Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Kind of spendy... I don't know that paying $20 bucks per headlight is worth it when $5 worth of polish will get the same results. Just hit your headlights with the same wax or sealant you do your paint with two or three times a year and that will provide enough UV protection to keep them from fading. Nobody makes a product that lasts forever after one application. They would sell very little of the product if they did because you would only have to buy it once. The real money is making products to use regularly to maintain the vehicle. This product seems to be marketed to people who are going to apply it for others.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had to renew the headlights on my 12 year old car a while ago. Turtle Wax has a product in a green box that left the headlights looking showroom new. It was a multi-step process that took about an hour per headlight. As I recall, the product was around $9 at WalMart.

:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
tested on my dad's tacoma

original

looks good? but almost there..

done!

the driver side
original

done

no buffing here :coolio:
both headlights took about an hour. though just a test, it turned out pretty good!

after a month and 2 weeks... NO halo/yellowing/fading!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I used the 3m one and got great results. The bad thing is it doesn't seem to last. It only takes a few months and it starts to haze again. I'm almost tempted to just buy new headlights.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
188 Posts
I used the 3M kit also but you have to wax the headlights regularly to get UV protection. My plan is to buy a can of clear coat in a spray can and apply a couple of coats so I don't have to worry with them hazing again.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Has waxing/clear coat been working for you? I'm almost thinking of just replacing the lights with some off eBay or amazon. And maybe if I have time which is looking unlikely these days, do an HID retrofit to the new lights.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I haven't ever been able to find much in the way of aftermarket headlights on the Odyssey. They are easy for cars typically modified, but I guess there isn't much demand for Odyssey stuff.

You really don't have to worry too much about the oxidation coming back right away. If you remove it, then it is gone. You could clearcoat it again I guess, but that won't protect it as well as just keeping them clean. Wax or seal them or use something else meant for UV protection on clear plastics and you are a lot better off than clear coating them. Or even get the headlight "clear bra" type film which protects them from rock chips and yellowing.

My Odyssey has a hundred thousand miles on it and is several years old. It has never needed headlight restoration. I wax them when I wax the rest of the paint. It takes serious neglect to oxidize and yellow headlights, so unless you picked up the van after a few years of no protection and then went on to ignore the headlights for a few more years, it isn't likely this kind of thing is going to crop up overnight.

Just as a random example, here are some headlights I restored recently. It took about 30 seconds with a polisher and paint polish to clear them up. No fancy headlight restoration kit required.

I taped off half of them so you could tell the difference.

After:

Those are lenses that are several years old and they just yellowed over time. It is just on the surface and cleaning them up was a breeze. I would have felt guilty if I had charged someone what some places charge for this kind of work. It literally took less than five minutes to completely clear these lenses and put a coat of protectant on them.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
The kits market the masses that have a cordless drill. Not everyone has a polisher and products at their disposal.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Most of those kits are just sand paper and polish though. Not all of them come with a drill attachment. Even still... if you have a drill attachment and a polishing pad, then regular old paint polish does exactly the same thing as what is in those kits. In fact, I used to do headlight restoration by hand using GS27 Scratch Remover and blue shop towels. The headlight restoration kits are typical consumer grade products which market to the fear that people have about working on their car. The general public believes that polishing paint is something difficult and only a professional can do it. Same for rock chips, window chips, headlight restoration, overspray removal, and any number of other things which are easy to solve with a little know how and a trip to the auto part store. That is the whole reason I even started writing stuff on my site. I'm just trying to take a little bit of the mystery out of detailing so people aren't so scared of it and they start doing it themselves.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Usually I park my cars inside and never have foggy headlight issues. But I got the van used and they were fogged already.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The good news is that in most cases unless the lens or housing was cracked and the fogging is on the inside of the light, then it isn't too tough to repair old foggy lenses. It is pretty amazing how fast they will degrade once that clear coat wears off though. You can go from perfectly fine looking lights for years to foggy in less than a few months. Then from there it just gets worse. That is the point where you need to start applying some sort of UV protectant on them fairly regularly. Once you clean it off you have to maintain them or it will come back regardless of what kit or product you use.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts