Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to tap into the high beam circuit just behind the headlight. The connector is three pronged. Could someone tell me which prong/wire is hot when the high beams are on? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Unfortunately for you, you need to rethink your logic. Honda doesn't switch the hot side of the lights, they switch the ground. The common lead on the headlamp is hot when the headlamps (high or low) are turned on; the ground individual filaments are grounded through the dimmer.

Back to the drawing board...

BTW: What are you trying to accomplish?

Mel

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am trying to connect a relay to the high beam circuit that will then turn on a set of driving lights when the high beams are turned on.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Put the relay coil in parallel with the high beam filament. According to the '01 ETM: The common (hot, positive, in this case) lead is pin 1, a red/yellow wire. The high filament (ground when high beam on) is on pin 3, an orange/white wire. Source for the driving lights comes from the battery (fused near the battery, of course). BTW: Electrically, this is exactly the way the high beam indicator light is wired.

Hope this helps,
Mel

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mel. As it turns out it was the 3rd wire I tried (of course) bottom left pin that goes on with the high beam switch.

I mounted the PIAAs in the air dam, used spacers to raise the bracket up to the center, where the middle wing ran. Just had to cut out the one section and one lower bracket for each lamp. Looks pretty good. Will post some pictures when I can.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
sameshima said:
Thanks Mel. As it turns out it was the 3rd wire I tried (of course) bottom left pin that goes on with the high beam switch.
Sorry, there is no wire on the headlamps that goes to +12V (actually battery/alternator level) when the high beams are on. What you're connected to is the GROUND for the LOW beam. (I bet the wire you connected to is white/red.) If you are connected this way, you're powering your relay THROUGH the low beam filament; it "works" because the relay doesn't really need "full" voltage to engage. Wired this way, if you burn out your LOW beam headlamp your driving lights won't work!

Mel

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just one question. Why don't the driving lights come on when the low beams are on, and do come on when the high beams are on?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
sameshima said:
Just one question. Why don't the driving lights come on when the low beams are on, and do come on when the high beams are on?
Because when the LOW beams are on this lead is connected to GROUND, through the dimmer switch.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Who is someone? Do you have DRL? If you have daytime running lights then high beams are sent lower voltage for DRL.

·
Registered
14,063 Posts
Im trying to do leds ..someone said the highs dont see 12v?
This is a really old thread, relating to second generation vans (1999-2004) so disclosing exactly what you have or asking questions in the section related to your model year is probably better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts