The original quote was for 3 stripped head bolts. Those were repaired, the head installed and three more stripped out. The tech pulled the head off again and redid all 8 head bolts for good measure. Head is now mounted solid to the block. During the repair he also found 3 broken fuel injectors. The dealer covered the overruns and honored the original quote.

I met the master mechanic who did my repairs. He went over the whole job with me and showed me digital pictures of the repair. Honda of Seattle did a great job on my van. I am disappointed with Honda for this type of engine failure, but have always been very satisfied with this dealership's repair work.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well, my 2006 Ody died. It overheated and blew the head gasket at 148k. I have two quotes with 3 year parts and labor warranties. One for 3600 for a used engine. One for 4200 for a remanufactured engine. That beats the 6500-7000 that I was initially quoted and makes it work fixing based on KBB value of 5100 if it is in fair condition.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts