Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Headlight bulb burns out every 6 months

20K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  Zilla 
#1 ·
I use the Sylvania Silverstar 9003/HB2 bulbs from Autozone because of their brightness. For some reason, one bulb burns out every six months. I replace it, then the other one burns out, etc. I use latex gloves when installing them.

Any clues why the burn out? Any other suggestions for bright bulbs comparable to Silverstars?

#2 ·
Clean them with ispropyl alcohol and a thick wad of not-lotion-enhanced kleenex, then don't touch the bulb at all.

There might be some nastiness being left on the bulb by the latex gloves.

#3 ·
I have used silverstars and they wouldn't last long at all. I just started buying bulbs off ebay...you can find them for $5-$10 a pair. I buy 2 or 3 sets, that way you have quite a few spares and it's still cheaper than 1 set of the silverstars. 5000k-5500k color temp is what I've found puts out the best light.

#4 ·
Just buy an HID kit for about the cost of a set of silverstars. It will last you a long time

#7 ·
I gotta agree that the Honda OEM are great. we are at 8 years and counting.

#8 ·
paddy5 said:
I also tried the Silverstars and found they only lasted about 6 months. I switched back to OEMs from Honda. Those bulbs never burn out.
How come the OEMs I took out of my ODy were made by Sylvania.?

#9 ·
Slyvania Bulbs

Same goes for me. Honda OEM bulb finally blew out after 7 years! I replaced one with XTRAVision from Sylvania, that bulb blew after only 7 months! Called OSRAM and they had me mail back the one bulb I did not use, they sent me a new pair. Not too happy about the life of these things and they really don't seem any brighter at night :( Stick with OEM stuff, we know that works.

#10 ·
Slyvania Bulbs

Same goes for me. Honda OEM bulb finally blew out after 7 years! I replaced one with XTRAVision from Sylvania, that bulb blew after only 7 months! Called OSRAM and they had me mail back the one bulb I did not use, they sent me a new pair. Not too happy about the life of these things and they really don't seem any brighter at night :( Stick with OEM stuff, we know that works.

#12 ·
reyesrey said:
Because Sylvania has a large market share of the OEM bulbs. My Silverstars (not Ultra) last 2 years. So far I am pleased with replacing them every two years in exchange for the brighter road.
So why do the OEM sylvania's last long when their aftermarket version las half a year.?

#13 ·
fallout09890 said:
So why do the OEM sylvania's last long when their aftermarket version las half a year.?
because it burns hotter with the blue coat

#14 · (Edited)
I'm not sure about the science behind it, but I've been told that you should change both sides when replacing bulbs. Something to do with the efficiency of how the filaments burn. Replacing one side makes the older one burn harder/hotter, making it burn out quicker. Changing both at the same time, makes them burn evenly so they'll last longer. I used to have the same problem on an old car with one side burning out shortly after replacing the other side. After learning about replacing both sides at the same time, I've been finding that my bulbs are lasting longer.

#15 ·
I wanted brighter AND longer-lasting bulbs. The OEMs fail to meet the first part of the AND statement.

I bought a set last week so I'll try them. A customer at the Autozone casually mentioned this too.

#16 ·
#17 ·
richysh said:
because it burns hotter with the blue coat
No, I mean, when you buy a bulb from honda (considered OEM) they are made by Sylvania. So how come those last longer than the Sylvanias sold at walmart

#19 ·
Sylvania has many different models. The silverstars are designed to burn a little whiter and brighter, but they also burn out much quicker. Check the reviews on Amazon. That's just the price you pay for light output of the silverstars. The OEM sylvanias are designed to last a long time at the expense of possibly being not being as bright.

This may be a better approach to getting brighter headlights.
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

#18 ·
just found this thread via search, i'm about to replace the passenger side bulb in my 2003 for the 4th time in 2 years, the driver side bulb is still original. I have been using sylvania replacement bulbs from my local auto parts shop and have been careful not to touch the glass. At least i'm not the only one seeing bulbs lasting only 6 months. The van only has 70k miles on it and is rarely used at night too.

#20 ·
Read carefully. Silver Stars are not brighter just whiter/bluer. No where on their packaging or advertising do they state that they produce more Lumens.

I bought a pair of Silver Stars figuring I'd give them a try. Replaced one original bulb and noticed a whiter/bluer less yellow light but not brighter. Then several weeks later replaced the other original bulb. First Silver Star died after 4-6 months. Second one died also around the same age. Bought OEM bulbs and have had no problems in over two years. I never touch the bulbs. I always hold them in a paper towel and wear surgical gloves.

#23 ·
I've been using Philips Xtreme Power with good results. its uses standard wattage and has up to 80% more light. mine has lasted longer than 2 years now i believe and i used them in all my vehicles. I do have a issue with my civic passenger side where it burns out the bulb every year or so but other than that, its been good in my toyotas. I havent switched to these ones in my Ody yet.

I do know that with these brighter bulbs, they are designed to burn brighter with a much shorter life. they will have these spec'd out if you go ogle it.

here is more info , pros and cons, on HIDs from a lighting expert. HID Lights

Whatever you chose, Please use the proper bulbs and keep your lights properly aligned. it will help prevent accidents.

CK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.