Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2000 Ex, 26K has a head gasket leak. Dealer diagnosed my coolant leak today and has ordered the part. They had to call tech line on the problem and apparently there has only been 1 or 2 other Odysseys with this problem. I am really depressed that a defect this major happened at 26K miles and they have to disassemble so much to replace the gasket. Van has been almost flawless until now and I planned to keep it many years... now I have lost some faith in the product. this is my 4th Honda.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Actually, if you think about it, 1 or 2 out of thousands seems like a pretty good ratio. Of course to the person with the problem this doesn't mean much. Hope it all works out well for you.

·
1,484 Posts
go sail,

I'm very sorry to hear that. I believe this is just an isolated problem though because I know some owners with substantially more than 26K on theirs and they still haven't run to any MAJOR problems. I hope the repair goes smoothly and I wish you the best of luck on you and your Odyssey.

-nemogira

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Sorry to hear about your leak. Fortunately it's not the end of the world. It could have easily turned into a warped head, scored cylinders or spun bearings. I had a blown head gasket that I had to have replaced on my Isuzu Pickup. I ended up putting 160,000 miles on that truck too.

Expect a long life out of your Ody after the repair.

Keep us posted! I think this is the first major engine related repair on the 2nd Gen Ody I've read about. That's how rare it is.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
22 Posts
Actually, now that you mention it, my coolant reservoir was below the LOW line at my last oil change and the radiator was actually down below the fill line (just covering top of the core).

Hope it's just a coolant leak.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you want to hear something depressing check this out. I took my VW into my mechanic for brakes and an oil change. I have known the owner for a while. He actually warned me against buying the Mercedes SUV because of the maintenance and repair costs. I told him I just bought the Odyssey and asked if he could work on it in the future. Of course he liked the car.

He told me a story about another. He replaced the engine on a 2000 GG Odyssey because the owner had driven owner a big rock and torn the bottem of the engine out. The oil drained and the engine ceased. No insurance coverage - no help from Honda because it was not a defect. He wouldn't tell me the cost of the engine with installation. I bet it was at least $4000.I feel sorry for that person.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Looks like head gasket for me too... nice. Not.

Same story - coolant reservoir keeps emptying and dealer has diagnosed as possible head gasket leak.

This, along with the myriad of other nagging problems really makes you sour on an otherwise excellent riding, driving van.

·
0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I'm sure this is an isolated incident and not a common problem. Stuff happens:) .

·
Registered
596 Posts
I dearly hope that this is isolated to a few vehicles. I just got rid of a head gasket eating Ford Junkstar!!!:(

·
Registered
421 Posts
peterk said:
the owner had driven owner a big rock and torn the bottem of the engine out. The oil drained and the engine ceased. No insurance coverage - no help from Honda because it was not a defect.

This sounds like a road accident claim to his comprehensive-- if indeed an object struck his van while he was driving it and did damage to the vehicle, it is an accident (terrain) and should be covered that way...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts