Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there will be some out there who will be scratching their head, asking, "why is this guy trying to change brand new bulbs on a brand new ody for anyway" Well, I have put silverstar bulbs in all my vehicles headlights, and this new ody is no exception.
However, I had a real tough time removing the factory installed bulbs. The low beam lamps were difficult, but the high beams are almost impossible to remove. I managed to get the right side, but I could not get enough leverage to twist the left high beam bulb out. After trying for a while, I gave up for fear of breaking the housing. I hardly think there is anyone out there who has had to replace a high beam bulb in an 05 yet, but I would like to ask if any of you fellow ody owners could just try to maneuver a hand on to the back of the driver side high beam bulb. Then tell me, is it just me, or is there a slight problem with that design.

I also have not seen any type of aiming adjusters for the headlamps. Maybe I am missing something there also.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Megaburp - The Silverstars sold in the US are a waste of money. All they do is coat the bulb to have a "whiter" light. You are actually getting less light output.

If you want brighter lighting, try the Sylvania Xtravision (?) OEM replacements.

The Silverstars sold in Europe however are a different product.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"The Silverstars sold in the US are a waste of money"

I fully understand the false claims, high price, and shortened life of these bulbs. (I don't pay retail) and thanks for the input. However, my question remains in the replacement of the high beam bulbs.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'll have to pop the hood and take a look when I take delivery of the van tomorrow.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have Silverstars and I love them.
I disagree with chuckerants.
They put out more light and are more HID-like.
(If only Odys came with HIDs :rolleyes: )

I tried to get to the high-beam too. Virtually impossible (I gave up too).
Do a search, I think others have had similar difficulties.

·
Registered
277 Posts
chuckerants said:
We love the brightness of silverstar :) :) :)
I only have low beam...high beam I think will be too much bright for the incoming vehicles. The other thing when it's foggy ( depends where you live) and you used the high beam...the fog blocks the white light that the view is limited...noticed that most foglights are yellowish. Original high beam bulb is good enough.:cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I have them (Silverstars) on low beams, and they are much better than stock. I actually had an opportunity to see 2 05 Odys side by side - one with stock lights and another one with Silverstars - there was quite noticeable difference !

·
Registered
296 Posts
Ditto that. These lights are awesome. People always asked us if our van has HID stock. I just told them they're Silverstars.

·
Registered
780 Posts
When I replaced my headlamps in my 2005 EX-L I had to take a stubby Philips screwdriver and loosen 3 screws on the lamp retaining ring to get my bulbs out.... It took me a long time to replace the high-beam bulbs. And on the right side bulb you have to slide the power steering reservoir out of it's holder.

It helps to have an extra elbow in your arm too:D :D

I have ridden in a vehicle with SilverStar bulbs and was NOT impressed with the quality of light, but if you want some REAL light look at thees bulbs from Hella at Summit Racing Equipment

Search for Hella light bulbs part number HLA-78310 for high beams and HLA-78316 for low beams (those are the ones I bought....

Update: hella changed the part numbers of the HLA-78316 to HLA-H83165271 and the HLA-78316 will probably get a new number soon. search the Internet for the new part numbers and you might find a better price than at Summit Racing. end update.

$7.99 & $6.39 respectively EACH plus S+H (how much are Silverstars and other "high performance" bulbs at Pep Boys et al????)

I would install these in my Ody for off road use only.......as they are NOT DOT approved.... ;) ;) ;)

DOT approved High beams are 60W, These are 100W
DOT approved Low beams are 55W, These are 80W

Oh and my Off Road testing in at least two vehicles has shown that they do NOT melt the wireing harness........ but you MUST go to low beam early or blind oncoming traffic like you had HID bulbs....

Buy a spare to keep as they MAY have a shorter life than a standard bulb (I have not noticed any bulb burn outs in a 1986 Corvette that I drove for 4 years with them) and you cannot get them easy as most retail stores do not stock them.

BTY they cost a LOT less than any of the "High performance" bulbs you find at Pep Boys et al....

I would LOVE to see a side beside comparison in person in matching vehicles, but I don't want to waste my money on SilverStar et al bulbs....;)

·
Registered
423 Posts
KiteSquid said:
I have ridden in a vehicle with SilverStar bulbs and was NOT impressed with the quanity of light, but if you want some REAL light look at thes bulbs High Beam and Low Beam ($7.99 & $6.39 respectvaly EACH plus S+H) that I would install in my Ody for off road use only.......as they are NOT DOT approved....
The links don't work, and I tried to do a search on that website with just "PIAA" and the only thing that came up was over $200.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Sorry...

They are Hella bulbs... part numbers HLA-78310 and HLA-78316

I've fixed the links in my earlyer post.... sorry..

I LOVE these bulbs... but dont use them on the highways...;) ;) ;)

BTW I would like to see a set of European SilverStar bulbs as they have a much higher light output than the American versions, but the European bulbs are NOT DOT approved, and would be for off road use only;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So tell me KiteSquid,

"I had to take a stubby philips screwdriver and loosen 3 screws on the lamp retaining ring to get my bulbs out.... It took me a long time to replace the highbeam bulbs"

Looks like we are the only 2 who attempted to change the high beam bulbs. I will try that loosening the 3 screws thing and see if it helps. It may lessen the O-ring compression on the lamp I guess.
I am still waiting to see if someone has an answer to my second question. Is there a way to adjust the aiming of the low beam headlights? Strange design.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have Silverstars and I love em...much brighter than OEM..didn't have problem taking out the old bulb. Just twist and pull and the bulbs were out!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Houdyssey said:
I have Silverstars and I love em...much brighter than OEM..didn't have problem taking out the old bulb. Just twist and pull and the bulbs were out!
My OEM bulbs were QUITE tight and I KNOW I am monkey fisted... I am tough on equipment and I did not want to buy a new headlamp housing due to getting overaly agressive with it, so I loosened the three screws..... and tightened them after replacing the bulbs...

·
Registered
780 Posts
Re: So tell me KiteSquid,

MEGABURP said:
I am still waiting to see if someone has an answer to my second question. Is there a way to adjust the aiming of the low beam headlights? Strange design.
The headlamp adjusters are the little star shaped washers you see when looking at the back of the headlamp assembly.

You insert a philips screwdriver in front of it and the screwdriver engages the teath in the washer....

Look at step 87 on page 17 of the fog lamp instalation instruction from College Hill Honda HERE to see how to adjust the fog lamps... it is the same for the headlamps, but the adjusters are accessed from the top......

Aslo ths reminder from the fog lamp instalation procedures:

"Do not touch the bulb. Oily or greasy substances on the bulb can shorten its service life due to the heat produced when the bulb is turned on. If the bulb is accidentally touched, wipe it clean with a
clean, soft cloth that has been dampened with denatured alcohol or a mild detergent solution."

BTW I would use Alcohol as you have less chance of leving any residue....

·
Registered
255 Posts
MEGABURP,
I just opened the owners manual and it says you have to have a dealer adjust your headlights. *sigh*

I guess someone with a shop manual will have to tell you. I won't have one for another while yet.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
nathana said:
MEGABURP,
I just opened the owners manual and it says you have to have a dealer adjust your headlights. *sigh*

I guess someone with a shop manual will have to tell you. I won't have one for another while yet.
Yes I read the same thing, but now I must have a second look since reading the last quote by KiteSquid.

Thanks Kite, I will let you know.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Let me know how it works out...

I have not had to adjust my lights......yet....

But I do have to go to low beam kinda early..

And people think my low beams are high beams somtimes...

BTW I can see the reflection from a deer's eye at over a mile.....when on high beam. and the lights dont put out too much blue light so I will have less scattering of light in fog.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had silverstars in my Highlander and I realy liked them. Want to get it for the Odyssey but they don't make H8 to match the fogs. I wanted the lows and fogs to match.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts