Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

- Newly registed member, but have been lurking for a while, and am impressed with the club and it's members' know-how.

I recently installed a Sony Xplod stereo in my '01 LX. While it plays fine, it juts out from the dash a couple of inches, and generally looks out of place.

I got the radio w/install kit from Crutchfield. The kit replaces the original storage pocket below the radio with a smaller one above.

Besides jutting out, the assembly is not as rigid as the OEM setup.

My question is, has anyone used the original brackets with a radio swap? The radio has side mounting holes, but says they're for Toyota installations.

Any advice, thoughts (or links to dashboard photos!) would be appreciated.

TIA,

Ramon

·
1,484 Posts
I'm sure you could use the original brackets. Just drill any necessary holes to match up with your headunit. As for it sticking out...I have a Sony MDX-C7900 and it sticks out a little but not by a couple of inches. Check out the different headunits in the gallery and see if their's stick out like yours. Hope this helps.

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rcantu01:
Hey everyone,

- I recently installed a Sony Xplod stereo in my '01 LX. While it plays fine, it juts out from the dash a couple of inches, and generally looks out of place.

I got the radio w/install kit from Crutchfield. The kit replaces the original storage pocket below the radio with a smaller one above.

Any advice, thoughts (or links to dashboard photos!) would be appreciated.

TIA,

Ramon
</font>
Hi Ramon,

That's interesting. I've got some good friends with a '00 LX that installed the same radio from Crutchfield and their's fit just fine. Is is possible you mis-positioned something?

Just a thought....

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, transmission cooler, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Dorhn Hanson has some good pictures in his fototime gallery on how to install an aftermarket headunit using the factory brackets. I can't seem to locate his gallery, but he might be able to chime in, or you can search for his posts, username dlh2, I believe.

The only maybe "tricky" thing is that you need to figure a way to mount the accesory pocket to the radio. A dremel tool w/cutoff wheel to slot the aftermarket radio is one way to do it (be careful though!). People in this forum have had success by using just the side clamping force of the pocket's brackets and friction to hold it in.

-SJ

p.s.- following up on the radio jutting out; when you use those installation kits by Crutchfield (Metra, probably) sometimes it is difficult to get the plastic kit to snap in the dash completely/cleanly. Check to be sure that the kit is flush with the surface of the trim panel. Only the bezel trim ring and faceplace of the stereo should stick out forward of the trim panel.

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 09-24-2001).]

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Ramon,

Here's how my install looks.

I didn't use the Crutchfield kit as I didn't like the looks of the plastic cubbyhole.My head unit only sticks out about half an inch.

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)

http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks Shinjohn, your mention of my gallery in FotoTime re-motivated me! I had let my subscription to FotoTime expire after they became a pay site and experimented with some of the free sites but they suck in comparison. I just signed back up with FotoTime. Here is a link to my pictures including the photo tutorial on changing out the head unit.
http://www.fototime.com/inv/6C047590B581991

All of the aftermarket head units I have looked at are pre-drilled and tapped to accept the factory Honda mounting brackets, so no installation kit is necessary. Just install the factory brackets and storage bin on the new unit, slip it in the dash and mount with the 4 original screws.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You can use the factory brackets, just sink the unit as deep you want it to line up with the edge of the dash. Hopefully 2 or 3 of the holes used for ISO-DINNING the radio will line up with the factory bracket holes, if not, simply drill 1/4 inch holes where they are needed and tap your screws in to secure the radio.

I just want to add, do not use any factory screws or longer screws which may damage the transport of your radio. Use the ISO DIN 1/4 inch screws that comes with your radio. Anything longer may damage the radio and anything larger may strain the chassis of the radio.

Some of the newer Honda kits (bolt in) will also allow ISO DIN mounting of the radio (recess mounting), this may be something you may want to look for if you want a snug fit without any customization. Look around for an aftermarket kit with the ability to ISO DIN MOUNT.

------------------

Here to help

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a ton, Nestor, Steve, ShinJohn, Rob, Dohrn & Toyman!,

I think I needed reassurance more than anything else.

I put a stereo in my sisters Accent over the weekend, and it looked like it was born there! I realized then that not all install kits are built the same.

I swapped the brackets, then fabbed up a way to hold the storage pocket in place. It too now looks factory!

Thanks again, for the advice - now for some speakers... (-:

Ramon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts